Duds' 2002 bee em double ewe

I would second using epoxy paste and strips of alloy. Use something decent like devcon or my favourite- JB weld.

Glad to see progress on this. Such cool little cars and very rare I ever see one around Nelson.I think only one here? Cant imagine there's many others about NZ?

I say have a continue on doing your own repairs to body- you'll just get better and better and the grinder will always be your best friend at making things look neat. Just keep all repairs low enough you can finish off with a thin skim of filler.

Oh and we aint in America...  All this 'fender' talk...  If its got a bonnet and boot its got wings. :-)   (can of worms now open)

• Like 2

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 8 months later...

Hay man looks good.  Good to see there is no rust under the guards.

What are you doing about Brakes??  Going to need a bit of an upgrade with that under the bonnet.  

I got a set e21 323 discs and calipers that I will be putting up on trade me soon. 

Hey mate I'd be keen as for the disks and calipers if I can get them working. I've read they should fit without much modification, but I'd need tii struts with the stronger spindles they have. PM me with an idea of price and I'll read up on it more :)

The discs are near new, just a bit of surface rust and the pads look to be new as well.  

Have a look for info on swapping the e30 trailing arms over that will give you rear disc also.  

And keep an eye out for a small case lsd out of a e36 318. Will fit in to your small case housing and be way stronger .

I have 250 in my head.  I'm thinking it's fair. The discs are near new, just a bit of surface rust and the pads look to be new as well.  

Have a look for info on swapping the e30 trailing arms over that will give you rear disc also.  

And keep an eye out for a small case lsd out of a e36 318. Will fit in to your small case housing and be way stronger .

Cheers mate I'll keep that in mind and will see what my wallets looking like after nats. I've read up lots on swapping e30 rear trailing arms into a 2002 and looks like a heap of work..

HOWEVER after looking it up again, I came across a heap of articles from people saying that e21 rear trailing arms bolt in with no modification and are only 5~6mm wider each side than standard 2002. This means I'll have to use coilovers as there's no spring perch on them (was going to go the coilover route anyway) and should be able to use disks on the back too. Woo!

It's a shame that small case LSDs as rare as hen's teeth

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Shit. Feeling like an ass. I will 100% get the motor to the freight this weekend. My boss borrowed the trailer last week and I still don't have it back.

That rear offset looks good, a little rework to the guards and it will all work out nicely.

I have spoken to auto clutch and to get the clutch rebuilt with a carbon Kevlar plate, rebuilt heaver cover and resurfaced fly wheel will be under 700. Just a FYI.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

rad. In regards to clutches, I've got a HD E30 325i clutch kit in mine and seems to hold up fine (m10 and m20 clutches are interchangeable it seems).

Although, you'll be probably have a bit more torque than me!

What wheels are you planning on running man? Or you not quite at that step yet?

• Like 1

rad. In regards to clutches, I've got a HD E30 325i clutch kit in mine and seems to hold up fine (m10 and m20 clutches are interchangeable it seems).

Although, you'll be probably have a bit more torque than me!

What wheels are you planning on running man? Or you not quite at that step yet?

Thanks Sprak, will be investigating what to do with the clutch in the near future. I'll be using the clutch I currently have (thanks Brockzilla) to test everything works and moves freely once the work has been done to the engine. Have also thought about getting the clutch refurbished as well and see whats involved there. Exciting

I/karl also have a bunch of other m20 bits. Injectors, idle control valve, afm etc etc.

But I have to figure out How to make my car purr like a walrus first. It doesn't idle like a late 80's drug dealer/ luxobarge should.

That'd be awesome man. I'm in need of the fiddly bits you mentioned. I think I'm good for cam and the valve stuff as I still have the worn stuff from the m20b25. But yeah, will PM ya about the other stuff. Boom!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hey team, quick question -  getting ready to weld some strengthening plates to the ol' subframe of this thing.. Do I need a professional to weld these on for certification purposes or does that not matter as long as the welds are strong? 

NeAFiTIm.jpg AcskbX0m.jpg