Truenotch

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...
16 minutes ago, scooters said:

vw "muffler" megaphone thingy. no idea how it works.  Also... not a real muffler

NrqfLNJ.jpg

As the exhaust gasses expand in the megaphone it creates a vacuum behind the exhaust pulse which improves scavenging, creating more power.

Or something.

Maybe it just makes it real loud to create a false perception of more power.

• Like 6

Just now, Firetruck said:

As the exhaust gasses expand in the megaphone it creates a vacuum behind the exhaust pulse which improves scavenging, creating more power.

Or something.

Maybe it just makes it real loud to create a false perception of more power.

They make ears bleed. Its along the lines of a exspansion chamber but not. 4 stroke injected dirt bikes have a power bomb or some shit a little bulge in the exhaust. 

• 2 weeks later...

@Firetruck is right - as the high pressure pulses expand into the collector/megaphone area they slow down and create a vacuum which helps to draw exhaust gasses out of other cylinders. 

At the same time there is a sound wave that bounces back in the other direction towards the valve. This is also known as a mindfuck. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/08/2017 at 14:38, Truenotch said:

@Firetruck is right - as the high pressure pulses expand into the collector/megaphone area they slow down and create a vacuum which helps to draw exhaust gasses out of other cylinders. 

At the same time there is a sound wave that bounces back in the other direction towards the valve. This is also known as a mindfuck. 

More of a negative pressure wave (from my limited understanding), being negative it travels towards the engine but draws exhaust gas out of the chamber aiding scavenging 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm about to build the exhaust for my new v8. It is a 393, at a guestimate 550 hp at the crank. 

I have to run a single system in the xf as the fuel tank gets in the way on the passengers side.

It'll just be running through one flowmaster super 44.

I have twin 3" collectors, what size system is going to be best? 

19 hours ago, Jorden said:

I'm about to build the exhaust for my new v8. It is a 393, at a guestimate 550 hp at the crank. 

I have to run a single system in the xf as the fuel tank gets in the way on the passengers side.

It'll just be running through one flowmaster super 44.

I have twin 3" collectors, what size system is going to be best? 

I would say one 3" will be more than enough,

I did have a 3" on my XF v8, it fitted ok, there is enough room, it was 3" from the collectors then merged into one 3" with a 50 series flowmaster in front of the diff

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jorden said:

Negative

Whatever is going to get the most out of the engine :thumbleft:

In that case, twin 3"  with two of those flowmasters would sound good, and dump it at the diff. 

Then if you need to, for wof time etc, you could make a pipe after the diff that joins the two together and goes out the back. You could make that smaller, put a muffler in it, or even use the standard tailpipe

Also what old mate from magna flow sez sounds right

I had a 50 series flow master on my car and it was loud ish at idle but went quiet under boost

I biffed that and put a stainless packed china straight thru muffler on it and it dropped 2db at idle, sounded better at wot, and made another psi of boost 

• Like 2