felixx's gateway bike

felixx

So after changing the carb to a nice newspec one I got off a member on here I finally got her to stop leaking

I lost revs it was sputtering past 3 /4 throttle she ran like shit

learnt about adjusting the needle

gps of 52.4km

thats actually 1.1kmfaster than she was this morning.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Usless picturless update,

1 brought a chinese digital tacho, supposed to read to 16465846453219563rpm, reads to 7410 then drops to 130rpm

2 added pod filter off pit bike, more restrictive than std filter going by engine noise

3 added steel stinger to spanny chamber, as it is welded not clamped in, so wont keep vibrating loose

4 couldnt get the cylinder head to sit square in the lathe to plane it back.

any ideas?

otherwise fine, did 1.4 hours on the beast yesterday at 50ish kmh thats almost 75km on 2 thirds of a 2.5lite tank, thats ok I reckon

Well,
I put the head that a previous owner had butchered onto the vice and sanded it down so it didnt wobble when held against a window, and mounted it to the bike, kicked it over with no plug and the piston didnt strike the head, tried it again with a plug in it and ignition off, still no fouling, so I turned the ignition on, she was hard to start, and wouldnt idle due to a air leak, now I have the level to bring it down to,
interestingly, she pulled to the same revs with the leak, just no guts down low.

I have a sheet of glass and some 1200 sand paper so tonights job is to get her nice and flat.

Question, 

When I removed the original block there was no head gasket, however I do have one, should I use it? 

Also how do I know if my head is getting too hot?

Im guessing its going be time for a bigger jet too?

block_zps9e2ae56b.jpg

Edited by felixx
  • Like 1

So I fitted it tonight, without playing carbs (WITH a head gasket) and she appears faster off the line and mid range but no faster top end.

im guessing the pod filter I took off pocket bike is shit. I will try the origy didgy airbox in the weekend.

I also guess bigger main jet? I will lift the needle a notch too in the mean time.

thanks for all your advice, you are all awesome, its been a busy week this week, with both my paid job and volunteer work so I apologise for my slow progress

• Like 1

I have ordered bigger jets, the 2 next bigger sizes, they were cheap, will have em monday

I lifted the needle as high as it will go and she is going ok, neec to sort the idle but that can wait until she gets a different jet in her

tried to slam her by cutting the spring in the shock, removed one inch and it wasnt captive was on the bumpstop when I sat on it, time to make a box section hard tail I think.

my neighbours are very interested in it, my busa riding neighbour took it for a ride andcame back with a stupid grin.

• 2 weeks later...

Question,

I went up 2 jet sizes and she is sputtering at top end.

if I open the choke at WOT she goes better, should I lift the needle or not?

I am using the std needle, is that the right thing to do?

thanks for the advice

ps pod filters plus rain are not a good mix

do a plug chop as above

but it sounds like your too lean at WOT since it runs better with choke

probably needs a bigger jet, but you can try raising the needle a clip, only reason say bigger jet is cause at WOT the needle doesnt do any restricting so rasing/lowering the needle is really only for tuning 1/4 - 3/4 throttle. 

Its odd as with the std jet it didnt do this,

im currently on a 82.5 jet, guess I better order a 85 and 87.5

although the fa50 is a silly wee thing im loving it. Although I must sort the kickstart on the red one to sell it and get a V50 or C50.

are suzuki A50 much cop?

• 3 weeks later...

Made an airbox out of a cut down milo tin and placed it over the pod.

It runsd happier now, pulls well but 4 strokes with the choke on, so Im thinking thats awesome.

It must richen her up a bit/ restrict flow.

Oh the plug chop without air box and choke was tan

so FYI for my FA50 with planed head/ expansion chamber/ pod filter the 85 jet was the go (Up 3 sizes from stock)

Thanks for all the advice, if anyone has a fs50/ fz50 gearbox for sale, let me know please

• Like 1

Hi guypie,

I would too, but its too far away atm

in other news I was fanging on the fa50 and thought shit she sounds rowdy

turns out expansion chamber had let go right where the exhaust joined the manifold.

whenit let go it caused the bike to polevault tearing the exhaust completely off, me doing some awesome recovery

stock exhaust back on tomorrow!

im rather sad right now

edit

fitted stock exhaust, it has more bottom end, but only pulls to 7450rpm, it would used to pull in excess of 7800 rpm with the spanny chamber and its so fucking quiet,

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Missus sent me to the supermarket yesterday morning. Screaming along by bishopdale, wobbling comes from the rear of the bike, all ofa sudden the back end goes loose and drops to the ground.

My rear wheel went past me.

broken axle

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...