Muffler Tech

Truenotch

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

By page 10 I was semi fired up and ready to have a fairly fiery rant at the lot of you..

Before reading through this I'd already planned these:

• RB30DET with Holset HX52W 3 and choked by it, but I won't care...
One of the above exists, the rest are wet dreams that I'm steadily working towards... though I have most of the parts :-)

Another data point, i have been helping my work mate a bit with his 2j ma70, its making 530 wheel kw on 28 psi boost. It runs a 4 inch dump pipe back into a 3 inch system under the drivers footwell. So your dream rb30 may not be all that asthmatic with a 3 inch system. A good camshaft selection and a t4 twin scroll borgwarner are the only major mods other than fuelling and ignition.

• Like 1

Another data point, i have been helping my work mate a bit with his 2j ma70, its making 530 wheel kw on 28 psi boost. It runs a 4 inch dump pipe back into a 3 inch system under the drivers footwell. So your dream rb30 may not be all that asthmatic with a 3 inch system. A good camshaft selection and a t4 twin scroll borgwarner are the only major mods other than fuelling and ignition.

Great data point! He has about as much in kw as I want in hp :-D 600hp @ crank is my modest goal, though the HX52W will go up to around 850 crank hp which is roughly what your mate's 2j is running, and where RBs fall into pieces without extensive love :-) Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So I asked earlier about improving sound quality on my au wagon and didn't get much response , then I procrastinated until my xr6 muffler disintegrated and I finally had to do something (other than complain !) I now have an exhaust note I am happy with on my falcon , the recipe that worked for me is a 2 1/2" system with a 18" coby followed by an 'afterburner' (trademe $80) and followed by what was originally a front resonator from an xr6 , seems to have freed some midrange torque and improved pitch and volume from the previous manifold to main xr6 muffler to resonator system (also 2 1/2)

(please note no actual science or data has be used to leap to these conclusions)

• 2 weeks later...

Soo mrchickity came help me do exhaust stuff today (gc).  Not that we did any exhaust stuff coz sedan exhausts dont fit wagons 

soooo we guna make one from scratch.  And i kinda like the idea of having twin pipes (tips).  

Keep in mind this is not for max fasts.  More for weekending. 

Any body know what cars have them single entry twin exit mufflers. Eg an oval muff with the in pipe at same end as one out pipe  and an out pipe at t'other end.

I can feel hate brewing for my wank factor exhaust

The flowmaster mufflers that have been under my Silverado for the last 9 years fell apart. The tail pipe rusted completely out of one side and the other muffler wasn't far behind. When i climbed underneath for a proper look both were starting to look like Swiss cheese.

I had never been super happy with the sound that came out of them, the truck just didn't sound quite right and there was a real drone at 1800 rpm, or 95 kph in top gear.

The new mufflers are a straight thru design, much like the magnaflows in the video above and so far I really like the sound. It sounds like a V8 driving around normally, motor way speed is quieter and it awesome when given a boot full. 

A big win so far. I am not sure that I would bother using the flow masters again.

• Like 1

I got a new 50 series flowmaster and it was just plain steel with some paint on it, it rusted out round the seams, I replaced it with a Forzaflow witch was a fraction of the price and it was even ally clad and sounded pretty cool on the V8

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...