BattleSnayke

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/09/2021 at 08:29, NickJ said:

There is some pretty cool background math around auditing that unless you have a post-grad statistics degree, you're better off being honest in WOFs rather than thinking you can beat 'The Man' with the occasional light bulb/washer jet.

But I want to beat the man!!

• 4 months later...

I went to VTNZ and they fail me because of corrosion. Can I take my car somewhere else for WOF ? Or all of the records are in their system and I have to fix them first?

To be honest there are not corrosion and VTNZ screwed up.

Howabout after 28 days? Is it still in their system the reseaon of fail?

1 hour ago, Nima said:

I went to VTNZ and they fail me because of corrosion. Can I take my car somewhere else for WOF ? Or all of the records are in their system and I have to fix them first?

To be honest there are not corrosion and VTNZ screwed up.

Howabout after 28 days? Is it still in their system the reseaon of fail?

Fix rust and obtain WOF.

VTNZ fail some dumb stuff, but they arent in the game of making things up.

• Like 1

On 23/02/2022 at 18:32, kws said:

Fix rust and obtain WOF.

VTNZ fail some dumb stuff, but they arent in the game of making things up.

Vtnz make shit up....sometimes. Told me I had rust in a chassis Rail and recommended me 2 shops for the repair. I went somewhere else sure enough no rust the panel shop guy buffed the underseal off clear coated the bare metal and drove it over there himself to get a please explain.

Was a shady inspector sending his mates work basically. 

• Like 6

There are exceptions to every rule, but every time I have been failed on something from VTNZ its been a legit fail, even if it is a bit pedantic. Most of the other stories you hear of failures are the same, other workshops might give you an advisory on the same thing, but VTNZ will fail it.

• Like 3

• 10 months later...

The wof guy failed me on a rust spot in the front right chassis rail and said to see a panel beater before booking a re check. I'm a decent welder but not certified. I've cut the rust out and cleaned it up. Wondering whether to weld it and take it in for recheck or take it to a panel beater. It is in the box section of the chassis and is localised, but there will be no way to prove it's been done properly and theres no other internal rust once it's been fixed. 

Any thoughts?

• 5 weeks later...

I think rust is fair game for a WOF inspector, in most cases it could be easily hidden... i expect to have to fix something every wof, usually minor but it appears to be the nature of an old car that hasnt been restored.

Im sick of doing rust tho... but have got on top of all the typical spots....

• Like 2

Pro tip, fix problems before WOF. If they have to write a short story to list the failures from inspection, you're in for a bad time. I doubt the rust rules have changed that much over time. People just tend to get hurt feelings more these days.

• Like 7

56 minutes ago, Bling said:

Pro tip, fix problems before WOF. If they have to write a short story to list the failures from inspection, you're in for a bad time. I doubt the rust rules have changed that much over time. People just tend to get hurt feelings more these days.

So much this. I spend a lot of time going over my classics before WOF day, to fix absolutely anything that could be called into question.

Too many people rely on their WOF to tell them whats wrong with their car, and get mad when its inevitably failed. You're meant to keep the car in WOF condition all the time, not just once every 6/12 months.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, tortron said:

Comments 

Oil leak 

:-o

Thats a given on an old British car :lol: To be fair, I had recently fixed a couple of leaks and not cleaned it down enough. Same with the service overdue, I forgot to replace the sticker when I serviced it.

9 minutes ago, kws said:

i got a clean sheet WOF on my Rover SD1. Whats your point? 

LGSSQv8.jpg

The tone was a lighthearted challenge. Clearly lost in the text

More around those that know something is gunna fail but sends it in for inspection anyways..