sidewaysickness 1971 Ford LTD/Galaxie

sidewaysickness

1971 Ford LTD/Galaxie

400m Engine, C6 Trans

She was built in America for the NZ Government, shipped to OZ to be finished as a right hand drive.

When i got my hands on her, she was in a very sad state. 1 headlight and 1 tail light worked... that was the electrics in all its glory!

But iv been chipping away over the 5ish? years of ownership. Iv replaced/repaired the front suspension bushes (i have the rears waiting to go in), all shocks, brakes, complete wiring loom, headlights, and various other trade me goodies.

Iv pulled out the engine and overhauled it with an Eldebrock manifold, Holley 650 spreadbore carb, Mallory twin point dizzy with Acell super coil.

Already had custom extractors fitted, 3" single exhaust with a total of 1 resonator.

I have removed the lower gravel guard that ran along the bottom of the whole car (and repaired the rust it was hiding)

The interior is ok other than seats being shagged/shagged on too much.

let me know your thoughts ;)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sooo...

I did the pre Nats run over Takaka hill for testing/tuning purposes.

Good news is the cooling system was fine,

Bad news is that I found out (the hard way of course) that my Mallory dizzy couldnt keep up with the mad power of a accell super coil.

Outcome:

Points blown to bits, Condenser not condensing. Side of the road with bonnet up. 

Thanks to all the people that offered help, got home eventually with the help of a coil from Riwaka garage. I was thinking on the way to the garage that if ANY garage would have a coil on its shelf, its got to be Riwaka!

Also cant forget the nissan forklift that gave up its condenser for me lol

Spent today remounting the garage coil and replacing points, Did some "By Ear" carby tuning.

Drove to Hira for ice cream! (btw Biggest ice creams in Nelson region...IMO)

Great success!!

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...