so have been tinkering away on the turbo motor, got another turbo injector pump as the one on the motor was fucked. Whipped the rocker cover off to clean it up a bit and also needs a new gasket, Lo and behold I have the super rare two piece camshaft version! Fucks sake, and here I was thinking it was going to be straight forward from here!

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Minor progress. picked up a rb30 auto box and whipped the front housing/bell housing off and it bolts up to the rd which is good (internet never lies) and starter motor bolts up to. Next is to modify the l series flex plate Ky gave me (to bolt to crank, needs the centre bore made bigger) or find a cheap/free rb flywheel or flex plate so I can bolt it all up and comp test. Seems like a heap of work but I'd rather do it now and keep the wagon going than pull old motor out, fit this one and find its proper fucked.

• Like 3

Managed to get it all bolted up proper, apart from the flex plate. Couldn't find any bolts the right size (but have made the centre bore the right size). Starter and teeth on the flex plate look to line up which is good. Might need to play with the plate spacing from the crank but that's easy enough (bearing in mind this setup is purely for cranking the engine for a Comp test, will be using the real parts from the old motor so will all bolt up perfectly)

image.jpeg

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Have been tinkering away, some parts on their way (new clutch kit, cam belt, water pump etc). Need to try and find some engine mounts that will work (cant find any listings funny enough, anyone have a catalouge with dimensions?). Need to move dipstick tube/fit one from old motor in the right spot). And find a handy dandy engineer/machinist to modify some oil lines for me. Thats about it really. Then chuck in back in the hole and hope it works.

• Like 4

Pictureless update sorry, phone died. Not super exciting anyway. New clutch kit arrived, fitted new release bearing and checked clutch and pressure plates are correct (they are, yay). chucked flywheel onto new motor, just needs torquing up then can fit clutch etc.

So the new motor has holes drilled for two dipstick tube locations, with a plug (looks like brass) in the unused one. I need to chuck the dipstick tube from the old motor into the plugged hole in the new motor, and then block up the other one. Does anyone know of these are just pressed in/can i knock it out? And then do i just get angry with the dipstick tubes and pull them out?

Also swapped oil pickups over, as the turbo motor is a different sump (which is why dip sticks need swapping over as well) so the old sump fits. need to find a gasket/reuse the old one with some goo and then can fit that.

answer my silly queztions here please 

• Like 2

Sump on, dip stick swapped, new water pump, cam belt, idler and tensioner, thermostat blah blah blah

still no luck with engine mounts. 260c ones are very close but about 10mm taller, so having a think about that

IMG_0444.JPG

IMG_0445.JPG

IMG_0446.JPG

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Had a thing. It needed some stuff done do it. Saw manu, tried some stuff, realised we are idiots/I'm an idiot and did it the easy way. Oil line feeds the turbo and the vacuum pump for the alternator. 

Ordered new engine mounts ex Japan (wallet not happy but I know they will work). Last few things are to fit crank pulley, flywheel and clutch, and pull the stud out of the old block for the sump.

then it's time to go back in!

IMG_0472.JPG

Aftet this photo I put the engine mount brackets on and it will be in the way of the factory turbo inlet pipe so will have to bodge something up for that 

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Big thanks to Seedy Al and Joe for helping me out a few weeks back getting it back in hole. As suspected, the new mounts weren't going to work as is, so have passed the brackets onto a friendly neighborhood rapstar/master fabricator to work some magic.

As an aside, according to the NZTA database, this is one of two wagons registered in NZ, and the only with mighty diesel power. 

0800 COPS

b98bb41c.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

So I got the engine mount brackets reMANUfactored @Steelies and got around to bolting them up, engine is now in place and the bolts go in the right holes. Next is to put everything else back together and give it a crack at starting etc. schedule before Xmas is hectic so might be a while/I’m a useless cunt

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

Had a sudden rush of motivation after getting back from a lush 2 week road trip down south (mostly as I'm sit of this hunk of crap block the garage haha), but also wagnats.

• Fitted starter, motor alternator (including all oil plumbing), power steering pump
  • Plugged all the mystery wires back in.
  • Plumbed in injector pump
  • Swapped over lame ass rocker cover for the original one.
  • Filled with oil.

Had a crack at starting it, but cant get it to fire. I know little about diesels so not really sure on where to start....

In addition in actually making it work, also need to get a shorter belt for the alternator as I'm not longer running an A/C compressor (it never worked).

If I can get it to start, then ill move on and chuck the front of the car back on and the radiator etc.

No pics, because it all looks pretty much the same

Discussion/help 

• Like 2

So turns out the injector pump isn’t doing it’s job and is only spitting out miserable amounts of the go go juice so something isn’t quite right. Going to try swapping over the fuel cut solenoid from the other pump to see if it’s the culprit. Plenty of fuel getting to it, just not out of it 

• Like 1