J.e.d.'s 1963 Ford Galaxie Hardtop Discussion

The Bronze

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The car is decent but the trip sounds way fun. A few of us will be doing the same next year (large roadie with potential car buying) so looking forward to it, you must have some sweet roadie yarns. Keen to hear of any tricks of the trade as it were.

Nice car, good choice. I've got a 1964 Mercury, basically the same mechanically as the 63/64 Galaxies. Also a 390, but only a 2V carb. Sadly no better for economy.

How much does it cost to ship a big car from the USA to NZ now?

Cheers; 

No real pics under the hood or inside as it's a bit shit at the moment:  it needs a big cleanup under the bonnet, so when I've done that and it's not a dirty pit of shame I'll add some.

Interiors pretty plain and semi-assembled as I'm waiting on a new screen rubber so until the screen is out, then back in half the trim is missing and the hoodlining is hanging down. The trim has surface grime i'm autosolling off slowly in the shed while I wait for the rubber boat and funds for the next screen pull.

However long you're planning on going for, add a week, and spend it on the road with the freedom to just see shit. What time of year and what parts are you planning on going to see?

Basically, take a bunch of GC's, no GF's and cash. Don't take a credit card to Vegas. Don't go to the strippers drunk and alone. Definitely don't take a credit card to the strippers. Bonneville is awesome, but 3 days and you've seen it all and you're burnt to shit. All the lakes you plan to camp by on the drive from LV to LA will be dried out in August and everyone will curse your shit camping knowledge. 40degree heat and no aircon will cause madness. 6 guys in one camper will cause madness. And sharing. Of all sorts. Not me mind. Gas is cheaper in the middle of nowhere. Pomona has an awesome drag museum.

Pretty sure I need to go again next year; wanna hit San Diego for the dry cars; I need a 62 ranchero with a mercury comet nose, and then to Mexico for mexican. 

Compliancing is a matter of doing your homework and asking the right old geezers who they reckon you should use; they'll steer you along. Bring in parts with the car if you can, the dumb/boring shit like brake lines, gaskets and hoses all add up and they're so cheap there but rape you if you need to freight them here fast. Local suppliers can help, and are good sorts but also expect walletrape.

• Like 2

I think it was about 3500 in freight. I kinda try to forget the money side of it all.

Is the 64 a sedan or wagon - can't be many around? did they still have stuff like the breezeway window? I love that mad shit. The 62 mercs are probably my favourite of that period.

I was basically running a 2 barrel - just unblocked the jammed secondaries, hopefully should be more fun when I get it back on.

I've got a 62/63 pdf manual if you need, might have some shared bits.

I think it was about 3500 in freight. I kinda try to forget the money side of it all.

Is the 64 a sedan or wagon - can't be many around? did they still have stuff like the breezeway window? I love that mad shit. The 62 mercs are probably my favourite of that period.

I was basically running a 2 barrel - just unblocked the jammed secondaries, hopefully should be more fun when I get it back on.

I've got a 62/63 pdf manual if you need, might have some shared bits.

Convertible. The sedans have the breezeway window - like an anglebox.

We bought it in Indiana and drove it a bit there before shipping home. Pretty much been a driver since then. I also keep my bonnet down. Probably saw you at the BH!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Yeah, cruisomatic, it was really good until I got the car worked on. I got someone to do the sump gasket and I think he lifted it and twisted the motor to do the gasket.

I suspect the linkage is kinked or twisted from that. When I'm working the accelerator by hand I have to shove it right down to engage the kickdown link, much further than i'd imagine it'd go when I'm using my foot. Unfortunately I had no kids around today to help me figure that out.

Be interested to know how far down your accelerator goes before it engages the kickdown linkage, and then how much movement are you getting. My kd linkage only moves maybe half an inch to 3/4.

I have the manual thanks, it's good, but bits like this it's handy to see one that works, or ask someone.  What did you end up doing to sort your trans? I redid the vacuum line from the brake booster but hasn't helped, aside from knowing it's done.

Yeah, cruisomatic, it was really good until I got the car worked on. I got someone to do the sump gasket and I think he lifted it and twisted the motor to do the gasket.

I suspect the linkage is kinked or twisted from that. When I'm working the accelerator by hand I have to shove it right down to engage the kickdown link, much further than i'd imagine it'd go when I'm using my foot. Unfortunately I had no kids around today to help me figure that out.

Be interested to know how far down your accelerator goes before it engages the kickdown linkage, and then how much movement are you getting. My kd linkage only moves maybe half an inch to 3/4.

I have the manual thanks, it's good, but bits like this it's handy to see one that works, or ask someone.  What did you end up doing to sort your trans? I redid the vacuum line from the brake booster but hasn't helped, aside from knowing it's done.

I had my kid sit in the drivers seat. Looks like the accelerator goes most of the way to the floor before picking up the kickdown rod. It only moves about 1/2 inch at the manifold end, so sounds similar. The manual has a really complicated adjustment procedure.

I connected the modulator vacuum to the booster T, which is in turn connected to manifold vacuum.

Good luck getting it working right.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...