austin owner's1975 austin 1300

Greenie

hi there, 
so i recently brought a 1975 (or74) austin 1300.
got it for $2000 of a friend who needed the money for uni. i had always wanted one and when the opportunity came up i jumped at the chance.
it has a wof and  rego and at the moment im using it as my every day driver to get to work.    
my plans for it later on would be to make it original but for now i am going to have fun and make it into a old school raty. 
there is a lot of work to be done- body work, little bit of rust, paint, and chrome, just to start, but thats all for later. 

if anyone can give me any advice or tips and tricks i am aways up to learn new stuff. and ill most likely be asking for advice a fair bit.
thanks everyone
(pictures will follow, soon!) 

(discussion)

• Like 1

so i found an old roof rack in the shed and it fit!! but it was boring and ugly, so todays project was building a wooden slatted roof rack using the same mounts 
results are as follows!!

the old
5etamp4c.gm2.jpg

building the new one

qvc3em32.55x.jpg

and first test fit on the car!! 
qwfazeku.1au.jpg
xpgv2uah.pro.jpg

so thats was as far as i got with that today, i had to do the first coat of treatment on the timber this arvo, and i also have another brace to put across the middle. 

another this that happened today regarding the car- i purchased a new air filter as it desperately needed one, and its surprising the difference it makes haha   
hlftrsjr.4mt.jpg

and i went to one of the many op shops in town and brought a $4 suit case for the roof.. think it is fitting 
juufonis.wis.jpg
 and thats pretty much been my day, there will be another post tomorrow when i finish my roof rack, stay tuned!! 

-> (discussion) <-

• Like 2

So today was all the little odd jobs, nothing major (yet) - finish roof rack, seat covers, and my sticker arrived! yay! 

roof rack!
i1v4nqy5.fvy.jpg

sticking shuff one it!
kw5zda5f.eck.jpg

no more hot asses!

ek3zqglf.4bj.jpg

and the sticker that just says it all...
obsj5hkv.vsd.jpg

and finally for today, i have to confess i made a mistake... i left my fuel cap at the petrol station. dam it... so if anyone has one spare and would be willing to sent it too me, please pm me, i havnt been able to find anyone around my area that has one.. i will pay you back the postage and whatever you think the cap is worth (within reason).  but for now the old dish cloth will have to do. 
mdjvxywf.dfm.jpg 

-> (discussion) <-

so i wasn't planning on posting anything today but considering my exhaust decided to fall apart yesterday i thought it should share.

driving home yesterday the car started scrapping over speed bumps and considering it hasn't been lowered at all i thought it was strange, so i parked up, had a look.... and found this...

wcg4v5z3.vku.jpg

the mount in the middle of the car... was a zip tie, so it melted. and the exhaust that was only welded half the way around and had caved in on itself. 

and took me from 8pm-11pm too fix it...  

1xmvt4yq.yea.jpg

cyek5cff.3vc.jpg

bottom

a5rllkc1.i4a.jpg

top..

qf2vgtwt.r51.jpg

layed out

4kcc0h4u.5yo.jpg

bird shit welding.

lniffacm.t3r.jpg

my better but not perfect re-welding...

qzqlxprv.pnr.jpg

dao4bykr.kkc.jpg

and yes i know i'm not the worlds neatest welder, but at least now its solid and isn't going to fall out again... and plus now it doesn't have a large crack that the top that leaks into the car.. 
its quieter now too.. which i don't like. but still has a good tone to it so i cant complain.

-> (discussion) <-

• Like 2

right so nothing has happened this week as ive been working alot. but today i managed to lower the wee' austin and see how she goods! 
only manged to get it down 30mm (ish) as the sump was only 125mm off the ground as it is. so its now sitting about 95mm in the front and about 115mm at the back. 

before

3izac0nh.fok.jpg

and after!!

fzdjpc0v.024.jpg

and more

50sk0rvx.nam.jpg

not overly dramatic but considering it already quite low to the ground its not that bad, plus i think closing the gap to the fender looks a lot better.

turned a lot more head when in town this arvo too,, plus only scraped on a couple of speed bumps..

ltpuczgr.3ts.jpg  

please tell me what you think.. > (discussion) <-

had a bit of car trouble the last few days, been pissing down with rain and so i found out the hard way that because the distributor i is at the front of the engine right behind the grill, it gets wet and doesn't work. so a quick spray of WD40 and that was sorted... but the real problem came with the peace of shit, electrical taped,and wired tied, starter motor connection that fell off.. not surprising i guess. so in short i couldn't take it to work because i hadn't found out about this until later. 

i fixed it this afternoon with the right nuts and washer. 
just proves how the small things can ruin your day.

> (discussion) <-

right so today i had the car booked in to get new tires and that went all sweet, but it desperately needed a wheel alignment which i didn't really want to have to pay for but hey its done now, found out due to a previous accident the back right wheel was sitting 14mm in from the gard so after straightening it a spacer was put on to make it all flush and proper. BUT the real trouble came when they were taking it off the hoist when the starter that i thought i had fixed yesterday, decided to burn out, so they couldn't even drive it off. The starter was removed and taken to an auto electrician and hopefully will be back in the car and going good by tomorrow some time.   fingers crossed!!

-> (discussion) <-

GOT THE AUSTIN BACK! got the call this morning to say that it was ready to pick up, so i went and got it one the way to work. looked great with the new wheels ( after i cleaned that blue shit off it haha). $120 later i had to repaired started motor. turns out the rubber seal that was preventing the earth touching the terminal had melted and as a result shorted out.  its all sweet now, starts first time! well sometimes. second time mostly..

qz55px3u.boi.jpg

so today i managed to lower it another 10mm but one side went down more that the other and so i had to let the other side down to even more.. so its a little bit too much low.. 
so i decided to bight the bullet and book in to get it pumped back up again on sunday, lets just home the cops dont pull me over between now and then.
also i took it for a drive tonight once it was lower and there as a weird rattle noise that i hadnt heard before, so i think that the harder ride is taking its toll. i think it may just be the exhaust rattle though as its only happening at lower revs along with the fact there is no proper mount in the middle of the exhaust. fingers crossed its something easy. 

if anyone has any ideas then please please help! -> (discussion) <-

ill put a photo up later of the new ride height

havn't updated in a couple of days but basically nothing has happened really, i got the car pumped up on sunday and it rides a lot better and there's not as meany creeks and noises, but definitely doesn't look as good haha seems to be running fine and starting first time most days. getting keen for beach hop this weekend too! only going on saturday though because of work, but definitely message me if you are going to be there! would love to chat.  -> (discussion) <-

• 2 weeks later...

sorry i havn't posted in awhile, nothing much has been going on though. made it to beach hop, got lost of attention so was pleased with that. nothing mechanical wrong which is also good. so really nothing to complain about, and just for another positive. we got our new shed in!! almost ready too! so im pretty keen for that.

ahyux4bf.2ms.jpg

• 3 months later...

HELLO!! first i would like to apologize for the slack updates, i know its been awhile so there is abit to talk about.

since my last update i have failed wof twice and havnt gone back since as i've encountered problems that need attention. 

but firstly the reasons i failed wof..
> first attempt - rear right drum had only 10% braking force, rear sub-frame was too far to the right so the left side was rubbing, headlights needed to be aligned. and there was exhaust leaks.
> second attempt. after fixing what i could... i failed on brakes again, right rear drum had 60% and was clearly still not good enough to pass. 

since last time, i have removed the roof rack as it started to sag and i was getting over it, i am still looking for a metal caged roof rack, old school one of course, so if any of you out there have one for sale and it is small enough to fit my lil car, plz get in touch with me.

i have added a radio, new not old school, two 6x9's tucked under the back seats, still need to finished off the box so it looks better but hey it works, and i put the head unit under dash so is unseen from outside and is unperturbed inside. 

>got a new battery as the other one stopped holding its charge.
>got new points in the distributor because it was miss firing due to bad spark. 

>car was fine up until the battery died, and now it doesnt seem to be running right at all, the engine isnt keeping up with the throttle.
>tightened the throttle cable, helped but didnt solve the problem, 
>refurbished the fuel pump, better but still hasn't fixed the problem.       

and am currently still working on it but weather has been bad so ive been quiet unmotivated

photos are of things that have happened since last update.

(getting the holes in the exhaust fixed) 
x1hkni2d.e21.jpg

(new exhaust mounts)
o0vyctop.xgh.jpg

(suspension rubbing before i fixed it) 
1boliowt.df4.jpg

(brakes covered in fluid before cleaning them) 

pukldmdx.un5.jpg

(the speakers under the back seat, still yet to finish cover the MDF in back fabric) 

2c4uicvn.5js.jpg

and finally the old girl at vtnz before she failed the second time

izjbo3ov.uaa.jpg

-> (discussion) <-

hello everyone, i took the day off work today because i've hurt my back so cant do much at work. but i managed to get a little bit done on the car while i was home
>did the timing and now she runs and revs right up all good, so i'm quite happy with that, its sounding better than before i put it way haha 
>covered my speaker box so that looks neat.

>tided up the wiring inside the car as well so its looking better inside 
>and considering my heater had been disconnected i just took the control panel off from the bottom of the dash so that looks cleaner now too.
>also painted the back light rings as they were the only pieces of chrome apart from the door handles that weren't black, but i quickly changed that.  

still waiting on new brake pads from wellington and hopefully they will arrive this week and i will be driving my car again by the weekend!! :D :D

(speakers covered) 

vtdkxubk.ty0.jpg

(before painting)

lwkbfpko.z2r.jpg

(AFTER!!) 
kgig1f4p.sdc.jpg

-> (discussion) <-

so ive been having trouble tracking down new brakes as i was looking for a whole shoe but cant find anyone in the country with new or secondhand ones. so tomorrow while im at work my dads going to take my brake shoes in and get them sent to hamilton so they can get relined with new brake pads and we'll just have to use them, hopefully its done soon because im sick of driving my parents cars while the austin isnt going :cry:  that the trouble of having your project as your daily  :cry:

ITS BACK ON THE ROAD!! finally back on the road and driving all sweat. been driving it flat out for the last two days to make up for lost time over the last 2 months. adjusted the brakes, re bleed the clutch, broke a spark plug then replaced it haha. and then it was all good
brakes got relined during last week so its as good as new now :)

enjoy.

r0o5yq1h.tuy.jpg  

• Like 1