64 Falcon ute of doom

Liam-B

• 3 weeks later...

So, I ended up Painting the sides of the roof and I also painted a spare correct model visor I had laying about. Looks heaps better now I reckon. Cheers to camel for popping around helping me fit up the visor, bit of a two man job as you have to stretch that sucker on.

11362832926_3ef9688a4d_c.jpg

11362840166_95e51f05dc_c.jpg

Been driving it heaps, nearly sorted all the bugs out of it. Needs a carb kit next, not looking too flash. Also need to put taller gears in it, its no good for cruising at 100. Luckily I still have the 3.5:1 diff from my XP sedan project, so will swap the gears over at some stage.
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Pic of the ute tray, finally got around to it!

11644658904_a36f91b038_c.jpg

Bonus! I got the fuel gauge going today, put a new 6 volt regulator, as the old one was stuffed. Still no go, so also had to replace the gauge as it had burnt out. Its good knowing how much petrol is left, that is for sure!

Also gave it a oil change ready for the cruise to Phillip island Kustom Nat's. Should be a big turn out, its a 3 day event but I am just going for the sat. Will have to cruise at a leisurely 80-90 as my diff gears are really short at 4.0:1 However I just won a 2.83:1 ring and pinion to fix that though just need to install it one weekend. Then I can get back into the XP sedan again. I have been neglecting it a little bit as of late getting this one sorted!
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
So, carby was leaking a bit of fuel. I pulled it apart, gave it a big clean out and fitted a new kit through it. Seem's to be a bit better idling now as well when its hot, although the idle jet is pretty worn on the needle itself but it will do for now. At least its stopped dripping precious fuel onto the exhaust. Last thing I need is the thing bursting into flames on me!

12083824534_2a15433439_c.jpg

I bought a cheap ebay electronic distributor for it, man its made a big difference to the smoothness at higher rpm, it starts first turn of the key when cold now and I have advanced the timing up for a little more power. It goes really good now, the engine seems a lot more eager. Probably the best bang for buck mod you can do. I highly recommend one for the money!

12084095836_ee2e7c13a6_c.jpg

Oh, its also got a Bosch transformer ignition coil that I had laying about, it happens to be off a Porsche 911 Turbo haha, maximum fat spark now.

12083825974_0a05e324c5_c.jpg

Still other things to do as expected for an old car but I can jump in and drive it anywhere for ute duties or just cruising around in :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
ok, picked it up from the exhaust shop, sounds good, although maybe a bit too quiet for my liking haha. Its just barely legal at least the guy reckons. 

Noticed on the way home the carb has a flat spot, need to tune that up. It goes well though when you drive through it and put your foot down though. Also needs a wheel alignment badly, will do one myself this weekend. The steering box needs adjusting, bit of free play there as well. Lastly, there is a small drive-line vibration at speed, I think due to the pinion angle not being inline with the trans output shaft. Will need to measure that with my angle indicator and get some shims into the diff perch where it meets the springs I reckon.

Small things at least, easy enough to sort out over the next few days :)

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
Long time since last update!

Basically been using the ute on the odd occasion over summer, occasionally as a work horse as seen here haha. Pretty happy with it overall. Turns lots of heads, sounds great and goes well enough. Still sorting little issues as I go along but hey, its a 51 year old car!

16644984119_55e6f9ed61_b.jpg

Thought I would post up the scare bird brake conversion that I did recently

Its a kit from the states that lets you keep the existing stub axles. The guy supply's the part numbers for everything needed to complete the kit, so I bought a lot of the stuff from Rock Auto in the USA real cheap. Brake rotors I got here. All you get in the basic kit is the bracket and 5 stud stub axles. (He does 4 stud if you prefer.)

Lots of kits available for all kinds of old cars.

Anyway, picture time :

16829945112_78505867fa_b.jpg

16830000911_b47e64d3c6_b.jpg

16805207646_77db49bbf8_b.jpg

16211129313_8e0e357144_b.jpg

16831062615_5ebc15142b_b.jpg

16643499008_d3c15f04fb_b.jpg

16208714814_c9ef36e18b_b.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
So, awhile back I noticed the engine was dripping a small amount of coolant from the engine onto the LH exhaust pipe. Did not think much of it at the time, seemed to be ok and not really use any extra coolant.

Last weekend I was driving around and it dumped quite a bit when I parked it at a mates place on his driveway, so I thought I better have a closer look around the head bolt where it seemed to be coming from.

I presumed it might be leaking past the head bolt itself somehow but had a proper look just now. I took the bolt out, no signs of coolant there but found that the head is porous and cracked! Dam.

Looks like I might be buying a new set of cylinder heads then!?

16331921863_bf1f6f3be6_b.jpg

I got the heads off the ute today and had a look what I had on there. Stock standard 1968 302 2V 63cc heads, which would be around a 9.0:1 comp ratio. Wheezer heads indeed.

So, I pulled the trigger on a set of Edelbrock 5023 E-street heads, the ones with the 1.9' inlet valves and 60cc combustion chambers. This will be way better than anything ford ever made and plenty fine for my set up, plus a nice weight saving as well. I also got some ARP head bolts and some Crane roller tip rockers as my existing stock ford ones had just started to wear through the hardening on the tips.

Still need to work out push rods and gaskets but all this is on target for under my $2000 budget.

The bottom end looks great though, its got 30 thou over pistons and the bores are in really great shape, like new. The cam and lifters currently in there are too good to think about replacing just now, so will leave a cam upgrade for another day.

• Like 2

Current mood :

17046900171_c43f9945a9_b.jpg

In other news, I have pulled the steering box out, its shot. It used to knock and always be really heavy after driving around for a bit. So thinking of putting a power steer rack in.

Also ditched the column shift linkages and bought an ididit column shift cable conversion kit, that should free up a lot of room around the drivers side exhaust headers.
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

Wow, just realised I haven't updated my build thread in awhile, A lot has happened since April haha.

Fitted my choice new E street heads

post-10400-0-99559300-1450095412_thumb.jpg

Also fitted some new Comp Cams roller tip rockers

post-10400-0-46557800-1450095422_thumb.jpg

All back together now = happy

post-10400-0-67761000-1450095727_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Also thought it was about time to upgrade the brake master to a dual XB Falcon 1 inch bore

post-10400-0-16929200-1450095936_thumb.jpg

Mounted a remote VH40 up under the front wheel housing for max stealthness.

post-10400-0-13747300-1450096011_thumb.jpg

Stops so much nicer now with this upgrade, along with the new front discs

Took it for a decent drive out to chopped back in october with some fellow old school members, you might have heard about it in other threads? If not go check it out! Such a rad event :)

post-10400-0-86170400-1450096709_thumb.jpg

Took it for a skid in the dirt drags.

post-10400-0-33990000-1450096878_thumb.jpg

• Like 3