Sheeperz MS65 Crown Chitty-Chat

Julwer

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

im using a long board with 240 grit at this stage with a smaller block for the tight corners and shit.

i did use a guide coat but ive rubbed it all off in the process.

i uses my hands at this stage to feel for any deviations and one you've been doing it for a while it becomes obvious where the imperfections are.

on the final sand i used my hands to feel the shape but i also periodically wipe the panel down with prepsol and look along the panel. if the light is right you can see really well if lines aren't straight or there is a dent or whatever.

ill take a photo of the boards i use. 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

wouldn't wet sanding a car in primer be a bad idea?

And yes it will be sanded when the primer is dry haha

as from what i understand the primer absorbs moisture but might be different depending on the type of primer.

but i see why you are doing it to get a nice smooth surface.  

not that long ago every paint jobs final prep was done wet. 

the epoxy primer won't take on any water. 

1k primers will wet but most of them are ok. 

bog will soak water of course but you really shouldn't be wet sanding bog 

ands I don't think I'm going overboard with a car in going to sell. 

I probably am aren't I?

12 hours ago, sheepers said:

not that long ago every paint jobs final prep was done wet. 

the epoxy primer won't take on any water. 

1k primers will wet but most of them are ok. 

bog will soak water of course but you really shouldn't be wet sanding bog 

ands I don't think I'm going overboard with a car in going to sell. 

I probably am aren't I?

What grades of paper are you using.?

And what pain supplier do you use?

At work I'll sand dry with guid Coat from 180-240-(320)?-400- then 800 wet then colour.

One of the other painters just does 400 dry and that's it. Theres really no need as such to wet sand. We do it because once it's sanded you can see the shape and any waves/scratches easily because when wet the primer is glossy.

We go from filler sanded to like 180. Then spritz spray filler on most things. Helps a lot with defining hard edges and swage lines. Then a good heavy coat of 5320 spies hecker the sand as above.

Hopefully no rub throughs

i rough sand bog with 80 then finish with 120.

prepping the existing surface i use 120.

first coat of primer will be 120 or 220 depending on how close to finished (shape wise) i think it is.

wet sanding will be 400 with the DA to knock the skin off (i do a quick pass with the DA on every coat of primer to take the skin off because the skin likes to clog the paper and the DA seems to avoid this somehow) then wet 600 or 800 the whole thing. 

i wet sand it because you can see the shape heaps better and ive tried dry sanding a final prep before and i didnt like it, i couldnt see the shape and i made mistakes. when i think a panel is close to finished i wipe the whole thing down then wipe it over with prepsol. it gives the panel a gloss finish and you can see any ripples or imperfections in the light.

also ive found that dry the paper loads with dust and can cause scratches.

also i get more life out of the sandpaper when its wet.

i use 50mm wide masking tape to tape sheets of wet and dry together so that i can make a sheet long enough for my long board. i wet sand with the long board because it gets the panels straighter. the masking tape lasts longer than a sheet of sand paper before the water gets to it so thats no drama.

its a LONG process but it looks great when the colour goes on.

oh, and i use epotec 408 hi build primer. i really rate it. sure durepox dosent have a cloggy skin but its literally 5 times the price of epotec. 

i use the epotec 2k clear in places that dont matter (inside boot etc) but if i want a really deep clear then i use chromaclear which is about 6 zillion dollars a litre.

• Like 9

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I also got carpet from autodec for my wagon and was appalled at the quality and craftmentship of there product. The pattern was miles off and zero edges were over locked to stop tearing and trans tunnel wasnt moulded at all.

I sent mine back with big list of why it was shit and supplied my original set to prove how crap it was stating I'd like my money back if they couldn't re make it and I'd get one out of aus instead lol. They ended up re making it and I'm a lot happier with it. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...