Rivalrx - 1972 Mazda 618 Coupe

rivalrx

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Had a mate pop over Saturday and take a look at the 48 IDA settings as the motor is clearly getting PLENTY of fuel....

turns out that this carb was off a race 12app and basically everything that could be drilled out was. The main issue was with the accelerator pumps.  These should have size 50 jets however my ones were drilled out to 120....

hence the smoke etc. 

to cut a long story in half, I did a deal with a racing beat 51m IDA that is set up for a bridgie.  We plonked it on and it fired up easy as so that’s that. I’m sure there will be more fiddling with it to come however it’s night and day different from my last one. 

Also re mounted the oil cooler (again) using aluminium wedges I cut the other day. This brings the cooler tighter to the radiator and more importantly further away from the road. 

Ive binned the AN and braided oil cooler lines in favour of new custom make Pirtek ones that should be getting fitted tomorrow. 

E3BDD7AB-3A37-4F2C-AF5B-A6C32944FEA2.jpeg

• Like 4

The Racing Beat 51 IDA are just the 48 IDA that’s been bored out to 51. The ventries get cut down too and grub screwed to the body. 

The velocity stacks are siliconed in which makes it a pain in the ballbag to fit the standard K&N filter base. 

37B851B6-F18B-4B2F-81D3-5DB3AF646140.jpeg

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Cert is booked in for early March. I will need the following before that:

1) wheel alignment  

2) wiring 100% done

3) custom handbrake cables made 

live put the carpet in and let me tell you, I think I could do a better job than Autodec. Anyone looking to do new carpet in their car - make a template and get some upholstery outfit to overlock the edges. It will be loads cheaper and should fit well too. 

Front seats are in as are the seatbelts - unfortunately the VIN people need to see and sign all seatbelt mounts. Unfortunate because 2 of mine are under the hood lining hahaha. The rest are easily accessible and clearly you can see the mounting points. 

It’s still low AF so I will wind all 4 adjusties up another 1” and see where we end up. 

I repainted the RX2 Coupe steering wheel and that’s now in the car. 

I need to fit the rear oh Jesus handles and one sun visor and that’s the end of the tedious small stuff. 

Cheers 

7B46861A-EEFF-4A1F-8D22-76A4F172ABB2.jpeg

FDA28D5E-3A18-4D77-8B3F-B4EBB3E37D3D.jpeg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

I had some more wiring done the other night and now all the exterior lights are working as they should. 

The petrol sender was kaput but thankfully I had an actual NOS Mazda 616 unit I picked up in Europe a while back. I put it in yesterday and it’s all working like a charm. 

Bumper bar and grille are on now and are looking schmicko. I will keep my NOS RX2 s2 grille tucked away for when the car gets a panel and paint down the line (if ever). 

Sorry for rhe sht burger photo as I forgot to get a good one and then had to do the ol screen shot gig from an old Snapchat. 

Cert is now April. 

5FF65B6C-78CF-48F1-A5D9-3D147964DE19.png

0023E1FE-64A2-467F-A2C9-E6EA45DD7302.png

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Another cert job ticked off the list - secured the 2 petrol tank vent pipes. 

I also remade made a rear brake bracket and prepped the diff for welding it back on. Another job potentially ticked off the list. 

4AA7D6B2-5FAE-4573-875F-CEDB6AFA6A90.jpeg

• Like 2