Chassis squaring/measuring

Testament

Anyone done this before/got any tips?

I know the "proper" way these days is to get it put on a car-o-liner etc. but I don't really want to/more $$$$ etc. more pain in that ass taking car out of my shed/would rather do it myself if I can come anywhere close to licking my thumb and holding it out at arms length while squinting with one eye closed.

so I know in the old days people just used string and tapes and chalk on the floor etc. and it works provided you can measure carefully and understand where your errors are so you dont multiply them or add them any more than the minimum to work out what you need.

So wondering if anyone has practical tips to do with taking the measurements/making triangles/ any little jigs or whatnot that are a good idea?

is it better to leave the car on its wheels or to put the chassis on stands?

does the engine etc. have to be in/at full road/race weight? may be difficult as ther cage wont be dont till after and some thigns I haven't acquired/made/built yet

anyways

you wise old guys/clever busty girls etc. please entertain me with your knowledge

Put car on axle stands and use a plumb bob - hang it from predetermined suspension mounting points that do not move with the suspension (ie the inner arm pivot for wishbone suspension) and mark the ground where the point of the plumb bob touches.

Do the same points on both sides then measure diagonally from marks on the left front to right rear and vice versa.

About the most simple way I can suggest.

the way i built my chassis:

welded up a rectangle frame,got it squared up... next i got it level on all corners,fore and aft..

this made it completely flat and level.

then i put cross bars on the so the chassis could be tacked onto it..

viola... 

so basically it looked like a giant ladder.. chassis seems square enough..

There's not really any need to put it on a fancy chassis machine, we only have an old machine at work and measure almost everything with just a tape measure or a manual tram bar.

Kk's method is probably the easiest, just take diagonals of everything you can and if they comes up within 2mm then everything should be fine.

I wouldn't worry about not having the engine etc in, in fact its probably easier to measure everything with it out.

What makes you think you something is out of square? Bad fitting panels etc? 

I'm pretty sure its been in the hillbilly 500 if you know what I mean.....I think once I finish getting most of the sand out of it (maybe this weekend) i'll put the chassis on stands and take all the suspension etc out and measure it then more or less how KK explained/more or less what I was envisaging.

• Like 1