TOMSTAMENT'S ULTIMATE CARPI

0R10N

On 9/21/2017 at 09:28, Testament said:

because looks sweet 8) 

pretty sure its 90% just for rigidity, certainly is in this case. maybe in a full on Winston cup car there is some voodoo to do with reversion and expansion/contraction of gasses but even there I am pretty sure they mostly do it for packaging/max lowness and its just bracing so it keeps its shape at a million degrees and 200mph 

My employer has an exhaust with a big flat oval end on it, I'm pretty sure he had to add a brace to stop it cracking and having a vibration/ weird rattley noise

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I'm understanding this correctly... The 5in pipe through the fender is for the full race tune and awesome... And the rest of the exhaust was to make it street legal, but then NASCAR boom tube to get it low because low is cool, except now it won't be quiet enough to pass cert so driving it on the road isn't happening....

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:44, Lt. Dan said:

If I'm understanding this correctly... The 5in pipe through the fender is for the full race tune and awesome... And the rest of the exhaust was to make it street legal, but then NASCAR boom tube to get it low because low is cool, except now it won't be quiet enough to pass cert so driving it on the road isn't happening....

Who knows, it might make the dB limit with the turbo and baffle type muffler? nice to know its exempt though, was not aware of that one. Had in the back of my mind I could modify the boom tube to fit some internal furniture for additional muffling if necessary.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Mate, I know its been years, but when you built your glide and you removed the OEM bell portion from the case, you said you had to trim some part up or something. I take it you were grinding using an angle grinder. But finishing it ... how was that done. Milled? Could you explain the process you go through removing the OEM bell in readiness for a JW bell. Ta.

• 2 weeks later...

Just with a grinder. the new bellhousing bolts to the pump so you just trim until nothing fouls. milling it would make a nicer finish but functionally wouldn't make any difference.

process was basically marking up where to cut with tape/sharpie pen etc. it is a little tricky in getting a good reference because from memory the bottom of the gearbox where the pan bolts on is not 90degrees to the plane of the pump/input/output shaft so you cant just plop it on the bench and reference it directly.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...