• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Surely you can just get another sender form another zc engine? I think they are telling you fibs. There are other parts places than Honda you konw haha. I wouldnt be surprised if you can get them through repco, supercheap or BNT etc.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=945086&cc=1168130&jnid=336&jpid=6

?? Its for usdm so not DOHC ZC but a on all other hondas Ive owned the sensor is basically the same only the plug differs so if the plug is the same it will work

Dont have to use genuine parts, Honda will just tell you in the most expensive way possible that your car is old, fix it yourself and save $$$

Or even convert your car to OBD1 and use a modern ECU and distributor from a ZC EG5 Civic, pretty sure Matt (lotusboy) has done similar

Was showing my Honda mad mate your build thread last night, dizzy' s are meant to be fairly common between other Hondas and readily available. I can get more details if you need but to be honest it sounds like you're going to the wrong mechanic, rather than getting the wrong info

Cheers

Matt

Or try strong for Honda for used parts.

Sounds like your Honda workshop doesn't know/care much about old cars. Find a local garage that likes the old stuff.

Strongs don't tend to keep anything for cars much older than about 10 years old - when Honda phoned them asking if they had a clutch cable for a 1986 Civic they burst out laughing. And then it turned out they did have one lying around - go figure. But yeah, Strongs very rarely have anything for cars this old.

Or even convert your car to OBD1 and use a modern ECU and distributor from a ZC EG5 Civic, pretty sure Matt (lotusboy) has done similar

This is much more difficult with these than it sounds, and much more work. I know a few people who have done this, and it isn't easy or straightforward. I would very much like to avoid this if I can.

Was showing my Honda mad mate your build thread last night, dizzy' s are meant to be fairly common between other Hondas and readily available. I can get more details if you need but to be honest it sounds like you're going to the wrong mechanic, rather than getting the wrong info

Dizzys are fairly common between newer Hondas and readily available, yes, but that's not the case with these as far as I'm aware. From what I've been able to glean so far the dizzy on my car is unique to browntop DOHC injected ZCs, which was only produced for about 3 years. The CRX Si and Integra of the same era used them as well, but other than those, that's it. Both of those models are also quite rare now. The problem is these cars don't use an OBD system, so any later dizzy that's OBD compatible won't play nice - at least, that's my knowledge on the subject. If anyone knows otherwise I'm more than happy to be corrected!!

Will just be a matter of research to find which bits to use. No need to make an easy job difficult.

Its a Honda Civic so nothing is going to be rare.

The distributor body may be model specific but the components inside will be generic. Why would they use one off parts for what is essentially a economy hatchback?

• Like 1

Yeah. I think the main issue is the vac advance unit - other bits aren't too difficult to find. Rotors are cheap, you can get new ignitors . . . but you can't get new vac advance units, or even seem to be able to find a decent 2nd hand item. It's frustrating as hell.

I've booked it into an auto sparky on Monday, one Honda recommended. When I chatted to the guy about it he sounded like he knew his stuff - even used to own one of these, so hopefully it can be solved without too much pain!

The distributor vacuum and mechanical advance flogging out is a common problem in '80s Japanese cars. I'm about to send a B6T (Mazda DOHC turbo) dizzy off to that Quality Rebuilds joker for an overhaul, and will report back on how it goes if you've had no luck by the time it comes back.

• Like 1