Advokit's AE85 Trueno Notch Jap Style Build

advokit

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes not too far off strength wise compared to W5* series as Sambo said. They have been known to break behind Turbo Altezzas and from what I am told the cause is purely a circlip that pops off. Apparently you can machine the groove where said circlip sits and they are pretty much bulletproof. I havent looked into this as I wont be pushing much more then 150HP into it and 20V doesnt really make enough Torque to break it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Mint_86 what measurement are you after, from top of shock thread to underneath the spindle?  Im pulling the struts out either this weekend or next week at some stage to fit bushes, RCAs etc so I can take whatever measurement you need.

They are not AE86 struts though they are MX73 and have been shortened by around 70mm from memory. Im not sure if that makes a difference?

Let me know what you need and Ill whip the tape measure out when I have it apart.

Hey man, yea bottom of spindle to top of shock thread would be awesome thanks. I have some welded coilovers that i will chuck in at some stage but dont think they are short enough to get the height i want.

Cheers,

Clifton

Hey man yeah - 585mm front bottom (under spindle) to top thread.  My ones are MX73 ones but will be the same for AE86 ones. 

I can highly recommend Racelign in Auckland if you want to build up some decent shocks. Shane there is a good bugger. 

• 5 weeks later...

Hey mate. I'm interested in the KE70 booster and AE111 master conversion you've done. Are there any special tricks involved or does it all just bolt on? Is it an aftermarket booster or factory one as I can't seem to find a factory one that is that small? Model specific maybe?

The cylinder/drum looks smaller than the AE85 or AE86 ones which would enable me to run longer trumpets. Currently can't go longer than 75mm. Would be very interested in your reply. Cheers!

• Like 1

@hachirokuGTV - Hey man. No special tricks involved as far as fitting goes, the KE70 booster bolts straight in and the the AE101/111 master bolts straight up. (just make sure its non ABS). I actually think mine was AE101 from memory.

You will need to make up some new brake lines though, I just grabbed some long ones from pick a part and bent them up. I then took cut the end off and got a brake place to reflare the end. (they didnt even charge me).

The KE70 booster is quite a bit smaller, apparently guys run them when they do 1UZ conversions to gain more space. Im in the same line of thinking as you, I want longer trumpets as 75mm isnt the ideal length - ive heard 100-110mm is the sweet spot. 

I cant tell you which KE70 it was from but im guessing an early one? I bought mine off Trademe.

Let me know if you need anymore info.

ah thats where the ma45 shaft went!  was searching all the cars around it hoping it'd been put out of the way heh.

Re ma45 rear disks..  are you making adaptors to space the 86 calipers out and sideways?  im curious how that goes aye.

Also the oem lsd aren't 1 or 1.5way.  That only applies to the ramping style lsd.  The oem lsd with spring loaded clutch are at a fixed load and don't lock up once they start slipping.   I'd suggest to check the break away torque and constant torque to see if it's in working condition.  ie put the axles in it, clamp one still and rig something up on the other axle to turn it with a torque wrench.

ah thats where the ma45 shaft went!  was searching all the cars around it hoping it'd been put out of the way heh.

Re ma45 rear disks..  are you making adaptors to space the 86 calipers out and sideways?  im curious how that goes aye.

Also the oem lsd aren't 1 or 1.5way. That only applies to the ramping style lsd. The oem lsd with spring loaded clutch are at a fixed load and don't lock up once they start slipping. I'd suggest to check the break away torque and constant torque to see if it's in working condition. ie put the axles in it, clamp one still and rig something up on the other axle to turn it with a torque wrench.

Yeah I grabbed it as the front half will mate up to the AE86 Rear half I have. The back half is potentially available though. I actually went looking for the diff but I was way too late.

No I have MA45 Backing plates, Calipers and Discs which all bolt on just the disc needs a locator made up. I do also have a set of AE86 calipers and Silvia discs up for sale that are similar to what you described but I decided to run with the larger rear caliper.

Oh ok as far as I was aware they were essentially a 1 way which locked under accel but very partially under deccel so more like a 1.25 way. My plan is to get a clutch kit out of T3 to rebuild it and shim it out to be more agressive.

Yeah I grabbed it as the front half will mate up to the AE86 Rear half I have. The back half is potentially available though. I actually went looking for the diff but I was way too late.

No I have MA45 Backing plates, Calipers and Discs which all bolt on just the disc needs a locator made up. I do also have a set of AE86 calipers and Silvia discs up for sale that are similar to what you described but I decided to run with the larger rear caliper.

Oh ok as far as I was aware they were essentially a 1 way which locked under accel but very partially under deccel so more like a 1.25 way. My plan is to get a clutch kit out of T3 to rebuild it and shim it out to be more agressive.

oh yeh, i grabbed that.  kinda surprised it was there a month after car arrived.  doing similar thing, using ae86 kouki rear with ma45 brakes but into a ke74.  then shorten the ma45 rear for the ke26 with te71 brakes.

ma45 and ae86/te71 have the same 60mm diameter locator size.   not sure what you mean?

It would be more like a 1/2-1/2 way.  works in both directions but doesn't lock up like a ramping 2way.

It looks like T3 sell the www.weirperformance.com maxgrip lsd rebuild parts so you may like to check the original website out too.