Junkyard Hall Effect Sensor

mikey

What's a good candidate for a Hall Effect sensor available at pick-a-part. 

Not a variable reluctance sensor, but a hall effect one with a square wave output.

Preferably not the type that use a disc that passes through the sensor. It's for measuring the revolutions of my driveshaft. 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, interesting, I've not seen many ABS sensors that are hall effect, they're normally variable reluctance. But I'll dig around the fords and see what I see. Don't think they'll have cars that modern at PAP unfortunately.....

Sorry I'm not much help as I don't understand a whole lot of square vs variable reluctance type but could a distributor sensor be suitable?

Or how about a pushbike speedo - even though the RPM may be too fast for a pushbike speedo to deal with - the sensor may still work at the RPM required?

Yeah all those things could work. I'm pretty keen to get a proper hall effect thingie thou 'cos it'd make the custom shit I'm doing that much easier. 

I've tried to get hall effect sensors from PAP before and I seem to always get them home and work out they're not quite right. 

But I think the key is to get a 3 wire one and I should be sweet. 

I'll sniff about PAP on the weekend.

you should be able to use a GM crank position sensor as well. Not the ford ones though.

I'm not 100% sure i know what i'm saying is correct, but i'm reasonably sure i am but do your own research before spending time/money etc

Theres 2 ways a hall effect sensor can work.

1 - it will produce a signal when a magnet comes near the sensor. This is pretty average for what you want unless you want to put a magnet on your driveshaft and balance it with the extra weight of a magnet. Good thing is that you can just go to jaycar, but a sensor for a couple of dollars and away you go.

2 - Others, like the GM crank sensor have a magnet inside the sensor and when something comes near it that disrupts that field, it will give you a signal. This is good because you dont need a magnet on your driveshaft, as long as there is something on your driveshaft that will disrupt the magnetic field periodically when it rotates (gap in the UJ should do this?)

Plenty of the second sensor available at PaP i would think if you start pulling electronic ignition stuff to pieces? They are often used for the sync pulse for the ignition system?

I was actually thinking of this the other week and got thoroughly confused for a bit haha and still not 100% sure on what the deal is.

put them on front and back to be able to sense b-outs to enable the oil squirters automatically?

this is for your speedo drive right? how are you planning on driving your original speedo? Are you wanting to put a stepper into the cluster itself to drive the needle directly? because then you no longer have a working odometer. To keep the odometer working, you would need to replicate the rotations of the cable. I tried a stepper, but they are nowhere near fast enough to drive the original cable... so need a motor to do ~4000RPM max to get above 240K on my toyota speedos, and to not use position sensors to get motor RPM back, i was planning on using a brushless DC motor as their drivers drive a motor much like a stepper and you should be able to dial in a speed without needing to do position feedback and the likes.

Interested to see what you were planning on doing as you may have a better idea than me haha

I believe I've got an EZ30 cam angle sensor in my bucket of bits at home.  Its a hall effect sensor which in the factory spec operation produces a square wave output from 3 notches ground into the cam.  Its 12V powered and quite a convenient shape for bolting into things.

biw9.jpg

• Like 1

put them on front and back to be able to sense b-outs to enable the oil squirters automatically?

this is for your speedo drive right? how are you planning on driving your original speedo? Are you wanting to put a stepper into the cluster itself to drive the needle directly? because then you no longer have a working odometer. To keep the odometer working, you would need to replicate the rotations of the cable. I tried a stepper, but they are nowhere near fast enough to drive the original cable... so need a motor to do ~4000RPM max to get above 240K on my toyota speedos, and to not use position sensors to get motor RPM back, i was planning on using a brushless DC motor as their drivers drive a motor much like a stepper and you should be able to dial in a speed without needing to do position feedback and the likes.

Interested to see what you were planning on doing as you may have a better idea than me haha

Cripes! 4,000 RPM! I wasn't expecting that. You're right in thinking this is for my speedo. 

I thought speedo cables chugged along pretty slowly, but having had a quick google it looks like 100kph is about 1,000RPM for Datsun speedos of a similar age. 

I dont have any ideas better than yours, haha. I was gonna use a stepper. I'll confirm the speed I need first and go from there.

I believe I've got an EZ30 cam angle sensor in my bucket of bits at home.  Its a hall effect sensor which in the factory spec operation produces a square wave output from 3 notches ground into the cam.  Its 12V powered and quite a convenient shape for bolting into things.

biw9.jpg

Looks perfect. There's got to be cars at PAP with similar sensors. Keen to get this project started today. Will hunt for 3 wire sensors.

I thought they were slower as well, but have a cable and cluster here and wanted to see what the deal was so connected it up to my drill and got just shy of 110 at Max speed and the drill says its 1400rpm

early 2000 ford explorers use a hall effect sensor for their ABS wheel speed sensor

hello, Ford Ka has a hall effect sensor machine on the gearbox for speed sensing.

the also have hall effect abs. Goto that ford wreakers next to pickapart Avondale maybe. This stuff is expensive new but cheap second hand cos nobody ever really buys it.

some are cable drive speedo tho, not all have abs and some late model ones use the abs sensors for speedo or something.

probably other fords like fiesta and focus etc are the same. I have no idea if its the type of sensor you're after.

I did this today:

IMG_20130720_190327.jpg

IMG_20130720_190337.jpg

It's a PIC16F628 with a L293D motor driver. I've hooked up a hall sensor and stepper motor. If the motor's not fast enough I'll find another brushless motor that is. 

Tomorrow I'll write some code and hopefully hook it up to the speedo.