Abarths V50

Abarth

Purchased this off an oldschool member, stoked as I really like this early shape of V50, looks more like a Yamaha Newport.

mqm2.jpg

Plan is to get it running smooth and reasonably reliable while keeping it vintage.

So far the list of stuff to fix isnt too extensive, it does have some funny anomalies though, like someone used house wiring to bypass the ignition and rewired the engine kill switch to the right indicator. Luckly it doesnt have any indicators so it isnt a problem so far.

Looks like its had a bit of a nudge in the front so I'm process of finding replacement parts, including a new set of forks as these are a weee bit bent not majorly, or may see if I can get them straightend. Straightend would be ideal as I would like to keep it original.

rbco.jpg

When I first got it it wouldnt start without a decent amount of 'start ya bastard' down the throttle and left me having to walk it home after the first test ride. Came to the conclusion it wasnt getting enough fuel so armed with a can of carb cleaner I disassembled the Mikuni carb. Loads of sediment was in the bottom of the fuel bowl and all the tube parts / jets had sludge build up. No doubt from the shit floating in the petrol tank. I should get a fuel filter till I get the tank sorted, but onward.

Couple of pics

0l9s.jpg

hnj9.jpg

Amazingly that oil pan was spotless before I took apart that carb in it.
b41e.jpg

Runs like a champ now, has this nifty choke lever on the handle bars for cold starts which works well.

Just need to wait for the voltage regulator to turn up now before I can put the lights back in and take it for a decent ride.

• Like 4

Went to the central library today and found they have almost every type workshop manual there is. Took a couple of quick copies of some interesting pages including these wiring diagrams. They should help in sorting the electrics.

Also got some parts coming from Chch, including a straight set of forks and a headlight surround.

Early rotary port V50

4hyl.jpg

Later V50

d3kx.jpg

• Like 1

If you're in Akld I have a full manual you can borrow if needed.

Sweet cheers mate

Went shopping yesterday:

pmv6.jpg

Ipone 2 stroke oil actually does smell like strawberries, gets quite deceiving when such a nice sweet smell is quite toxic.

Battery was only $10 bargain! When I got the Yamaha it never appeared to have a battery installed, part of the reason it blew so many bulbs as the battery acts as a regulator on the DC circuit.

Got a Michelin tire for the rear to match the front, I'm a sucker for that kind stuff. Plus the old rear tire did have a few cracks in it and the rubber probably isnt as grippy anymore. Need all the grip I can get with all that 2 stroke power.

gjkb.jpg

Replaced all the 2 stroke oil with new strawberry stuff, drained the whole tank and re-bleen the entire system. Got rid of the Burt Munrow style cork lid as it was coming apart and replace it with a wine bottle cap.

6eeb.jpg

Spot the house wire. Removed all that and cleanned up the internals of all the switches. Chucked in a full set of bulbs, DC circuit works like the neutral light, brake light etc. AC circuit is still isnt working, there appears to be a loss of continuity between some sections of wire. Ah well half fixed. Debating whether to solder the AC lights directly to the yellow magneto wire inside the ignition switch. As I want the headlight and tail light to run constantly when its running, pretty much like every modern moped does to comply with NZ road regs. 

Replaces the milky colored gearbox oil with some Motul stuff, no real noticable difference in gear changes. Starts first or third pop and currently rides sweet, happy days.

zgem.jpg

• Like 3

Cheers, got the Motul 10w30 for $25 from Scooter e Motion up here is Auckland, he also sells the strawberry 2 stroke oil. His trademe name is doublecarb. Otherwise Red Baron sells it for the same price. Your ones a reed port one right? In the Haynes manual it says SAE30 or 20w50 engine oil is recommended. I got the 10w30 spec from another manual about Yamaha rotary valve engines as mines the rotary type.

Right found the problem with the AC circuit, it was the ignition switch contacts that needed a good clean. Now the front and rear tail lights run off the magneto, can any body enlighten me what regulates the voltage for these two bulbs?

The wiring diagram shows the battery regulates the DC circuit and there is a resistor for the parking light but nothing for the head and tail lights?

83qr.jpg

Rode this badboy to work today, lol'd riding it through the CBD. It looks micro size when parked up at work with all the other scooters. Made it home again without any problems, sucess!

Well except for the gearbox being a bit cunty hopping from 1st to 3rd if rushed and it feels like its a bit down on power. Having to drop it down to 1st to go up a hill sucks. I can live with 2nd gear but 1st = 10kph.

I have noticed it huffs a bit of smoke from the headgasket, while it isnt fully blown I suspect it isnt in the best condition. A minor top end rebuild could be on the cards shortly, Timaru Yamaha still have some parts like $4.50 head gaskets, points are a bit pricey at $40 something dollars.

Anyone know where to get points cheaper?

Plan is too hone the bore, skim the blocks, new rings and gaskets to give it a bit compression. New points and an ignition lead thrown on to better manage the spark.

Hopefully got a decent condition gear set coming from Chch too, I'll strip down the box and hopefull make a good gear box from the two gear sets.

Had a bit of a saga trying to find some straight forks as mine are slightly bent. Found a wrecker who had some in excatly the same color as mine less the bend. Stoked!

mqcs.jpg

Keen on one of these too, they have a decent range on the turd, enough to keep the popo happy.

n5zn.jpg

• Like 1

Ebay is your best bet for getting parts like points from, http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-V50-V70-V75-V90-RS100-RS125-YB100-CONTACT-BREAKER-POINTS-11-/300953962752?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item4612410900&vxp=mtr Might pay to check those are the right ones, if not just have a search, there's a few on there

You don't actually legally need a mirror on them, but if you are using it for commuting it might be useful I suppose

Yeah thinking of doing an order on Wemoto, heaps of parts!

Anyways tonights venture revealed two problems, one I should stop taking shit apart and second is that the reason the headgasket appeared to be leaking is because it didnt have one. Good enough reason! :)

Had a good look at the engine when it was running and it was pretty clear it was losing compression out the side of the head.

rha.JPG

Exhaust ports are a bit coked up, they are sitting in a bath of degreaser / carb cleaner. Everything else look okish, rings look ok, will measure the end gap just to check.

vwfm.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Boring update, just collecting parts now and getting distracted with building my old mans new turbo setup on his Punto.

2 parcels have arrived waiting on the third.

First the forks and speedo cable arrived, both in perfect condition, stoked to find a mint set of forks in the same color! Check this; the second parcel was from Yamaha Timaru and they still had genuine parts for it, pricey but OEM. 

48e6.jpg

Lastly an order from Wemoto in the UK should arrive next week. New engine rings to freshen up the compression.

Continued with this heap today, took the gas tank off and filled it with trox bits and proceeded to shake the shit out of it, literally. Then disconnected the fuel tap to find gasket maker blocking up the tap. 

wjck.jpg

Took it all apart and replace all the seals that Timaru Yamaha sent up. 30 year old one vs new one. No leaks now! Horrayyy!

uw95.jpg

Quite like this look, I should weld up some bars to convert it to a slamed hardtail setup. Wemoto order arrived too so now I have all the parts in theory to make this 2 stroke run meke as!

m0w2.jpg

• Like 1