1979 cf bedford 'bey thats mean as' van

1979 CF Bedford short wheel base

2.3 slant four motor four speed trans, soon to be holden 202 red 5 speed box

my story is my Grandfather bought the van in 1984 off the postal service after 5 years in service for i believe 5 grand. he and my grandmother use to have a second-hand quality made tool business and sell there product at the avondale markets (back when markets werent rubbish plastic toys). they only would run the van once a week from papatoetoe to avondale for roughly 10 years apart from the occasional summer road trip with us grand kids to summer fishing spots up north, so it never really got alot of use. after they both retired it sat unused for around 12 years in there garage apart from my grandad taking it for a Wof every 6 months. I posted interest in the van for many years but got declined everytime until my 21st birthday rolled around and my grandparents had the ownership papers in my birthday card! 

since ive had it ive pulled all the heavy ass CNG gas units out that the postal service added into it and just basically kept the motor maintained, its run sweet the whole time but im currently putting a holden 202 red block with VK 5 speed trans into it.

photos and progress soon to come

• Like 5

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeh ill most likely sell my vauxhall slant four motor and I have two four speed manual trans for it. Unaware of what price I should let it go for tho would like to make a bit back on what I've spent on the 202 conversion. Let me know if ur interested or what u think I should sell for

• Like 1

Flipped around sump and oil pick up so the motor can sit lower over the cross member.

FA299C02-7D72-4801-B2B3-03EE7BC8611C-143

Started welding up the rust hopefully have it all done by the weekend.

CE9C87BB-570C-44BC-9031-51FD216E0257-143

Also bought electronic dizzy, driveshaft end of gearbox and speedo cable for box from aging auto spares. So fuck I think I have everything now!

• Like 2

ADVICE NEEDED! i am going to be running a 5 speed vk gearbox which has the gear stick at the driveshaft end of the gearbox, but the bedford zf gearbox which is currently in the bedford has the gear stick midway down the box so that is pops out through the floor infront of the seats. when the new vk box goes in the gearstick will be behind the seats which will be poos for driving, so whats my options? 

: do i make a a long Z style shifter which i could see being pretty crap to change gears

: is it possible to make some kind of linkage for this application

: or is there something you can buy? 

This weeks progress started with taking the front end with the 202 engine mounts apart. Hit a problem trying to take one of the long bolts holding the arms on out which it didn't want a bar of. Took a few hours of heat from oxy acetylene and a large hammer to break the the seal and bash the fucker out. Wanted to take apart the new front end and put all my current breaks and arms on since I overhauled all my bushes not to long ago.

5B3ED10F-F2A4-469F-B25E-103577F39990-172

Also cut the engine bay out ready for its 60mm stretch for the motor. Definitely making it hard for myself but I want it to look factory as possible.

E3E018E8-1E5E-4669-B051-CEE38AA6FCE4-172

28A6CB86-BD5D-4916-8E89-752834F85E39-172

26D07FF5-94BE-4AD2-9B93-138F7ABFAA3E-172

B97F4DE4-DF1C-4514-8EA2-58AFB30F0A70-172

That's where it will end up welded in

16F44AB9-7D14-4DB2-8B14-0FB4E73467FF-172

Have bought a rose joint today so ill make up a shifter extension this weekend while gearbox is out of the car

• Like 1

progress little bit slow this week but still cutting through the work gradually.

started taking the front apart have been finding small amounts of rust on the front grill and a few small spots. just fixing it as soon as i come across it thats why its taking me so long to get through everything. 

also the legend himself Sheepers tigged up my engine tunnel. looks a million bucks compared to what it would of been like if i migged it