Rivalrx - 1972 Mazda 618 Coupe

rivalrx

Had a mate pop over Saturday and take a look at the 48 IDA settings as the motor is clearly getting PLENTY of fuel....

turns out that this carb was off a race 12app and basically everything that could be drilled out was. The main issue was with the accelerator pumps.  These should have size 50 jets however my ones were drilled out to 120....

hence the smoke etc. 

to cut a long story in half, I did a deal with a racing beat 51m IDA that is set up for a bridgie.  We plonked it on and it fired up easy as so that’s that. I’m sure there will be more fiddling with it to come however it’s night and day different from my last one. 

Also re mounted the oil cooler (again) using aluminium wedges I cut the other day. This brings the cooler tighter to the radiator and more importantly further away from the road. 

Ive binned the AN and braided oil cooler lines in favour of new custom make Pirtek ones that should be getting fitted tomorrow. 

6C6BD069-D91C-4370-A069-965E44CD4FF9.jpeg

• Like 1

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Racing Beat 51 IDA are just the 48 IDA that’s been bored out to 51. The ventries get cut down too and grub screwed to the body. 

The velocity stacks are siliconed in which makes it a pain in the ballbag to fit the standard K&N filter base. 

A40F1711-32F4-4DDC-9E4E-0B01612CCA13.jpeg

D99D7D1F-5456-4E87-8EAD-FC006B5D2D99.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Sweating my b bag off in the shed today! 

Progress is progress. 

I really need to raise this sled as it’s just too low at the mo. Reckon 1” on all 4 corners should help proceedings somewhat. 

Not that I don’t like it that low - more that it will drag the resonators over speed bumps hah. 

It’s starting super easy (as it fn should being a new motor) at the mo and I’m still gagging for a decent hoon. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

So tonight I now have a functioning hand brake!

i need to have a riv nut session soon in a few key areas and I should be in a good place for the Gettin. Sorted for Compliance. 

Will take it for a professional alignment before the repair cert sign off. Then compliance and the cert. 

I need to raise it up more and it’s still low. 

The rear soft brake lines need made larger so that they totally clear the diff so that’s in the to do list  

getting there aye  

A4C496A2-5D2A-4374-895B-00F5C0382440.jpeg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, oldrx7 said:

Nice man! Hopefully VIN inspections and Cert goes smoothly as possible for ya!

PS: I really should pop over to yours and try your 14's on my car

Cheers boss - you are welcome at anytime aye. Always a beer in the fridge and the 14s are down for a test fit. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The last few days I have had elcrrical issues. Lost wipers/washers , lights and horn. 

Fml

Matt my auto sparky came over from Redline and fixed all my issues tonight. I couldn’t be happier. He even fitted the brake light switch to the pedal box so we are all go. 

Compliance and WOF Thursday - along with hopefully the repair cert sign off. As I understand it, the WOF automatically fails due to the need of a Cert. 

Friday is cert check so I guess I have the to do list after that and have 21 days or something like that to rectify. 

Busy time and hope everything still works as it should for the checks - I’ve literally driven it 50metres up the road so Thursday will be it’s longest voyage in the new engine. Once this is all sorted, I will dyno it (perhaps earlier if required).

Cheers 

• Like 5

On 05/04/2019 at 06:44, sheepers said:

Mint,  cheers for that. 

Might go see them this arvo/ check out your car

Did you drop in and check it out? 

Im into the fix it list now for cert and WOF. 

Booking in Chrome tickets for a legal track thrash after winter 

• 3 weeks later...

Needs more Hotwires, oh wait...

Looks sooo awesome with the patina and primer. And with the window surrounds/top part of the doors painted black.

With Mazda’s being garage and trailer Queens it’s so good to see one that looks exactly like the ones we used to own 20 years ago.

Probably my favourite rotary in NZ.

• Like 1

Cheery Jonny - glad someone thinks it’s cool apart from me haha. 

Ive tried to keep it honest as I can but a bit of a NA sleeper too. 

Hotwire regret...perhaps 8-)

Im just loving the steelies at the moment. 

I ventured past another speed bump in my street today and no scrapage. I’m looking forward to the slightly higher profile tyres soon to allow me another cm of clearance. 

Might be taking it to hamptons next weekend if the weather is fine as it’s the caffeine and classics track day. Get some seat time in it and maybe, just maybe get it in 5th for the first time :compress:

F10B9782-3F27-4B49-8299-2EA708C25F8D.jpeg

• Like 4