So getting exhaust looked at on Tuesday, was just going to get the turbo hooked up to the factory system but have since decided I really should commit and get a full system done. Downpipe off turbo is 2.5” I’m pretty sure so will likely go for that.

also had a look at the non operational right rear brake, found the culprit (see picture, leaking cylinder) So now need to try and find a new cylinder and shoes and the shoes are pretty contaminated 

49A5E7B5-2525-408D-8A0D-C2D9DC5C4597.jpeg

• Like 5

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good news and bad news.

Good news, is overnight parts from Japan arrive (cheers Scott!), new sifter bushes as some of mine are non existent so the gearshifter is as floppy as KK's butthole after wagnats.

Bad news is I spoke to the garage (where the car is at the moment to get the exhaust sorted), and first up they are having trouble finding a flange to suit the turbo downpipe, and also they looked at the brakes and the hub seal is actual the primary culprit, not the wheel cylinder (which is also leaking), which is dumb. So hoping they can get everything sorted within the next week or so, to give me time to try get legal for wagnats.

Discussion 

IMG_0668.JPG

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, well, right.

Honeymoon period is well and truly over.

Dropped the ol' girl off on Saturday to get the injector pump timing looked at (had replaced injector pump and had no way of timing it myself). Guy rang me up today with some not so great news.

So they set the pump to spec, and it wouldn't run, so put it back to where it was (super advanced), suggesting that something is out of whack with the crank timing (which is what everything is based off). Then he said that is not running on all 6, and drives like a sack of spuds off boost (which is true) and that the chuff coming out the intake (which I had heard and ignored) suggests that there is a compression issue. I told him about the whole ordeal with the snapped cam etc and so current thinking is that when it broke, there was in fact some metal on metal contact and that one of more of the valves isn't super happy (not surprised tbh). So they are going to do a compression test for me which should help narrow things down, but it sounds like the head will have to come off and best case scenario its just a couple of valves.

In reality, none of this is surprising, and I guess is just part and parcel of sticking a motor in that had evidence of issues. Glad I got it driving at least as it means  motivation is at acceptable levels/high enough to open up the wallet once more to fix it.

Fun times ahead!

• Like 4
  • Sad 8

Update time.

Compression test shows 3 cylinders at 340 (goal is around 400 I'm told), 1 at 200, and two at low 200's. They were also able to confirm that the timing mark on the crank pulley is not actually TDC, which it should be (which explains the pump timing issue).  Cant explain this one. Their diagnosis was that at least a couple of valves are not seating properly, likely damaged/from contact with the cam.

Diesel and turbo (where the car is) don't do head work, so any Welly boes have any recommendations? @Seedy Al @AllTorque They recommended Kerry Lindsay in Petone.

Idea will be to get the head off, do the valves, check for other damage (hoping for none), remark the timing pulley at TDC, and chuck back together and pray it works. 

Good news is car still starts and drives which makes life a bit easier.

Oh and @kyteler I spoke with them about the possibility of cam timing creating these issues, and he was pretty confident that wouldn't be the case based on the results.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As per diesel thread, on our trip north last night got real bad surging under load. Long storey short I drained the fuel filter and found this

Yummy. Unfortunately I’m in National Park/some distance from parts shops and nothing is open today anyway so off to Taupo tomorrow with the inlaws to grab a new filter. Might grab two haha, not sure where all the shot is coming from so probably not a silly idea 

AA46C3AC-C268-4EEB-BE2D-D2B1E41E1247.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

New filter did the trick for now, actually pulls noticeably harder than before which is a nice bonus. After letting the shit I drained from the old one sit over night, it looks a lot less like rust/crud and more like what the internet says diesel bug looks like.

so I think it’s best to drain the tank and clean everything out, fun times ahead. I got a spare filter as well incase it blocks up quickly.

• Like 9

So now that this appears to be working properly, I'm slowly working through some tidy-up items etc.

• Will look to install a catch can for the oil breather as its making a bit of a mess of the intake and turbo.
  • Temp gets up a bit while driving, nothing too concerning but runs a bit hotter than the n/a motor for sure. On one long hill in particular I could see the gauge slowly rising. When I got the car the radiator was stuffed and I got it rodded which fixed the issue with overheating at the time, but might not be up to scratch for the turbo motor. Looking at factory radiators from a patrol (which the engine came out off) they are much bigger than the gloria one. I think I remember someone saying r32 radiators fit, and can get decent looking alloy ones for reasonable coin, so will take a closer look at that.
  • Still need to get around to drain the fuel tank and cleaning everything out etc. Will use up some more diesel first.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So sprung a small leak in the radiator so that’s away getting fixed. Also pulled the pickup off the tank and hey presto the bottom of the tank is filled with rust flakes. Yay. Guess I’ll need to drop the tank at some point but doesn’t look like a fun job on my back oh the garage so will do it another day/get someone to do it for me. In the mean time will just keep stock in stock of fuel filters haha.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Wow, thread dredge (I'm sure I hadn't let it go this long, honest).

So a while ago I packed my life up and shifted north back to the mighty Waikato. Was a lol drive......

Screenshot_2020-03-30-10-50-09-84.png.1ed171e8ec95db4ce560b6f9fa1aba7d.png

Since then its mostly been a trooper.

Screenshot_2020-03-30-10-50-34-21.png.32ed6e01f3e53e8945e4cbc8f6cb949d.png

One day the fuel pump started leaking and got real bad diesel knock, so got pump rebuilt (not cheap....) but made it so much nicer to start and drive. Lately has been sitting for a few months awaiting me to give it a tickle up for a wof. Figured lock down would be a good time to start....so blew the dust off, pumped up the flat tire with my bike pump, got it running (just, battery is now flat) and lo and behold a puddle of coolant on the floor. Interesting.....topped up radiator and jumped it, more coolant pissing out of where the water pump is, so suspect its sprung a leak. Pump is buried behind the fan, pulleys, and covers on the front of the motor, so is a radiator out jobby.

So pushed it back in the shed and pretended I didn''t touch it.....

• Like 5
  • Sad 3

Pulled the front of the car (well some of it anyway) off yesterday (better access), followed by radiator, fan, crank pulley, AC compressor (that's fucked anyway). Found coolant sitting behind crank pulley where I saw it running from, but still no clear leak point. Water pump looks dry. Think Ill try fashion up a radiator bypass hose and run the engine up and see if I can see it squirt.

• Like 3

Got the plug out, was a bit worried as thought it was going to be a cunt. Also found some dodgy/damaged wiring for the alternator so pulled that out (need a few bits to repair it). Looks like some suspect oil lines as well (diesel life so vacuum pump on back of alternator) so think I'll replace those. Oil return on turbo is also clearly leaking and making a fucking mess so I'll pull that off as well and will be good to replace a few bits there. Hopefully this will limit the horrid oil leaks this thing has.

Obviously can't do much till the world returns to normal, but no drama, will be nice to sort these little things out once and for all.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Well fuck a duck, has only taken me the whole of lock down to find some motivation haha. Replaced the Frost plug and have reassembled most of it. Battery is flat so need to drop onto the floor and push out of shed so I can jump start and check I didn't fuck anything up before I finish assembling front of car.

Oh,and didn't do any of the other things I said I was going to do in the previous post. Just smashed it all with degreaser, problem solved. 

• Like 7