S13 Front subframe into KE70/30/20?

bridgin

Hey people, I know there has been a lot of conversions to SR20DET into KE7x's in Australia, mainly because front cuts are cheap there and KE7x's are so cheap they are sometimes free, And there has been a lot of debate about running the s13 suspension and mostly negative opinions in regards to the changing of the steering geometry  and a much wider track but on the positive side you can gain far better adjustable suspension for 1/3 the price (being second hand) compared to building a set of adjustables or using after market AE86 ones.

But what are your guys/girls thoughts on this? I am contemplating doing either an S13 front conversion or a mix of S13 suspension onto KE70 x member in my KE20, to utilize better brakes, suspension and lock, Similar to Max Fouhys KE70, but I will be running a 4AGE/7AGE not and SR20

Rob.

Engine is either the 4AGTE I have or building a 7AGE and just keeping it NA, So power would be  80- 170 kw at the wheels spending on engine and set up using a link g4.

Wheels will be SSR mk 3's , 14 x 7.5 up front and 14 x 8.5 on the rear.

Diff is a b1600 with  b2000 4.1 lsd, rear brakes U13 Bluebird.

Its not a drifter or a bucket of shit that I'm going to hack up, I want to utilize the s13 front brakes and adjustable suspension  ae86 hubs and brakes are rare and over priced and the adjustables for them have no height adjustment only spring rate, this car will be low and I don't want to waste my time building some ke7x coil overs with no height adjustment and then have it certified and have to change it all again to get it to the desired height, been there done that.

So whats is wrong with using a second hand pair of TEIN or BC's from and s13, coupled together with addible lower control arms, castor arms and techno toy tuning T3 camber plates? Will the geometry be so out of whack I will be worse off or is that a fairly tale?

Ive only heard bad things about the s13 gear, I know Brendon Dunker has pulled quite a few out and swapped back in the ae86/ke70 stuff. maybe try ask him personally about it

You can weld most s13 coilovers onto the existing ke70 struts in the front and the back is just a matter of removing the springs from the shocks and changing the bottom bush

• Like 1

I used s13 gear in my r30 skyline,i would'nt reccomend it, as soon as i let the clutch out i could feel it was wrong,the ackermen angle(if thats what its called)is wrong and castor is wrong also,if you can get away with putting height adjustable shocks onto your hub/carriers then i would do that,theres plenty of brake upgrades useing toyota stuff. just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

@projectr30 if it fucked the geometry and changed the ackerman angle than thats a big problem, it would have been all over the show if you were over steering ? as for the castor could it not be corrected with adjustable arms? Im thinking more and more about implementing KE70 struts and using a height adjustable coil over form s13 or better yet r32 and sticking that together , that way i stay ke70 not s13

This is rediculious for many reasons but mostly because you keep mentioning price.

S13 stuff isn't going to bolt in- making it fit your Toyota will probably cost more than just buying correct stuff in the first place.

As for geometry... You are nuts if you think it's going to easily bolt in and work easily. you may as well do as rookie said and start from scratch/ upgrade wht you have.

@flying brick, how am I nuts for thinking it will work? its just suspension and its been done before many times on KE7X's, its not like I'm building a time attack car, all I am wanting to do is build a decent set up utilizing parts that aren't over priced like the BC or equivalent AE86 coiilovers.

s13 parts are cheap and in abundance here in NZ why not utilize ten and incorporate them into the KE7X front end?

S13 TEIN/BC/CUSCO Adjustables second hand in good condition: $200 - 500( All have height adjustable bodies)

Techno Toy tuning  T3 camber plates FOR KE20/KP61: $280

So say around 480 to 780 for the parts, then its machining the struts and fabricate them to fit the KE70 stub axels, How is that any harder than starting from scratch with fucking around trying to find the right length shock inserts, and ones dampening and then building them to be height adjustable huh?

There is a big difference between putting s13 full taps in and doing a crossmember swap. Even if you run s13 struts and brakes I have a feeling the KPI is wrong and you will end up in trouble. Basically you are heaps better off just making a set of full taps with the stock struts and then upgrading the brakes.

Check out Brennans KE70 roject for ideas.

Yeah I agree with ya Rookie and If its going to screw the ackerman angle up ( as projectr30 said) then its a no go, Building my own coil overs and using KE7x components will be the go, will research further on what  is the best way vs cost to build height adjustable coil overs ,

Next question is do i use KE7x steering rack or KP?, 

Do KP Cross members fit roughly into a KE20? or better to just modify the KE20 to fit KE7x rack?