Beaver's '87 Gloria Wagon

kyteler

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those frost plugs look like they are a little bit of an issue for L and R series nowadays - the test of time is starting to creep up on them i'd say. 2x L series (one LD and one L26) ive pulled of late have met their demise through frost plug issues. I suppose it depends how looked after the cooling system is previous to you. If it was me i'd smash a quality new water pump on there as well just to be sure. 

Its great to see this this still out being used - keep up the good work.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

@KKtrips Don't excite me like that. It doesn't put out 50% more power but I believe because it has a churbro added it meets the requirement for needing hoops (and the gloria never came out turbo, so can't make use of that loophole either). I'd love to be told otherwise though!

Screenshot_2021-06-21-19-37-54-68.jpg

22 minutes ago, Beaver said:

@KKtrips Don't excite me like that. It doesn't put out 50% more power but I believe because it has a churbro added it meets the requirement for needing hoops (and the gloria never came out turbo, so can't make use of that loophole either). I'd love to be told otherwise though!

The new Engine and Drivetrain standard has been relaxed. (note the Driveshaft Loop info-sheet you got above from has been withdrawn)

New requirements are

Unless 9.22.2 or 9.22.3 applies, a drive-shaft safety-loop must be fitted at the forward end of each section of drive-shaft transmitting power to the rear wheels on any low volume vehicle which is of a front-engine and either rear-wheel drive or four-wheel drive configuration, and which incorporates an open drive-line, if:
(a) the vehicle has had an engine conversion which has resulted in a significant increase in power or torque; or
(b) the vehicle has had its factory-fitted engine modified such that a significant increase in power or torque has resulted; or
(
c) the drive-shaft fitted to the vehicle, either:
            (i) has been modified by welding; or
           (ii) is an aftermarket drive-shaft, including one made from steel, carbon-fibre, aluminium, or a composite material.

FYI - 9.22.2 and 9.22.3 are other exclusions for not requiring a driveshaft loop and a significant increase is considered to be 50% or greater.

Excited GIFS

• Like 2

Just had a read of the relevant material you linked to. I like the changes they have made (not just because it means I don't need hoops) but appears sanity has prevailed in terms of two piece shafts where the bearing hanger can be considered a hoop. Well done team.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...