Grimmy's '71 mk3 Cortina Zetec

grimlok

90% of the zetec conversion is done.  Still waiting on some good news about my sump situation and the east west to north south conversion is pretty much done. That's the only thing stopping me from starting it on the workshop floor anyway. Shelved in the "too hard" basket for now.  Just for now.

Oh the RUST!

Scrolling through your thread earlier and you mention those moments standing there looking at the shell going "Where do I start?"

Fully had one of those moments yesterday when I almost couldn't be f&$ked with it anymore.

Just have to accept the fact I have to get new Sills rolled up.

Luckily... I happen to know a couple of guys that will skimp on labor charges. :-)

(It's not what you know, it's who you know)

Work is Naki Nitro Indoor Karting.

Flick me a PM and sus out comming in and having a squiz some time if your interested dude. Bring her car.. We like mk1s almost as much as we like mk3s :-)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Bro, Stink about the daily and the replacement, but sweet on the parts haul. Check this out for registering cancelling :

"If the licence for the vehicle is current when the registration is cancelled then you may even be eligible for a refund of the unused portion of the licence fees."

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/factsheets/74/vehicle-registration-cancellation.html

Cheers

Haha. The P-Plates were a 21st present from the boys many moons ago.

This a long (And possibly R rated) story involving Kristoff 62 and a Student Radio Production Suite... And a girl with loose morals.

I'd explain it, But then I'd have to hide my shame more than usual.

Pulled the replacement motor for the daily today.

I've got FAR too much experience will pulling familias/lasers apart.

Just waiting on the boss to give me a hand moving some cars round in the workshop and I'll pull the dead motor. Leaving me all day Friday to plumb it all in.

Seriously considering biffing a 1.6 DOHC B6 injected motor from a slightly newer familia in.  Did the swap in my head and it's no harder than swapping another 1500 carby e5 in. Might be worth it considering the idea behind the daily is cheap motoring.

DAMN MY OWN THREADJACK.

Might have to rock down to my friendly Ford/Mazda wrecker and see what he has stashed under his kilt.

• Like 2

<Threadjack... Bitch!>

So here's teh daily with the sunroof of awesome, without a motor... or gearbox, or several other things.

DSC_0233.jpg

I've owned 3 BF Familias in my time. My first car was a calf shit yellow '84 laser 5 door hatch, I had a white 5 door familia I blew the head on in '09, And this one.

When I blew the head on the last one I swapped in an E3 1300 SOHC and 5 speed from an '85 laser sedan. This motor proved to be rock solid.  Despite it's lack of any nutsacks what so ever. This motor was still going strong when the body started getting beyond repair about 18 months ago.

Did the smart thing and kept the the old Mazda bucket for spares when I got my current daily 2 door '85 familia...

Smashed about 3 litres of degreaser over this and it came up looking almost new again.

DSC_0235.jpg

Ran outta time to get to get an inlet mani gasket and oil pack.

Thinking I might run a thinner oil for a week, Before dumping that and the filter for something a bit thicker just to give the motor a clean out on the theory that a thinner oil should breakdown any buildup in the oil journals and just free things up a bit. Before getting something thicker in there to lube it up (The ladies always love it when summink thicker gets in there to lube it up)

Does this make sense or am I dreaming and there is a far better way to give it a quick clean out internally?

Actually...

What is your process on a quick swap?

What do you renew?

And what do you do to prime it?

I've done sump gasket, water pump, thermostat and housing, Fanbelts, fuel filter, Plugs, and tranny fluid.

Still gotta pick up an inlet manifold gasket Oil and a filter.

Usual way I go about first start is pull the plugs and crank it off the starter till the oil pressure light goes off.  This also gets the fuel pump going and gets the carby bowl full.

From there put the plugs in, do skids, and win at life. All before Xmas. :geek:

So.  Got the 1300 of slow into the work hack, Plumbed up, new fluids and filters.
Bitch wouldn't fire.

Got a couple hours sleep (Which is more than I've had any other night this week) and some fresh eyes on it this arvo.
Had the firing order completely wrong. Gawd alone knows what monkey put those leads on at 5am (Yeah... it was me)
Pulled the plugs and had nothing on no. 1 and no. 3.  Swapped the leads, still nothing, changed the plugs round... still nothing...

Finally ripped the dizzy cap off and let out the small water feature in the dizzy the rotor was swimming in.  Blew it out, dumped some fuel down the carb...
Boom.  Into life.
Got it up to temperature and let it idle.

dunno how to embed video...

http://s900.photobucket.com/user/grimlok_photos/media/MOV_0236.mp4.html

She's got a miss and a fart under heavy load.  She could prolly do with a proper tune anyway. So quickly do that in the am.

But Managed to do an engine swap single handed in 4 evenings and still pull a 48 hour week the week before xmas so pretty happy with the outcome.

</ThreadJack>

Back on target now, Pulling the Mondeo into the workshop early next year to strip it down and of course continue with the rust work on the Cortina. I get bored of doing the same thing very quickly, Which is why I jump from doing a section of metal work to sussing some of the nuts and bolts.  Should start comming together soon tho.  Have an awesome Xmas everyone. :-)

• 1 year later...
  • 6 years later...

What an awesome read and fuckn hilarious. Been searching this net for awhile with to do exact same build. This post has been by far the most helpful. Thank you grimlock I wish you were in Auckland I have so many questions. I wonder how this build finished? My questions are mostly bout the engine swap pinto doing my head in zetec it is!!