Muffler Tech

Truenotch

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mint, this is exactly the type of discussion I wanted to see. I'll start with a glass packed muffler nearer to the end of the pipe and will go from there. 

Furai, I think adding a reso to the MX5 will be a great move. In MX5RNZ we run 1 x sausage at the back of the standard exhaust system with the cat removed and they sound OK - would be better with a proper muffler at the back like yours. 

Mind if I slip in on this and ask some advice?

My Cortina sounds like an old war plane, a horrible raspy twanging noise the whole time.

It's got extractors coming off the pinto into either 2" or 2 1/4" piping then into a 400mm long bullet resonator halfway through, and right at the end there's a 250mm long bullet reso with just a chrome tip welded onto the end of it.

What would be good to replace these with?

I was thinking a muffler where the middle reso is and a longer reso where the end one is now.

I want it to have a nice tone but nothing extremely loud like it is now.

Am I anywhere near or just fishing in the wrong pond?

My Cortina sounds like an old war plane,

should sound awesome then.

i'd just change the last reso to some kind of baffled muffler.  probably 2.5" to keep flow up.   if you can  fit the last one in, before new muffler at rear. run that as well.

I hadn't until now.

This one is very attractive for packaging reasons - not sure what's up with the slight depression in the middle.

ScreenShot2013-08-26at94958PM.png

I wonder what happens to the sound when the tube is offset to one side?

Comes out quieter on one side? Haha nah guess it would be better than a hot dog but not as good as a centre entry ovel one?

mind if i jump in too?

my starlet is due for a revamp, with bike carbs going on. i'd like to do a bit of this getting more dort out the front and less fizz out the back. it's a stock motor though, except for carbs and coby extractors.

the name of the game will be cheap and simple, i'm not chasing horse powers.

currently has extractors, resonator half way along and a triple flow right on the end. i believe the reso is one of those conical baffled type jobbies

imagine if you will, i have taken everything out except the bung coby extractors that i'd rather not replace.

what would you gurus suggest for a road car exhaust that is pretty much just there to remove fizz and get wofs?

and markku yes sidepipe/giving me one right now

Spoken like a true engineer. I reckon it's worth a go - that's the only one I've seen that will line up to my headers and still fit the standard exhaust tunnel. 

If it works fits right I'll probably only need one 90° in the whole system. 

I hope that 90° goes from parallel to your driveshaft to perpendicular just behind the drivers door

I don't know  who does good reso's and mufflers as usually make my own.     glass pack is easy. either get some perforated steel. or just drill lots of holes,  get some bigger tube for the barrel  and make 2 end pates.   stuff it full of chopped strand fiberglass (you can probably buy something thats more suitable, but chop works fine) weld that shit up.

stuff

try a reso/glasspack after extractors in the normal spot where the bump is in the floor.  if you dont have much suspension droop go straight under the diff.  you should be able to fit another short reso just before it goes under the diff.  then baffled muffler at rear, a size or 2 up to keep flow as much as your pipe size.     the 2nd reso before last muffler seems to be key, in taking the last of the rasp out

• Like 1

Mr kpr, can i get some light shed on my plan.

Currently have 20v (stock cams, 11.5:1 compression) with A/M headers, 2.5" exhaust with two moderately sized donuts (straight through) and what i believe to be one of those turbo flow style mufflers.

I like the current sound as its not raspy. But im wanting to ditch that last muffler as its waaay too quiet on track and replace it with 2.5" mild steel straight pipe. Would you say it should keep the current tone but just make it louder?