ajg193's 1983 KP61 Sprint

ajg193

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe wee simon was suggesting a rotary and some lowering.

Your plans to not lower it and not change the wheels is different.

I don't like it ( good thing it's not my car aye) haha.

I suppose a tidy original starlet is better than a Matt black cut springs de bumpered west auckland spec one.

So many kp's on here now!  while i also disagree with the lack of lowering.  good to see you tiding it up rather than wrecking it.

stock kp suspension is unsafe haha!   it will be way way better with some firmer springs and decent shocks.  even without lowering it.   

with the right suspension mods they handle awesome.

• Like 1

I put brand new spark plugs in about a month ago, old ones were still mint though. I converted it to an electronic distributor at the same time, timing was set to 8* when that was done.

EDIT1: It had the same idle before I put the electronic distributor in.

EDIT2: I also checked all of the high tension leads when I did the spark plugs, all were well within tolerance.

• 3 weeks later...

Seeing as you guys are a bunch of experts [hopefully] on the topic, maybe you can help me out with my gearbox noises.

When it is in neutral and my foot is OFF the clutch it makes a fairly loud whirring sound, kind of like a skateboard rolling along. The sound goes away as soon as the clutch is pushed in, this indicates that it is NOT the release bearing causing the sound.

What component is likely causing this sound and is this sound safe? The gearbox has always been making the sound during my ownership and I have changed the gear fluid.

Thanks

Can't hear it while I am driving, probably just because more engine noise and whatnot.

Do you reckon it will be safe to keep driving it as is for another year until I get back up North? It isn't leaking any oil. Otherwise I could possibly make a mission of it and rip it out this weekend and fix it before I leave down south on the 12th.