potential alternator problem?

BlownCorona

last night in my charade turbo i was driving along and the dash lights seemed dimmer and dimmer, then my radio cut it and out and finally turrning into my driveway the car died and seemed to be flat enough not to start. 

first though was that i had thrown the alternator belt, but this isnt the case, charged the battery overnight and while at work and it started first pop, idling with everything off it puts out ~13.5v which sounds normal. so i set about trying to replicate last nights conditions, headlights on and radio up (amp and sub) ad it dropped to 12v sometimes less. so i would get this is the reason the car died. 

so now im trying to figure out what component(s) has failed. the car has been set up with this radio and extra spotlights for over 6 months with no issue. 

does this sound like the alternator or the battery or something totally different?

Deff sounds like alt to me. Will be the rectifier inside it that pooped itself. if a diode or two crap out on it then it wont charge under load (lights etc on) would most probably be cheaper to just replace with a second hand one.

unless your belt is just loose of course

• 4 weeks later...

It's still got a phantom problem :(

Did you buy Keegans Crown?

If so, it actually has the wrong pulley on it. It was missing the alternator when I got it so we attached a MX73 alternator and lathed down a random pulley to fit. It should be running dual V belts, but it only has a single on it now, which may or may not be running 100% true. Never had an issue with it though and it clicked up a fair few KM

Did you buy Keegans Crown?

If so, it actually has the wrong pulley on it. It was missing the alternator when I got it so we attached a MX73 alternator and lathed down a random pulley to fit. It should be running dual V belts, but it only has a single on it now, which may or may not be running 100% true. Never had an issue with it though and it clicked up a fair few KM

Yup that was me, been lurking here a while now haha.

Had some dramas with the belt on the drive from T.A. and replaced it once I got home. Tension seems good and I've run her around town quite a bit, but after more than 30 minutes on the road the dash warning signs go on and the lights all go dim. Hasn't gone out on me yet but makes me nervous to go beyond the Bombays.

Really oughta make a thread...

• 2 weeks later...