0R10N

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ngbbs51309f1ed39d2.gif

;)

Back on topic, pleased to see you back into this man, all I remember about planetary gears was is from mechanics of machines or whatever that paper was with ol mate wingnut. Let me know if you need something more substantial than a thrust washer picked up from up here lol

Dunno if mentioned or if Iv already asked..

What's your input shaft Tom?

Mines been upgraded to turbo sized input. No idea why as Iv not heard of a stock input failing..(though Iv not looked either)

Mines some TCI turbo spline alloy one

do some more research, the stock input shafts can fail as power levels rise. depends on the power level as to whether it is necessary.

turbo input shaft means it has different splines on it to fit a Turbo-Hydramatic (TH350/TH400) style torque convertor

you also then need to install a stator support bush unless your convertor has an internal support (not normal for TH350/TH400 convertors)

the info is all out there

convertor was under $2k, you could rebuild the trans with the change haha

and well a clutch up to the task isn't likely to be much cheaper + how much does a T56 Magnum cost?

nothing worth doing is cheap and easy.

but yeah the rebuild kit is cheap/for $300 I would just pay the man. The expenses were the transbrake valvebody, input shaft, ultrabell, twin ring servo and steel clutch hub.

if you were doing a more or less stock one its might be worth getting a steel clutch hub while its apart (they aren't that expensive) as when you hold the factory cast one you can see why they are the weakest link. otherwise should be gravy with standard parts behind a sane motor esp with a trans that came from a factory v8 car.

• 4 months later...

Other notes.

Need ryan fels strength to do up the crank nut 37ft/lb + 140 degrees is well into snapping 1/2" power bar territory.

golden flexplate maybe fools gold. had to file all the holes a tiny bit to get the torque convertor bolts started what a pita. I think maybe the bolts that came with the torque convertor were 7/16" and the GM factory ones are probably more of their favorite M11s. this said on both of the OEM flexplates I have there is one close fitting hole and two sloppy ones.

anyway just little finishing things left on the engine/gearbag, time to get stuck in to chassis things next.

• Like 1

your laundry basket of suzuki gsx550 parts

Oooh Burn.

I've actually ended up in Taupo this week for work at MRP. PM your cell number and I'll give you a bell next week when I find out when I'm leaving. Might be able to strip it down enough to go in my Corolla haha Have got my tools with me.