Rivalrx - 1972 Mazda 618 Coupe

rivalrx

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

ADL came to the parts and I got inner/outer tie rods and ball joints for $200 which isn't too bad. Was $280 one the web site but somehow I got 30% discount?? Stoked.

I bought some nolathane bushes for the control arm but they look the be a different size to the 616 control arm. Might need to measure up rx2 arm to compare widths.

Before you install your new ball joints, remember to tap in a grease nipple if they don't already have one. BNT supplied me with some Camelot ones for my coupe and they are pretty shit, no grease nips etc, which means they don't seem to last as long. No where near as good as the 555 stuff I had stashed away.

And defo check all measurements before ordering stuff, as you will be surprised what 2mm can do to annoyance levels when crap don't fit.. There are quite a few differences between 808's and RX-3's so you could probably safely assume the same is true for Capellas,616' and RX-2's.

Cheers mate, I did notice the nipples didn't come with some of them.

The rods fit my spare rhd steering set up and ball joints appear to be the same size...famous last words.

I will be sure to document my findings once all is said and done. Cheers for the input

Cool cheers Kelly - lucky I have your 616 capella steering and the stock 618. The diff in there 618 is meant to be rx2 size to take the EXTREME power of the 1.8L so the steering may be rx2 size so MAYBE I can chop and change. Will know more once I have both sets lined up.

• 3 weeks later...

MASSIVE progress - now the car is right hand drive and all the steering has had new rods and ball joints. I need to nolathane it all up at a later date.

I will need a rhd heater and blower now and the used dash top I have to finish it off. It appears the loom will stretch to the other side too.

There were a load of little bits that needed to be fabbed up and swapped over to make it all work well. There are a lot of pics taken so I can share with the compliance cert person so they can check what we have done. My mate who welded it all is a ticketed welder and does this day in day out - he did an amazing job!

I need to get the heater back in and there may be some more brackets that need switching over to make this happen. Bit of trial and error but sure we will get there in the end.

Getting the lower control arms mixed up SUCKED. There is a R and L on them so make sure these don't get mixed up as this is really stink.

The underside is better than I thought however there is a small rust hole under the LH inner guard to add to the list of repairs.

Rat turds and piss smells.....I will need to give the car a good old clean soon.

Cheers

• Like 1

Cheers Kelly - I put in your steering when really I should have just used the existing one and changed the top bar (between idler and pitman) as that bit is side specific.

There is already some interest in Aussie for the lhd steering rod as this allows some serious turbo for the dedicated drag car.

I need rx2 blower, heater unit and associated ducting if anyone has them lying about.

Man it feels good sitting in the new drivers seat steering the car

• 4 weeks later...