Durty's 1985 Volvo 240 Wags

durty

So thanks to some awesome GCs off here for picking this up for me and also lending me the money temporarily so that I could get this beautiful steed into my possession 

Haven't taken many pics yet so most of these are from the for sale ad

ivm8peGh.jpg

MbcKcEch.jpg

gbMbwTWh.jpg

giIFfWzh.jpg

eWOOAayh.jpg

n9GTs3eh.jpg

EMp6xgyh.jpg

uB8aGEBh.jpg

WbXQu26h.jpg

CYmww54h.jpg

wv7IAYeh.jpg

xQq9fPth.jpg

And some pics I have taken

eciwLKmh.jpg

2TgWpx1h.jpg

My Co-driver for the trip from palmy to wellington

FeJjBmc.jpg

f5jjMZI.jpg

So she is a bit ratty. needs new door cards and interior panels for the boot. Also will probably need new doors as 3 out of the 4 are pretty much just rust along the bottom edge. But that can wait

On the drive home it started having issues with fuel starvation at anything above 80 with load on where it would start popping and farting and lose all power and slowly coast to a stop. Was stopping every 500m or so and blowing out the fuel filter and pulled the intank filter out and gave that a clean out. Eventually managed to get it so that I could cruise at 90k but anything above would start spluttering and crapping out again.

After a 30 odd km of driving at 90 it seemed to sort itself out and I could drive it perfectly at 110 with just a random odd hesitation now and then. Then I came to a hill and it started again and had to crawl up at 50k

After that it was smooth sailing and I was worried about haywards hill but by then it had sorted itself out completely and I managed to cruise up the hill at 120 with no issues but still had an odd stumble when booting full throttle.

Got it home and whipped the carb off to have a look. Pretty sure it isn't meant to look like this? weird red jelly like stiff through all the passageways? was the same inside the float bowl as well

YBOn1vWh.jpg

Gave that a clean up and got as much out as I could and now drives perfectly with no stumbles or misses. Is running a bit rich I think but is 90% better than it was

So anyway...

Plans are:

Needs a stereo (just something basic)

CB

Lower (about 6 inches front and 5 rear if possible)

16 inch mondeo steels (have these just need widening)

Will need new taillights and front corner lights as they are all cracked. (can get brand new for pretty cheap)

Will probably swap out the coffin hood for a flathood and possibly round headlights if I can find all the bits.

Then just cruise, wagnats, nats, every meet I can get to

My name is Alex and this was my story

• Like 7

So crappy running issue came back. Thought it had picked crap up from the tank or something as tank was low. Pulled sender out and tank filter was clean and tank had no visible crap in it at all.

So worked from the tank forwards. Replaced all rubber hoses. Blew out metal line. Replaced filter. Still kept happening so sourced a second hand carb off a running engine and swapped it over.

Runs perfect now and running way less rich than it was as well

So now everything in the fuel system has been replaced except the mechanical pump and the metal fuel line

Some pics as no one likes no pic posts.

Old carb

2g0LUXf.jpg

PYXcYO4.jpg

New carb. Looks way shittier but runs so much better. Obviously needs a good scrub and clean. Will swap all the nicer choke linkage off the other one as well. Also needs a new gasket so have one on the way

iiayxaO.jpg

VbBLMXg.jpg

B6FFUxm.jpg

Random interior pic. Never had one where the heater controls didn't look like shit

DHHmfjL.jpg

Rust at bottom of passenger door. Each time I close it rusty flakes all fall off it. Lol

Ug5TSuF.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

So anyway, after last lot of pics went to drive it to work the next morning and clutch went straight to the floor. Reservoir was empty so topped it up and was draining fast enough that could watch the level drop and watch it drip from the slave at a fairly steady rate.

Ripped it out and took it to ABC and they confirmed that it was rooted and they advised against getting it sleeved.

So was looking for a new one and can get them off skandix for about $75 plus $30 shipping which wasnt too bad. Then was looking at ebay uk and thought that a slave off the later model FWD cars looked similar so bought one gambling that it would be bolt on. Bought it off a wrecker for $20 including shipping in the UK and then used youshop uk to get it shipped to NZ for an added $17. Was out of a 55,000 mile 97 model car so should be sweet as for a while

When it arrived I realised that the rod thing was wrong so used the old one from my clutch slave which fit perfectly. Clutch line all screwed on fine as well so fitted it all up last night. Gave it a bleed (stupid bleed nipple was 7mm and couldnt find a 7mm spanner so had to use vice grips. yuck)

Driven it a couple of times since and seems to be sweet as. clutch pedal is super soft and smooth now where it used to get a weird bit of resistance in the middle of the travel before.

Old slave (cant tell in the picture but the piston has small pitting all over it and the bore was even worse and had whole chips that had flaked off)

NzGm0NG.jpg

New sexy slave all fitted up

mkbWo2s.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

More pics. have done about 1000 miles or so since getting the car and absolutely loving it, Towed trailers for a bunch of people and helped a couple of people move

HXKZj0G.jpg

sTNqs6m.jpg

Also got new overlays for the speedo etc

Before

Kj0gty4.jpg

After

VU9mQey.jpg

They are inspired by the r-sport gauge clusters that were an optional extra, easier to read during the day and amazingly easier to read at night when lit up

Also latest issue to arise is this:

car off

5tfygwK.jpg

car running

Iewtny6.jpg

Need to look into this, will swap alternator from my 360 and see if that sorts it, guessing the voltage regulator in the alternator is screwed (I hope)