The Bronze's XB Falcon

KKtrips

Project thread - //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/39327-the-bronze-1974-ford-falcon-xb-sedan/

Awesome bro. Keen to see heaps more photos and interior shots. An older guy in Lyall Bay here in Wellington had one the same colour and condition that he sold in the last few years. I can't remember if his was V8 or a 6. Which is yours?

Hopefully it'll be the feelgood hit this summer... 

Awesome!  I fucking love these.  I assumed your username came from the Queens song.

An older guy in Lyall Bay here in Wellington had one the same colour and condition that he sold in the last few years. I can't remember if his was V8 or a 6. Which is yours?

Charlie's one was a Cleveland powered XC.

Cool, couple of years ago I had a xb fairmont 302, factory air, steer, floor shift. Also had some gt parts. Bought it off a Guy who had owned it since the early 80's. Anyway, sold it and now playing with an early bird XP to satisfy my need for rusty old junk.

Hey, yeah, I read through your build somewhere, you're on the HAMB too eh? Might've been there I read it. Love your car; my grand parents had one the same colour, they traded it in on a 323 wagon because it was too old. Fools. I'd love an XP or XM ute, avocado green and slammed. 

Yeah, Im on the hamb as well, although dont look around there much anymore, its quite political when it comes to traditional or not stuff.

Thats cool your grand parents used to have one the same colour, I cant actually remember seeing them around that much growing up in wellington, apart from my neighbor across the road doing up a XP wagon. I remember seeing quite a few EH holdens around though. A good mate of mine has been looking for a XP for ages and reckons there pretty hard to find now in NZ.

Its funny you mention an early ute, I have been looking for a half decent XM for at least 6 months now but seems like everyone wants too much money or dont want to sell and yes I totally agree, green and slammed would be the go. but I will setlle for almost anything at the moment, even a rachero from the states, seem to be a few of them kicking around over here in Melbourne now.

• 1 year later...

tumblr_np7fzjzkDs1snjz6bo2_1280.jpgKeen on advice on what to do in regards the back of the back seat - it looks like shit. Can I put a bit of mdf in there to tidy it up or is that goning to just rattle and make the sub less effective? Can I vinyl/carpet it?

with this usually there is a thin layer of cardboard between the back of your seat and the metal frame. 

that or pull your seat out and i can hog rig some vinyl to the back of it for you?

• 3 months later...

It's a pisser, the front half is almost passable but the back is baggier than a whores hooch. it needs a few inches taken out of the section over the tunnel. I might take it to a local upholsterer and see if they can resew it if i cut it down. It's also cheap nylon carpet, so heatgunning it to soften it into shape is a slow careful process. I have kept the original, which might be passable. 

hey man you could do buy yourself some house hold under felt and slam that under your carpet where it needs it.

will pack it out nice and also add some more sound deadening and be spongy on your feet.

kinda like this stuff here. its about 10mm thick.

20150908_134351_zps8kwlepar.jpg

or if you want let me know and i can supply you what you need :) 

also heat it up from the back side may help.

sounds like the norm from autodec though sadly 

• Like 1

Yeah, I have one layer but another wouldn't hurt. it will still be pretty loose. And I can foresee seams being an issue.

I did heatgun the back a bit, but the cheap nature of the carpet made me cautious. Melty.

If I have a sunny weekend I might leave it out a few hours although I really want to start putting it back together rather than pissing around.

I've never used the POR fuel tank sealer kit but will have to on several of my cars. Great progress shot of it too, that stuff looks legit.

As for the carpets, I know it's too late but Knox Auto Carpets in Australia are excellent. They manufacture carpets for Australian cars using the exact fibre blends and often original mouldings. They have a huge range of colour and plushness options too. I've used them before and can't rate them highly enough.

• Like 2

Good to know, those look infinitely better off the bat, and their prices aren't bad either, although freight outta Oz is usually a fucker. I'm on a "do it once, do it right" kick at the moment, so I might see what I've got I can whack on the trademe and maybe swing one of these.

/edit - their website automatically converts to NZD, so the $181 is NZD. Jesus I feel thoroughly ripped off now.

I'll vouch for the POR tank sealer kit. Used it on one of my Harley tanks when the previous stuff I used (can't remember the name - was white rubberised stuff) wasn't applied properly & started rusting underneath the coating.

Cleaned off the old stuff best I could, did the prep & applied the POR product & it was good as gold.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Good to hear it's mobile.   :-)

I had a white XB ute 250 3-on-the-tree back in the '80s, fun to drive on crossplys with a LSD.  My Dad had a Cosmic blue XA wagon 200 3-on-the-tree from new, with ROH slot mags.  Did a family road trip from Auckland to Christchurch for the Commonwealth Games and my oldest sister's wedding, Falcon was one of the wedding cars, along with an uncle's Valiant.