Cam selection

Thchad

Just after some advice and opinions on cam selection, ive got a 16v bigport bluetop with st itb's on a t3 manifold the cars gonna be for circuit use but street legal. I'm having the head refurbished and all valve train components replaced with factory Toyota parts bar the springs which I've got some hardened genuine trd ones to go in since I'm looking to run higher revs. I don't want to go too higher lift 9mm very max, it's more the duration and manufacturer I can't decide on. What are you running and what recommendations would you make.

Any and all help appreciated cheers

kpr is probably the man to ask . if you are going for decent revs/cams you will proly want to do a shim under bucket conversion. what other mods you doing ? rev limit?  compression ratio will need to be changed depending on duration and duration will depend on what rpm you want your power to be made at etc

I'm looking at 8500 9000 rpm for this first build, compressions gonna change with a plain of the head and a trd head gasket ( not too extreme) and from what I've found in my research I shouldn't have trouble with the bucket over shim setup if I do t go too far with the lift hence limiting the lift. And I'm definitely going new not ground cams cos I do want to increase lift. So far I'm leaning towards tomei's poncams they're 264 and 8.35 mm lift he standard cams are something like 240 and 8.1 from memory. I wouldn't mind something like hks's 272 setup but don't know how boggy it'll be at low rpm?

Why don't you want to go over 9mm lift? Run as much as you can IMO. I'd run our 193-B's which are our rally cams and are designed to work with the standard shim over bucket setup. You'll see massive midrange gains and it will still go to 8500-9000rpm while retaining some street driveability.

Their specs are:

IN = 244deg @ 1mm valve (284deg advertised), 9.2mm

EX = 236deg @ 1mm valve (278deg advertised), 8.5mm

I'd steer clear of Japanese aftermarket cams. While they may work okay, they really don't know how to design optimised cam profiles. They also have no standard naming convention for their cams so you cannot compare a '272' from one manufacturer with a '272' from another.

Oh so your with kelford? Yeah that's the set I'm gonna go with now, i actually emailed kelford cams about it this morning. I was just trying to avoid changing the shim setup cos ive heard all sorts of different things but since they will work with the standard shim over bucket that seems to be perfect for what I want. I am changing the springs out to some trd ones and replacing the rest of the components with new oem parts, other than that is there anything else you'd recommend changing before putting those cams in?

TRD springs will be fine. We do have a 4age spring set but if you have the TRDs already you can run them. Any ideas what the closed/open pressures are on them?

As far as other stuff goes, get the seats cut and valves refaced (by someone who knows what they are doing). New stem seals and also adjustable cam gears are a must. We do try to endeavour to grind the cam advanced/retarded to give the recommended centrelines but it is really important you time in the cams as its impossible to be 100% certain they are in exactly the right spot when they are getting ground.

I've got new stem seals and everything ready to go and I got a mate at Toyota that's sussing the springs and guides for a realy good price so figured trd's gotta be good enough for what I'm wanting. But I'm still open to change if rob can sort something more suitable

I've got tomei adj gears and the valves are being refaced when the head goes in for the reconditioning. I'm basically trying to sort out what I want to go in the head and then handing it over to the engine reconditioners to clean it all up and put it together (part from cams since they have to go in after the heads put back on)