Wof failed for rust

BattleSnayke

Panel Beaters Report Required ,  

My understanding of rust work repairs is that the vehicle owner can do the repairs required  *(BUT)* The repairs done must 

*(NOT BE PRIMED OR PAINTED)*

So that the repair can be inspected and signed off as safe,  if the welding of the new patch panel is good then it's just a report fee for the panel beaters who signed it off...

• Like 1

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I normally just fix and paint to a good standard and go back, only time I've ever had the wof guy say i need a report was the one time i asked if i needed a report... so i think it's one of those things where IF you ask then it backs them into a corner and the goto is "get a report"

Did a few patches on a old hiace a month ago, painted etc, went back to VTNZ and no drama. But my friend in Pukekohe was has lots of trouble with VTNZ there and had to get reports every time, I'm starting to think he asked the question so they told him it's needed, personally I'd never choose to goto VTNZ.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, tortron said:

Protip 

Ensure that your vehicle is up to wof standards before taking it in for a wof

For actual damage yes... but any smart wof place will fail you first time every time because it makes them look better in the review system (looks dodgy if you pass everyone first time, but looks good if you are failing 95%), so leaving a obvious fail is the smartest move, like a bulb etc that doesn't work, or they will fail you on something silly to make up for it like wiper blades

• Like 3

On 13/09/2021 at 13:00, drftnmaz said:

For actual damage yes... but any smart wof place will fail you first time every time because it makes them look better in the review system (looks dodgy if you pass everyone first time, but looks good if you are failing 95%), so leaving a obvious fail is the smartest move, like a bulb etc that doesn't work, or they will fail you on something silly to make up for it like wiper blades

Yeah I don't agree with that. My 121 passed three wofs in a row over the space of 2 years and I wouldn't say these guys were dumb. Last thing my hilux failed its 6 month on was tyres and that was 2+ years ago. 

yup I fail 95% of my wofs first time, on purpose... the only car that passes first time is my 2018 corolla, because it should.

Having worked at a wof place as a young fulla I learnt how the system worked and how the audits went, and once you get in the bad books with them then the audits get super picky and more frequent, then it costs you lots more to undertake these audits than rechecks ever would.

It's a numbers game, and it's played by computers and controlled by bureaucrats, not mechanics, so you gotta play along if you want to be part of it.

• Like 1

The last 5 cars I've owned ranging from early 80s to 2010s have passed WOF first time with about a 50% strike rate, only failures have been actual issued I've missed (e.g loose tie rod end, rust on a support panel). Most of the time this was through vtnz in Browns Bay who have been very reasonable. The old south African bloke there loved the old mitsis that I would bring in.

yup because vtnz charge $70? per wof so have already factored the constant audit costs into it, most garages only charge ~half that so have to play the balancing game in order to stay in business... and a 18month audit saves you alot compared to a 12month audit!

Each to their own, I hope you all drive safe cars and personally don't mind where or how you get your wofs, there is good and bad stories wherever you go! I'm just trying to share some incites

• Like 1

There are enough shit cars on the road failing that you don't have to "purposely" take in a non-compliant car. But hey, if that's what you enjoy doing then who am I to judge. My pass rate would have to be north of 80% averaged over many cars varying from three to 40 years old. I must just be lucky to get a pass 16 times more often than the average person. It's as if you think an inspector will overlook legitimate problems with a vehicle if you install a faulty bulb...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

What @drftnmaz had said is exactly how some places operate, you can scoff it as much as you like but it all comes down to the auditors. Sure a WOF place won’t over look a collapsed component because you’ve got a light out but an auditor will use a grey area of the legislation to mark a place down because it will make them look good in their job to show that they can pick failures.  Personality types play a huge factor in it and if you can avoid dealing with that by ensuring you don’t have the auditor arriving all the time then you’ll do that.

• Like 2

On 18/09/2021 at 07:15, kyteler said:

What @drftnmaz had said is exactly how some places operate, you can scoff it as much as you like but it all comes down to the auditors. 

I'm still going to scoff at the 95% fail rate claimed. I just haven't seen any real evidence the fail rate for WOF's is 95%.

And if you happen to find a place that fails your car 95% of the time, grow a Brian and go elsewhere. Or scrap the car as it's obviously due.

• Like 1