Mike's '79 Vauxhall Chevette Estate - Pics

michaelme

Hi all,

As of this coming Sunday I will be the proud owner of Vettie for a full year (how time flies!) so I thought it’s about time I make a thread for her.

Discuss here

I owned a burnt orange Chevette wagon back in 2006/7.

Tried to swap the original 1256cc Vauxhall motor and 4 speed gearbox out for a Gemini g161z 1600 + 5Speed, but got as far as the driveshaft and got stuck (student spec finances and stuff-all mechanical know-how didn’t help).

Orange_zpsc7ab6564.jpg

- please excuse the god-awful trispoke wheels, they were the only thing with rubber at the time.

Around the same time I had the opportunity to finish my studies over in Melbourne, so decided to sell up and shift over to ‘Straya for a bit.

Fast forward to 2012 and I’m back in NZ, owned a motorbike, sold a motorbike, missing the fun of an old car and find this for sale:

525793bc-f76a-4a10-a0b8-c3db8e3ae5f3_zpsee27a05e-0667-4e1d-b959-fdb9aecf1365_zps

fc390cbe-27d0-4455-af72-40b2eb5307d8_zps05869a5a-6bc1-4d43-bf10-a2daede34c20_zps

Already had the Isuzu Piazza g200z 2L + 5 Speed conversion done!

Bought the car from OS/GM-T forum member aninja before he left for ‘Straya (something about these cars push people to the West Island?).

Crazytim got the widened steelies before I bought this, so the car came on some sweet original Rostyle wheels.

A couple of small issues:

• Exhaust stops before the diff
  • Small bits of rust
  • Still has the tiny Chevette radiator
  • Windshield, and side window rubbers leak a bit, so no carpet
  • No rear seat base
  • No speedo cable.
  • No cert.

Found a dead green wagon (Gretchen) with most of its panels and glass intact for $200.

Pulled all the useful bits off, into storage. Sold the motor and box to someone from OS and swapped what was left of the body for tattoos for my brother – Happy Birthday!

2013-01-06145454_zpsdd4364d8.jpg

Now, off for painting. Looking good in yellow.

f9a4e312-537a-4780-9ef3-d33d349f2e88_zps

A couple bits of chrome missing, but I’ll use the bits I grabbed off Gretchen.

The same brother who got ink for Gretchen also works a s a window tinter so was more than happy to offer to tint the windows.

Painted the window/door pillars satin black which I think looks great with the tints and chrome surround.

CD player, and 4” front speakers fitted, MDF boardscut out for the back side panels and 6x9”s fitted.

Back seat base pulled from Gretchen sprayed with vinyl dye stuff and fitted, looks great and is comfier than sitting on metal.

Managed to get to Waihi from Auckland for the Leadfoot Preview, stopped once at Drury and again just before Thames, longest drive to date and no problems!

39b1b921-e534-457a-926d-9042c8ca485e_zps ef772d41-42cc-4e77-93b6-89f78a908d9a_zps

ee4f515c-ce06-4f5b-b04b-daa1fd1de8d9_zps

February Galaxy of Cars at Western Springs, parked up with the NZ Vauxhall Owners Club and walked around looking at cars all day.  Sun is shining, weather is sweet and the car is running great albeit a bit noisy and fumy.

8c96ecde-7083-4c28-875d-bb619f6e315b_zps89bcd014-0fe1-44e3-8639-64d3fcbe9893_zps

• Like 1

However, a few weeks later, the gremlins started waking up and causing problems.

Driving down the road, all of a sudden SNAP then SQUUEEEELL and the volt gauge drops to about 8.

Manage to get back home to find the alternator bracket snapped.

46aa1dbe-3b4a-4170-be88-a93798fc7849_zps

Got in touch with John the Piazza guy who had one kicking around (the guy has about 30million piazza parts under his house!).  Sorted.

Next headache: Coil gives up the ghost at the beach, towed 30mins home, replaced with a cheapy from Repco, running sweet again.

Meanwhile, pickup these sweet Performance Challenger wheels (Globe replicas) from flyingbrick.  New rubber on the back and now she sticks to the road like glue.

99e9fd45-ef31-40cc-896c-ff3b87b66002_zps

A couple of weeks later she overheats before the Matamata offramp on the way to Meremere.

The overflow neck is missing from the top of the radiator, stuffing the overflow hose through the hole didn’t work as well as I’d hoped.  Time for that new radiator.

3 core aluminium Gemini radiator.

Turns out despite most Gemini parts fitting the Chevette fine, the bonnet line of a Chevette is a pinch lower than a Gemini’s, and the g200z sits quite a bit higher than the original 1256.

The radiator sat in fine, but was too high so we had to make up some brackets for it and cut out the bonnet catch for it to fit.

Unfortunately, this also means bonnet pins.  Really wasn’t keen on them until I found the Aerocatch flush mounted bonnet pins.

New radiator fitted, goes well and keeps the temp needle down J

Vettie gets home well, time to test the new radiator with a decent distance drive.

Goes spectacularly well with me, wifey and 2x dogs in the car, drives to Bethells and back better than ever before.

Fire her up to get some milk and bread, start backing out of the driveway and SNAP. 

There goes the clutch cable.  Stoked it happened in the driveway, not on the receptionless west coast beach.

New cable made up, fitted. Back in business.

Next item on the agenda, the strong petrol smell in the cabin.

Moved what looks to be a breather hose for the tank up above the filler cap to try and beat gravity.

Works well enough other than the odd steep hill/driveway where the fuel rolls around in the tank heaps.

Ordered a carb rebuild kit from ‘Straya and the day before it arrives, this happens:

9ec45a00-4437-4755-a845-e33a93c1364c_zps

Driving like a dream on the motorway, got off on the Upper Harbour Highway stopped dead at the lights.

Popped the bonnet to find a heck of a lot of petrol flowing out of the carb into the engine bay. Not ideal.

With a bit of help from some helpful strangers, we pushed the car across the highway to the Caltex carpark where I had a fiddle with the idle screw and air/fuel screw, managed to get it to start but couldn’t idle.

Back on the truck to Titirangi, carb kit fitted, carb tuned, driving better than ever.

Petrol smell absent, but no longer masking the exhaust fumes.

• Like 1

Next up, sorting the exhaust.

Picked up these extractors from Crazytim:

e8f3188a-5f18-409c-85fb-6ad236e2f6ff_zps

After HPC coating they look like this:

acb43b31-9811-4339-b982-8204315cc023_zps

Picked up a Hushpower II straight through muffler from Trademe, and a black tip from STA Autoparts, now off to Pitstop in New Lynn to fit.

Fitted it looks like this:

f074bb55-1428-4771-9f74-2e05923b91b2_zps

Extractors, to 2” pipe, to muffler, 2” pipe to tip.

Sounds great and drives so much better.

Also, no more poisonous gas inside the car!  

• Like 1

Fitted an alarm......  

428be56f-9321-4252-9e22-bb9d3ac1a17f_zps

Was going to go for a Mongoose, instead opted for Pitbull :P

This particular model has dual immobilisers

That’s pretty much all the work to do to the car until the wedding is out of the way, then it’ll be looking at getting the windshield/window rubbers replaced, a speedo cable made up (or an adapter for the old Vauxhall cable I have), carpet and a cert. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

That’s pretty much all the work to do to the car until the wedding is out of the way, then it’ll be looking at getting the windshield/window rubbers replaced, a speedo cable made up (or an adapter for the old Vauxhall cable I have), carpet and a cert. 

Well, jinxed the shit out of that, wedding is off. 

Glad we figured it out sooner rather than later though.

Don't pull out your tiny violins just yet, there's heaps of positive stuff happening (I won't mention exactly what just in case jinxy lightning strikes twice!).

Also means I can free up some money to work on the Chevette :)

First up, a pair of front brake calipers from a Pontiac Fiero courtesy of flyingbrick, and a pair of rear disc brakes from a Piazza.

No photos as both are currently being rebuilt at Sterling Brake and Clutch in Penrose.

Also got a spare G200Z camshaft reground, nothing too gnarly but should give it a bot more go and sound great :)

I'll throw some photos of the spec sheet and the camshaft later.

• Like 2

Took the Chevette to Meremere for the Oldschool Drag Day (which I can wholeheartedly recommend to anyone thinking of attending), was brilliant fun.

Two good runs, then let my mate have a fang down the track and the blanked off heater outlet explodes and fires antifreeze all through the engine bay and through to his legs in the driver footwell!

Didn't have any heater hose with me so tried to McGyver up a quick replacement with an empty water bottle and insulation tape.

2013-12-14153940_zps2fc6f0a8.jpg

FIlled the radiator and discovered there was also a split on the hose leading from the block to the inlet manifold.

2013-12-14154002_zpse07f06f7.jpg

Something missing here.....

Filled the radiator and a few bottles of water and limped back to Mercer

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...