Rivalrx - 1972 Mazda 618 Coupe

rivalrx

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for the posts but it's a pain in the ass to load all at once...

I blasted the RX3 cross member engine plate and headlight buckets the other day. I couldn't be bothered zinc coating them so just etch primed and I will paint them later. I need to see BNT for some new headlights too as my USA ones won't do.

image.jpg1_zpsqinjrux6.jpg

image.jpg6_zps3ddnjlsh.jpg

image.jpg2_zps3lwtxn3l.jpg

image.jpg3_zpsnzs4qltd.jpg

image.jpg4_zps9pkp3prx.jpg

image.jpg5_zps49xzx5ko.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsyn52u66p.jpg

I used an IDA throttle linkage bracket as a template to knock a few out at the same time. I need to trim them slightly to make them all square etc but I'm happy with my efforts. I'm keen to do as much as I can myself to get this car on the road.

image.jpg7_zpsxiufb1nz.jpg

image.jpg9_zpslv9zbtrz.jpg

image.jpg11_zpstbgljjv8.jpg

image.jpg10_zpsia8u9pea.jpg

image.jpg13_zpsiecycdzv.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

So here are the nos rx4/5 13b housings I just couldn't say no to......yes....my second set.

image.jpg2_zpsvgsiz9bq.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsg59tefg4.jpg

The underside is blasted and covered in brunox. Just a few repairs then underseal.

image.jpg6_zpska1nrxre.jpg

image.jpg7_zpszge5vv8a.jpg

image.jpg8_zpsz18vz867.jpg

And behold, my rx7 s5 NA 13b hi comp rotors after they have had the lighten balance, slot and side clearance treatment

image.jpg4_zpskibc1vmf.jpg

image.jpg3_zpsy4rkxywg.jpg

image.jpg5_zpstm8lwybv.jpg

My new rims Simmons FR17 x7 on my mates rx2 s1 from the UK..

image.jpg9_zpswtkbq7cq.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

They see me rollin - they hatin...

image_zpsipnbutez.jpeg

image_zpsewua89zi.jpeg

Tidied up the old 618 gas tank

image_zpsnix08cuz.jpeg

After

image_zpsy027fxgh.jpeg

Getting into my rust repair arch panels form a genuine rx2 coupe - spot weld eradication

image_zpsgnwwhkck.jpeg

image_zpsjwkyt6fo.jpeg

Now for the money shot.... I sent my Simmons FR17 x7 rears to Heads Racing and they re lipped them to 8.5" using 3.5" outlets. Let's just say that I am more than happy with the outcome

image_zpsvvfpfgk7.jpeg

image_zpsn7wdsyze.jpeg

Test fit...no diff of tyres

image_zpsznrqftta.jpeg

image_zpsvx9tii1v.jpeg

I'm loving it

image_zpshog9nkrz.jpeg

New computer and loom for the injection

image_zpsmup8gzye.jpeg

image_zpsxceybzul.jpeg

And here is a sample of my buffing exploits

image_zpsanlsllgy.jpeg

You like that???

image_zpsa1ebeks7.jpeg

I have done the sill, front windscreen and rear windscreen chrome now. This should pop against the patina.

I cleaned up and rust killed the s3 rx2 cross member. Sold my rx3 cross member set up for the original unit so I can have the motor set back a bit.

I also took a punt on some Honda adjusties and it appears that the rears will slot in once I get new bushes.

image_zpsfhytuyi0.jpeg

So that's about it for now. Ordering my last few seals and the engine is getting built the weekend of RE Union in Taupo mid Feb.

To say that I'm pumped is an understatement.

• Like 9

Here is a before and after shot of the "banana" rx2 s3 cross member. These are desirable due to the fact they are for front mounted 12a engines. I'm running an old school 13b with a 12a front cover.

image_zpsnj19swkr.jpeg

After a wire wheel and rust etch. I will be painting it black along with the steering components soon.

image_zpsb6vzlryp.jpeg

And a good mate gave me this K&N Carbon fibre intake to whack onto the quad throttle body intake we are working on. Think these are used on sprint cars.

image_zpsz1dv69uw.jpeg

• Like 9

• 4 months later...

Sorry it's been a while...

The car needs both lower windscreen channels treated/fixed for compliance costs and then underseal. Standby for the repair cert sign off in a month hopefully.

Underside bits recod and ready to roll

image_zpsxpkxkvae.jpeg

image_zps6d084jvy.jpeg

image_zpspajlyjbw.jpeg

The rear Chassis rails are straight and flat again

image_zpsjqskwjir.jpeg

image_zpsgxgnhftx.jpeg

I even got a silver pen from warehouse stationary and touched up dash chrome...

Before

image_zpsxtaicddh.jpeg

After

image_zps1mlkj9hr.jpeg

More blast time

image_zpsdngyrgxr.jpeg

image_zps5y56pllw.jpeg

image_zpsekb4lhk1.jpeg

image_zpsvcuarinm.jpeg

The rear plastics from the coupe parcel tray need some loving.

image_zpsndbqmra1.jpeg

image_zpsod64uopm.jpeg

image_zpscfirmzpd.jpeg

image_zpsbmh9micq.jpeg

Finally I have a tidy console too - this took some trading and hustling

image_zpsljtaevis.jpeg

New MFR bearings and apex springs to suit 2mm steel seals coming my way now. The machine shop totally ruined my rotors by slotting the 3mm apex slots on an angle...series 5 paperweights......I had to buy more one didn't need slotting therefore I sold my carbons and their corner seals and springs. Machine shop lightened them for free and managed to ruin another rotor..........so they bought me a new one. Pretty pissed off.

image_zpsqgigrbtt.jpeg

image_zps9auno0uk.jpeg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So the rust repair panels have been paint matched (as close as possible without too much fluffing about) to the car. The repair certifier needs to look over the final product this week and then it’s 100% officially signed off on the system. Now onto the cert.

I’m picking it up this weekend and hope to have the hilux diff mocked up under it whilst it’s on the hoist. Once we know that fits bang on, the flanges can finally be welded on and O can send the axles away for the chop chop and re drill.

The weekend of the 15/16 of October we are building the engine up in Taupo – bring that on.

yyy_zpszwogw6kn.jpg

uuu_zpsko4es1vv.jpg

ddd_zpscis9micg.jpg

rrr_zpsfk9agdz7.jpg

• Like 6

The car is home for the first time – lucky it was kind of raining for the trip….albeit 15min.

ww_zpsiflk2tv6.jpg

eee_zpszyxnhmlj.jpg

Before a bit of a clean

jjjjjjj_zpsavzcjij5.jpg

After a scrub

vvvvv_zpsgmahm1qq.jpg

I couldn’t help myself

hghghgh_zpshbhsm4pz.jpg

We attacked the engine bay last night over a couple beers – just taking off the random tabs and brackets from its piston days

nnnnnnn_zpsl8qsfyfv.jpg

My adjustable upper trailing arms are done – just need to paint and add the nolathane bushes

kkkkkkkkkk_zpsen14nxux.jpg

Tonight we will try and get the remaining tabs off and have any welds ground flush before treating the metal and eventually painting the bay in its original sunrise red RH paint.

We will be changing the dash brackets over so that we can mount the dash and glove box also removing the remnants of the LDH wipers and adding mounts for the RHD unit to be added. We will have to fk off the random air intake that can be seen on the driver’s side under the wiper cowl.

Fuel lines over the next week and hopefully we can use the breather tank as a surge tank…GAME ON

• Like 4

The engine bay is now reasonably free of random tabs and piston bracketry. The vent on the inner drivers side under the wiper cowl has been removed, as this is on the opposite side for RHD cars.

IMG_3457_zps5nogpkej.jpg

IMG_3463_zpsbxbzwdgn.jpg

IMG_3464_zpsysddi0st.jpg

The rear seat sound deadening has been picked off as I wanted to be 100% that there was no rust scale underneath – there wasn’t. I will sound deaden the car before the interior goes back in.

IMG_3451_zpsrixoj6ho.jpg

IMG_3454_zpsejsvawzm.jpg

The RHD wiper motor kind of in place

IMG_3467_zpsc05j47tq.jpg

Rear struts wound down vs the original one. I need new bumpstops now as the OG ones are toast.

IMG_3472_zpsaezavwmt.jpg

After a cheeky buff…

IMG_3453_zpsaft1s1wh.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

As part of the compliance/certing process, the windshield wipers needed to be mounted to the opposite side. This involved removing an air vent on the drivers side and riv nutting mounts on the same side to attach the wiper motor – seen in this pic.

IMG_4332_zpskygerzs1.jpg

The far right inner wall of the cavity needed to be hole sawed so that the wipers motors arms can extend like they would on the original side. I’ve painted a couple of layers of rust kill black paint in there which really tidied it all up.

The LHD firewall old steering column opening was welded up as were the heater pipe holes and the drip channel that ran down the centre of the firewall was removed for gearbox slave clearance. I think it looks a lot tidier now.

IMG_4323_zps39emjlzk.jpg

IMG_4319_zpsxz6wgjoe.jpg

There is a bit of a working bee on this Sunday so we can lay some filler primer in the engine bad – beer will be flowing

Sooooo these were purchased in the weekend….original 13x7 Hotwires that have just had a professional refurb at Arrow Wheels. The caps are coming shortly too.

Oh, and I got 2 more Toyo 215 50 13s too….

IMG_4531_zpsvxqkykgh.jpg

IMG_4532_zpsuda3psg6.jpg

IMG_4529_zpsyon84oqa.jpg

IMG_4510_zpsnp1wuzfl.jpg

IMG_4538_zpsbwjohm4z.jpg

The engine bay is all but ready to prime this week and the dash is basically buttoned up also.

• Like 3