Muffler Tech

Truenotch

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I tested my new 3" on the weekend and it's fucking loud! I enjoyed it, but will probably need to add another muffler before the next round at Pukekohe. 

After a quick squiz, there should be room after the bend for another muffler the same as the front one. 

Between the 90° and the weld by the dumpy tip here: 

1376294_728304863849684_759299435_n.jpg

i just re read it and i sound like someones dad haha

FORGOT IT WAS A 4AGE, IT NEEDS ALL THE HELP IT CAN GET PUHUHUHU

Nah, that makes total sense. But its a horrible car to drive as is, so why not ruin it some more! I'll have the set up I have now, to put back on it if its completely shit house anyways. One upside to having a car that does 4200rpm at 100kmh, droning shouldnt be a problem, haha.

Will start collecting 3" bits for the new set up, will be interesting to hear what it sounds like, lewlz.

vg

i'd  cut your collector back to 2.5",  run 2.5" for 300mm ish (ive been too lazy to find the magic number yet) dump it into 3" from here onwards.   rest sounds good! 2 reso's and a decent muffler in the back.  just note that if you get a 3" baffled muffler is not likely going to flow as much as your 3" pipe.  hence why i made my own.

a 2.5 inch system with  a 3" muffler may do the trick.  but i found some small gains over that going 3" and even bigger baffled muffler, on my big cammed engine

will pass wof's no worries if you  build it right.  intake on mine is way louder than exhaust.  2 reso's one at front and one near back seems to be key to kill the horrible sound.

• Like 1

if i was you i would make the exhaust go right to the back of the car and then use a straight through muffler

have done heaps of tests where to put muffler the further away the most hp the closest is the least power also tried 1 at the back and tried putting another just before the diff to make it quieter for a 75db day lost another 10kws with extra muffler

was the one that lost the 10kw  a straight through??

I can. Or I could possibly fit another one of those mufflers in there - should be better than a reso? 

what are those mufflers? are they straight though(edit: like the one you posted on page 2?)  or some kinda baffled type?  if straight though, yeh why not!     i was thinking something like this.  straight through glass pack. perforated not louvered.   i just happend to build an exhaust for mates car this weekend, with one + a rear muffer, but engine is junk, so couldn't test it out!

photo0217.jpg

Yeah, the muffler is a straight through glasspack (the one I posted on an earlier page). Does sound follow flow at all? Because the chamber would be on the outside of the corner in that setup, so might be more effective than if it was mounted straight? 

That's interesting info Glen, were they all straight through mufflers? 

Hey there, Looking too get some more sound out of my 5mge. Current exhaust is pretty shagged and cracked so I was thinking of replacing it with 2.25 piping Flowmaster muffler and twin tips. Anyone got any suggestions? im not after that straight pipe sound