Muffler Tech

Truenotch

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm running a 2.25" exhaust on my MA61 with two Borla mufflers, one where the cat would be and a twin tip "spitfire" at the rear with extended pipes. The mufflers weren't cheap, but sound awesome! Nice and quiet at idle and neutral throttle, but a good "rounded" tone when you give it some gas, if that makes sense. It gets a nice little bark on when you're right up top and hard up it. If you aren't in too much of a hurry to sort your exhaust and are in or near Auckland you could have a listen to mine sometime. Just mine won't be on the road for a month or so.

I am running a mandrel bent 2.5inch system with a resenator where the cat once was and a trd style sports muffler.

Got it built by a guy called clint. Sounds amazing. Not ricey like other systems. A nice sports sound until 3/4 throttle then all hell brakes loose and it sounds much deeper. By 7,000rpm its a bit loud inside the car and a little annoying at 8,000 but around town it doesn't draw police attention.

Originally was going to put an rps fart cannon on it but am glad i didn't

• 2 months later...

Ok so I'm looking for some advice on an exhaust for my zephyr, going 2 1/4 but looking for a combo that isn't real loud, do I just go res with a free flow or if I stay away from res whats a better substitute? just want to be audible and deep but not bogan spec.. if you get the idea.. cheers

Hiii guys. Perhaps will get a zaust done before nats if have enough coin. Want to be able to tuck it right up, and get rid of the ugly round rear muffler at the end that they have factory/I got one put there.

Will use the rookiedaveinc headers that I have then new exhaust from there. What size should I go/ mufflers etc. Want it quite quiet, like only slightly louder than stock. Will be on a underpowered 1600, but would like to use the same when I eventually go 2ltr. 2" with one reso and one hidden muffler?

I really don't hate cackle, in fact, I kinda like it. Don't want any drone if poss

Mr kpr, can i get some light shed on my plan.

Currently have 20v (stock cams, 11.5:1 compression) with A/M headers, 2.5" exhaust with two moderately sized donuts (straight through) and what i believe to be one of those turbo flow style mufflers.

I like the current sound as its not raspy. But im wanting to ditch that last muffler as its waaay too quiet on track and replace it with 2.5" mild steel straight pipe. Would you say it should keep the current tone but just make it louder?

While I remember, ended up making a straight pipe to replace the muffler for a trackday in the weekend.

Result was a nice tone that wasnt raspy, was louder than before without being too intense. Was extremely happy with the outcome.

Ok so I'm looking for some advice on an exhaust for my zephyr, going 2 1/4 but looking for a combo that isn't real loud, do I just go res with a free flow or if I stay away from res whats a better substitute? just want to be audible and deep but not bogan spec.. if you get the idea.. cheers

Just put one Coby, the 600mm long one, maby a shorter one befor the diff to.

if you roll 2 mufflers/ reso's the same   you will end up with  raspy. or drone.     reso and a muffler combo  should cut out high and low pitch.   some mufflers do have reso chambers built in though

Hiii guys. Perhaps will get a zaust done before nats if have enough coin. Want to be able to tuck it right up, and get rid of the ugly round rear muffler at the end that they have factory/I got one put there.

Will use the rookiedaveinc headers that I have then new exhaust from there. What size should I go/ mufflers etc. Want it quite quiet, like only slightly louder than stock. Will be on a underpowered 1600, but would like to use the same when I eventually go 2ltr. 2" with one reso and one hidden muffler?

I really don't hate cackle, in fact, I kinda like it. Don't want any drone if poss

going bigger isn't going to hurt,  will be better for bigger engine.    Big exhuasts dont have to be loud.  but may need some extra muffling,  to get down to the same noise as a tiny pipe. 

usual muffler reso combo should work.  add a 2nd reso towards the back if it sounds junk.

and a freeflow? I had that setup on my 929 and was pretty loud.. I dont want it to drone too bad in the cab as I already have to put up with hurricane noises at 100 odd kms

I had one short coby befor the diff and a long super coby with the single chamber close to the tail pipe on my triumph 2500, it wasn't too loud and wasn't raspy at all,

also on a 4.1 falcon I had just one coby befor the diff, it sounded like a v8 at low speed driving, wasn't stupidley loud,

your car from stock would have 2 or 3 free flow style mufflers

I got mine from chase hamilton directly, was pretty reasonable pricing around $130 from memory for a relatively small 2.5"  oval straight through drilled tube muffler.  they should do all the bends and stuff as well. quality seemed ok to me. they were happy to take credit card payment and just send whereever.

I had one short coby befor the diff and a long super coby with the single chamber close to the tail pipe on my triumph 2500, it wasn't too loud and wasn't raspy at all,

also on a 4.1 falcon I had just one coby befor the diff, it sounded like a v8 at low speed driving, wasn't stupidley loud,

your car from stock would have 2 or 3 free flow style mufflers

Has one small chamber muffler before the diff(res) and a larger chamber one after that really reduces the noise.. maybe I just go with the tried and tested combo..

Cheers. So 2.5" maybe, and then cram as many resonators as poss plus 1x muffler?

yeh should be fine,   run a couple of glasspack style reso's on the starlet.  one  after extractors about 400mm long and another just before the rear muffler, about 300mm long.  is pretty quiet.  this is with 3" pipe.  the second glass pack is only there to kill more rasp. wasnt that much louder with just the one reso, but sounded junk.   so  you may get away with just the one.

• Like 1

dads zephyr has two cobys in it. one halfway through and one behind diff with about 500mm of pipe afterwards. sizing about 2 or 2 1/4 inch piping. has a little bit of noise when cold or idling but once u get driving you can barely hear it

Might be out of place but don't forget your headers.

They make a huge difference. Work out what style you want ( 4-2-1 or 4-1) and how long the primaries and secondaries need to be for your target rpm. I am building one for max power at 7,000rpm but will loose hp down low.

I maybe wrong but i think they are more important then pipe diameter and muffler choice.