2002: A Duddley/BMW Odyssey

Duddley

2G0mtC6l.jpg FTjF80ql.jpg

New page finally! Woo!

Took the engine apart finally. Looks like someones been trying to run this thing on water (not me)

Can anyone recommend someone in Hawke's Bay / Manawatu that's a good bugger at tickling heads?

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey hey, finally update time. Something worthy of update anyway..

This might look like a typical dreamy fitment

UJQoZGll.jpg

But this is testing out the e21 323i rear trailing arms with disk brakes!

hi2HtVql.jpg

What a flash bugger eh

Big thanks to Brockzilla for sparing these. The trailing arms literally bolted on with no modification. However I had to source some slightly smaller ID outer bearings for the trailing arm which matched the ID of the inner bearing so I could use the original stub axle from the 2002 so it could mate up with the half shaft from the diff. The hard to find bearings ended up coming from some new Honda bike gearbox!

A side effect of running e21 trailing arms on a 2002 is they make the wheels sit 5mm to 10mm wider

kAKg5cZl.jpg

This means I'll have to pull and roll the guards a bit.. Or demon camber!!?!?! Nah, but it will mean I'll get cool kids points for sure.

Other stuff I've been messing with is amassing all the bits needed for a 2.8ltr stroker conversion for the m20b25 and have also picked up a 5 speed gearbox. I have the 2.8 crank as well as the crank oil seal and am waiting on the 130mm conrods from a 2.3ltr engine I'm collecting from Brockzilla some time soon. Then will take all the engine bits n' pieces to get cleaned/machined up.

I've also continued to work strip and paint the other front guard and other stuff around the car, but nothing worthy of an update yet. 

But a 2002 with disk brakes all round is something I've always pined for! Bloody beaut

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

Finally have all the grubby bits needed for the 2.8 stroker

dKAl9Cih.jpg

This includes (from bottom) a M52B28 2.8ltr crank from a 328i, 130mm conrods from a M20B20, clutch, flywheel, M20B25 pistons and 885 head as well as a 5 speed Getrag 245.

Not pictured is the M20B25 block and other boring stuff the engine needs to go. I also have the crank oil seal that needs to be machined to suit this build. Will get to that in a future post.

The 130mm conrods are a perfect fit for the 2.8ltr crank as they're 5mm shorter than the rods from the M20B25 and means they're a perfect length for the top of the piston to meet the top of the block, like so

0fLahzgh.jpg

Piston on the left is connected with the 2.5ltr rod and is 5mm taller than the top of the block. The piston on the right uses the 130mm rod and will be perfect after it's all cleaned up.

UTeUNmsh.jpg

Now I can take this stuff to a good bugger and get it tested, machined, cleaned up and then work out what to do next. 

Stay tuned

• Like 9

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here's the E21 rear trailing arms getting modified for future coilover goodness

yQCSWVLl.jpg
Before removing the old shock mount

Hjt1FOIl.jpg
After removing the old shock mount

SiNS96kl.jpg
Ground back the dodgy old welds

xwiUfdul.jpg
Ready for adding the new coilover mounting tabs

*Missing photo of endless cutting and grinding of the two tabs so they'll fit. Yawn

9yYFIibl.jpg
Tacked on

rq99ayvl.jpg
Here's another I prepared earlier

qyQi9KFl.jpg
Not a bad days effort. 

Will mount everything up and test fit it all before welding everything on properly. Then get all this pesky suspension stuff powdercoated!

Yay progress yay

• Like 8