Muffler Tech

Truenotch

Coby is a brand and was owned by a guy I raced cars with. He may still own the business but I have lost touch with him.

The Coby brand includes products such as reducers, doughnuts,  mufflers and resonators. 

A resonator is a free flow style design slightly similar to a motorcyle baffle system. A resonator will reduce nasty exhaust noise but leave a fair bit of burble in your exhaust tone. 

They can sound great, but can also sound shit if the exhaust diameter is too large for engine displacement 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you would probably get away with a straight thru muffler if the engine had a turbo , but an NA engine will need something better.

go hang out at a boat ramp and when a tractor with a coby sticking up launches a boat, thats a good indication of what a non turbo 2L diesel would sound like

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

34 minutes ago, Unclejake said:

Coby is a brand and was owned by a guy I raced cars with. He may still own the business but I have lost touch with him.

The Coby brand includes products such as reducers, doughnuts,  mufflers and resonators. 

A resonator is a free flow style design slightly similar to a motorcyle baffle system. A resonator will reduce nasty exhaust noise but leave a fair bit of burble in your exhaust tone. 

They can sound great, but can also sound shit if the exhaust diameter is too large for engine displacement 

Bill sold Coby a while back now. He is a good bugger and can wrestle a race car round a track with the best of them. I think he still has the Nova but doesn't drive it anymore due to health reasons. I miss his monthly visits at work.

• Like 2

Thanks for the update. He had such terrible arthritis it was a wonder he could even think through the pain. His cars were always immaculate and he was a gentleman to race beside. 

There's not many blokes I'd touch wing mirrors with entering the Pukehoke hairpin at 160kmph on drum bakes,  but Bill (and a drain layer from Te Awamutu) were amongst them. 

Edit: IMHO business should be like racing with those chaps. Go hard, go into it to win... but give your opponent racing room on the track and help him out off the track. Shake hands, share a beer in the evening, bit in the morning go out to try to beat him again without ever trying to make him lose

• Like 5

Depends how much bigger you are talking. Pretty sure my exhaust was smaller diameter pipe and slipped inside my muffler so was an easy job. I grabbed it locally though so I knew it would all work. Been a while, they may have even flared me a bit of pipe to make it a closer fit.

3 hours ago, Kerry-TGI said:

Exhaust is 44mm which I think is 1 3/4", can get one 2.25" which is 57mm

I think you should call a muffler shop. Realistically, it won't really matter what you fit, but you'll want something close to 44mm to avoid using a reducer. 

• Like 6