KP_JAMES's 1984 Toyota Starlet KP61

4AGEMAD

ENGINE ARRIVED!!

clarkson-gt-86-smile.jpg

So back to it, lubed up a few rods and pushed them into their holes

P1160482_zpsmtdmujt0.jpg

Did a few mods to the oil pump, smoothed out the sharp edges & increased the exit curve of the main oil feed port if that makes any sense?

P1160498_zpsfvkprcbz.jpg

P1160496_zpsth2whisl.jpg

With the new cams/pistons etc I made sure that vvt isn't going to mess things up. Chucked some plasticine on the dome & with use of a second hand TRD h/g (cheers Mark aka CorollaGT) Torqued the head down. 

P1160494_zpsb7id4glq.jpg

As per thread on measuring P to V clearance I timed it all up, cranked it over 30 Degrees which is 15 degrees at the cam, marked the intake cam and reset the exhaust cam and crank back to tdc. 

P1160507_zpserpwwdjz.jpg

Thankfully she all checked out sweet so off came the head again, cleaned everything up, new TRD headgasket etc. 

P1160516_zpsupduv5pd.jpg

P1160504_zpse3336st9.jpg

Excuse the heinous paint work, used too takier masking tape and it peeled half the paint off... 

P1160535_zpsfg6d5xz2.jpg

Need to make up a few things tomorrow so can dial in the exhaust cam then should be sweet for test fitting the boeast! :D

• Like 8

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Replaced the injector seals tonight and fitted up the intake which I painted last night. 

20150326_181912_zps6octjrib.jpg

P1160559_zpsasiipvqr.jpg

Hated how the manifold was clustered with ugly crap, decided to do away with the supports, flip the tps & swapped the vacuum hose fittings that run to the booster end to end. 

P1160575_zpsjnbtw8sj.jpg

P1160566_zpsgtzjppjt.jpg

pipe is a near perfect fit.

P1160565_zps48tt4rxz.jpg

Heres my previous painting mishap, but its growing on me.. thoughts? 

P1160578_zps7bpwwwhe.jpg

• Like 1

PROGRESS!!

P1160582_zpsrodrsu8v.jpg

Thankfully everything fits as it should, was worried the clutch m/s was going to be in the way, striked lucky there  :thumbleft: 

P1160591_zpslzrxkcta.jpg

Diamond in the rough..

P1160590_zpsu4hpqrfw.jpg

P1160589_zpsi1hqsfmz.jpg

P1160608_zpsa1nsybz0.jpg

On a downer I found more rust...decided i'm just going to por15 the f@#k out of every patch of rust on the body and be done with it. 

Bring on tomorrow! 

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

Thats one long tomorrow.. ^

Done a few things here and there but am still eagerly awaiting the completion of my gearbox adapter then she's all go.

Got rid of the rising sun, goal is to get the engine and bay as clean & clutter free as possible.

P1170175_zpswjur4squ.jpg

With the hydro tensioners being prone to failure I decided to drill a hole, let all the fluid out, tap the hole and loctite a bolt with a lock nut on. 

P1170180_zps6z1xnreq.jpg

Thanks to a misunderstanding on the machinists behalf I now have a pair of hub rings, this is used to secure the brake rotor rather than using nuts and bolts which would've been suffice but cant complain.

P1170186_zpshoy1kytc.jpg

Dont have a before pic but just imagine these used to be on a boganed up, RfnB, matty b'd kp and some hua decided it'll be a great idea to cut the wires off leaving 1mm to spare and painted the lens' solid black.. 

P1170183_zpsz5ubmrhl.jpg

Thanks for reading :) 

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Try this again...

Evk4RbP.jpg

Long story short life and dads junk got in the way lol, been mishing for the past year to get the house and garage sorted which is now done :-D (shelving works a treat...in the storage form..)

soo no excuses now!! gah..

me box is too big, had to get my trim on..whos awesome idea was it to put this lump in instead of a humble t50... -_-

AJQi0oT.jpg

mOwEGVV.jpg

Never-the-less shes in, bit of an angle or else i wont have room for the hoop but meh i just want to get it done and driving. Will weld some gussets/bracing to the box mounts and make it all flashy tomorrow! 

• Like 7

Not a massive update, just been sorting my other car to sell...trying to keep 3 cars on the road is stupid..

My aim is to set small goals at a time so i can keep chipping away at it which i feel is better than not doing anything at all.

So today amongst everything else, i made some spacers to even out the x-member and it worked a treat! 

MdGw28m.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

Woah its been what, 5 years now since this hasnt been running? With a mix of life and money its time to call it quits with the wee kp.

Its pritty sad but at the same time quite relieving, though have learnt alot so am happy with that.

Hind sight i shouldve left the 4k in there and kept it on the road, i was younger then but have definitely learnt and put that into practise with the cressida.

My thinking was that i dont want the kp i want to go for my dream car, which would mean selling the kp, in turn i would loose a lot of money and parts.

So now that i have my new crown, ill sell the cressida, keep all the running gear from the kp which will bolt into said new project! 

Final post on this thread from me, ill update the photobucketed pics though but looking forward to the new year.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1