Muffler Tech

Truenotch

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 07/10/2019 at 13:17, Ashkellybarr said:

Think 2.5” would be to small for a 2.4L turbo with 10:1 comp and high rpm?

TBH with that setup id even be looking at 3.5"  for at least the front section

does depend how much hps and rpms you are talking though. and how much you value the free hps  and quicker spool less backpressure nets you.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The table on the previous page has peaked my interest, my pos racecar runs a stock b18cr which when new was probably good to a touch under 200 flywheel hp. It currently has a thin walled 2 1/4 stainless exhaust system... I could go and make a new system but it would be heavier and I'm 50:50 as to whether there would be any benefit. (based on 185hp listed for me 2 1/4 system) 

Ideally a quick dyno session of a 3 inch side pipe vs the current full system would answer my question i guess. But i'm not really excited about spending monies on this thing. 

• Like 1

I think its basically a fact that all hondas go harder with a 3" zaust? Just have to put up with the noise.

You can probably dig through the dead forums and find a million dynos on honda shit (with dead pic links :pale:). You definitely can for K20/24 every combo of parts has been tested if you look.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the baffle is broken in my starlet's muffler. I pulled the back half of the exhaust off of the car because it sounded like there was a stone rattling around in the rear muffler. It seems to be something similar in length to the muffler itself, so I guess it is the baffle.

What should I do? (It's a stainless exhaust system if that influences any opinions.. I also want the car to be quiet)

Been wondering how much weight difference there is for different pipe dias. 

So from 2.5" OD (63mm) to a 3" (76) with the thicker walls theres about 2kg difference

Capture.PNG.39c90f88b9e441a26bec0c309c70187b.PNG

In order for 2kg to pay itself off in terms of power/weight you only need to gain the tiniest fraction of power, like, 1hp and it's worth it

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Roman said:

Been wondering how much weight difference there is for different pipe dias. 

So from 2.5" OD (63mm) to a 3" (76) with the thicker walls theres about 2kg difference

Capture.PNG.39c90f88b9e441a26bec0c309c70187b.PNG

In order for 2kg to pay itself off in terms of power/weight you only need to gain the tiniest fraction of power, like, 1hp and it's worth it

OD: 76mm    Wall 2mm       2.5m  =  3.14kg  pir2

halve your weight  double your power and   prepare to weld it back together when it falls apart   :  Aluminium

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

3AU 1500cc. I had a front pipe bent up a while back in 1.5" to carry on from the existing 1.5" pipe. Charts say 80HP would be max for that size (I won't make that I don't imagine). Am I better off starting the lot again and upsizing the pipe, or will 1.5" be sweet? Looking to buy a combo bend setup, reso and muffler, some straight pipe, prices of which won't vary much between diameters I don't imagine. Easier to stick with 1.5", but if that will be shooting myself in the foot a bit, i'll upsize it. TIA