SiRedge's 1986 Honda Civic Si

SiRedge

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i logged in just to harass you. so god damn jealous. i hate you infinitely etc. 

aaaaaarrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhh

well done man. car is fuckin beautiful and is only rapidly increasing in value every minute. 

so uhh... where do you live again? ......

• Like 1

Thanks guys :)

i logged in just to harass you. so god damn jealous. i hate you infinitely etc. 

Hey Nige! Your AT Civic and the things you did to it were an inspiration to me. I enjoyed reading through your build thread and was very sad to see the end of it. I've still got photos of it on my computer and the gif you made of "lofreq's lucky escape" haha :D

Appreciate your comments on my car. I can't claim much credit for the way it sits today - it's not like it's been rebuilt from scratch or had major work done on it like many builds have - I've mostly just kept it tidy, doing things that need doing or making little mods along the way, driven it, and enjoyed it :)

• 2 weeks later...

Cool little car mate so awesome how its the f1 addition.

You should have a go at some of the engine maintenance yourself. Its a good feeling when you get things done and learn how things work. Could save you some bill's from honda which could go towards new bits.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I had one of those stop lights, they are pretty rubbish and fall apart if you arnt careful.

A hint though, dont stick it to the window, its ugly and it will fall off. Use small screws to screw it the the trim above the windscreen.

Do you have any plans for modifying this? Or is it just a tidy up and roll as is sorta thing?

• 1 month later...

Freakin' awesome example mate!  I have an AF CR-X that I am building while keeping it driving.  I also have an AT Si parts car if you need anything...  Not an F1, but does have the Twin Cam ZC.  Still runs mint, I still use it for paddock days.

That would be good actually. I can't think of anything off the top of my head but I'm sure there's something I could use!

I had one of those stop lights, they are pretty rubbish and fall apart if you arnt careful.

Do you have any plans for modifying this? Or is it just a tidy up and roll as is sorta thing?

Yeah the high stop light is pretty crap quality wise, but it does the job for now. If it falls to bits I'll just find another. I'd like a better one but couldn't really find one, so the shitty one will do for the meantime!

Modifications wise, not really, I like it well enough as it is. There are always things I want to do to it, but I don't especially want to mod it too extensively because I kind of feel like that would be ruining such a tidy F1 edition. So most of the work I want to do is mechanical refreshment at the moment - planning on a big engine freshen up soon (cam belt, water pump, rear main seal, belts etc) and would like to do a suspension freshen up as well at some stage.

If the motor blows up (seems unlikely, runs so well), I most throw something more interesting in it . . . but seems unlikely.

Personally, some Koni's or KYB's can be had generally for quite reasonable prices normally. 

IMO if you can, source some Tein springs, they normally offer a better ride and still have the uprated coil for performance when you feel the need to push the car a bit harder..

In saying that Cobra's/Dobi's will be 15% uprated compared to stock 

The thing with these is, because they have a torsion bar front suspension setup (no springs), apparently when you lower them at the front by repositioning the torsion bars one spline lower, it significantly reduces the suspension travel in the front shocks, meaning that you're bottoming out much more easily even with uprated shocks.

Anyone know the best way around this? The website I'm reading says:

In order to correct this you can file off the brake line bracket on the shocks and position the shock 1" lower in the front knuckle.

Would this be the best way or are there shocks you can buy that get around this problem? Or would extended top hats be the way to go? I'm happy to buy decent shocks but there's no point if the car's still bottoming out all the time!

Sorry about the questions, I don't know very much about the mechanical side!

It occurs to me that the car handles just fine, quite well even, when I'm the only one in it. It never bottoms out normally when I'm the only one in it . .  it only does it when I've got a passenger, and then it does it on the passenger's side only when the front passenger's side wheel hits the bigger shocks. This got me wondering. Is the passenger side adjusted lower than the driver's side, without me really noticing? Is the front passenger's side shock more worn than the driver's side? Or both? Or maybe my passengers are just heifers? Dan pls. :giggle:

So I went out for a short drive this evening. Sure enough, the car went fine, didn't bottom out anywhere . . . until I intentionally turned left into a side street faster than I usually would. The side street had a bump going into it, the same as you'd have going into most driveways. Sure enough, thump. On the driver's side. First time I've known it to do that.

So this got me thinking. Is this any worse than stock? Do they have a tendency to do that, time to time?

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...