FR50 tinker build

MKD

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3D printing came out OK - its a little rough but easy to clean up being plastic. One of the switch housings doesn't quite fit the larger switch for the headlights, but it shouldn't be too hard to persuade it.

Stoked overall though - cost about $15 for these two out of black ABS

f7db0a2c-814a-40d0-8226-2e30542e625f_zps

20140801_082652_zpsrvq09rzt.jpg

• Like 2

question on kill switch wiring..

I've got a momentary on/off switch and looking to wire it as a kill switch.

My theory is it gets wired between the coil primary (my thinking of coil primary is the small wire on the stator side?) and a good ground...so in effect when the switch is depressed for a while it grounds the stator charge and kills the plug spark/supply to the HV coil?

correct? or tell me how.

Chur

Update pic dump.

3d printed switchblocks fit sweet. Was a bit suss drilling out 16mm holes in a 22mm alloy bar but think it should be ok as long as i dont do jumps...the posh switches are in inch and 7/8 so there'd be more meat left on the inch bars.

Still need to tap a 3mm hole for the screws and wire everything in.

Got my rego notice in the mail just now lol. Been on the road about 15mins total out of that 6month rego...possible 40mins if you count pushing it home!

imagejpg3_zps4e1e8740.jpg

imagejpg1_zpsc24905f4.jpg

imagejpg2_zps175dd2fe.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Progress...got the wiring sussed and headlight fitted. Stoked the OEM headlight fits sweet into the vintage housing. May have to adjust angle a bit, but its pretty good so far.

next is fitting tyres - bought some Shinko 241's ala postie bikes, and painting wheels

what are people using as seat bases at the moment? skateboard wont fit properly, have no sheetmetal facilities (or skill haha) really, I could possibly fibreglass something...ideas?

imagejpg1_zps0cea73fd.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cheers, I think it was $90 for the boring and $45 for the piston kit 0.5 oversize.

I couldn't find an actual FR50 piston but the JR50 / LT50 ones are the same.

so far it runs ok but its lean as i think its got an air leak somewhere - it does 65kmh at the moment but should get better when it runs richer

thats not a bad price, i might budget for that job next winter. have you checked out the FR50 parts on EBAY? it coming down with original and reproduction parts if your having trouble finding them. the only prob can be 4 weeks to arrive!

I've been on the lookout for a donor bike for a while but nothing local has come along. cool build and thanks for the info :) 

• 8 months later...

This thing is doing my head in with not starting....so anyone with a fr50 let me know what settings your running (running well) carb settings are at!!

Can you post air/fuel mix screw and idle speed screw settings (amount of turns out from hard wound in) then at least i can go from there.

So far ive checked and or replaced - coil, condenser, points, plug, plug cap, plug gap, timing, fuel tap, jets, needle, air filter, fuel tubing, tank filter....the list goes on.

Carb is it i know it haha

Chur.

Points are set sweet although theyre original so i could maybe replace them.

Got it going again, seems it floods pretty easily and have to take out the plug for few kicks and dry it out gefore it'll turn over again.

I might just bite the bullet and take it in for a tune...

• 4 weeks later...

Sussed this btw. Effing points...but sorted and starts first kick like a boss on hardly any choke. Finally.

Next on the list is the seat. The fa50 seat actually looks pretty cool on it after a random set-if-it-fits but still probably going with the seatbelt brat-style seat...when i get round to it

Then tail light...

Crustywhip you have dimensions on a chamber for these?