another bike carb setup thread

BlownCorona

Was sort of avoiding doing this, and was just gonna read/bump old threads, but it seems every experience with setting these up is different, so without further ado, here is my thread. 

ive put a set of GSXR1100 carbs on my 2.0l toyota 18r engine, i think the carbs are mikuni BST40s 

i drilled the jets out to 1.6 as instructed in the classic ford/bogg brothers article that most people will know about. this seemed to be still far too lean, it started, but was hard to do so, and didnt really want to rev, was generally rough, and it was spitting out the bellmouths of the carbs. randomly, and from all carbs, no particular order. 

CURRENT SETUP

drilled 1.75mm jets

air bleed screws at 1.5 turns out. (were set at 3.25?!) 

needle clip droped 1 down from factory (now at the lowest point)

the engine fires very quickly and idles pretty smoothly, and fuck does it bark when you rev it up, sounds incredible and im really happy. BUT it still spits out the front of the carbs, it seems less so now, but its so random its hard to tell, someone it will idle for 5 mins perfectly, some times it will spit quite alot. it LOOKS like its spitting out of the air bleed jet in the front of the carb mouth, but again, hard to tell. 

heres a video of the first startup, running to lean, and generally horrible. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0AtcaJ0dZk

anyone got any idea whats causing this? timing looks to be fine. 

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea, it sounds lean, are you confident with the seal on the manifold? and was that with it warm? Because my Lotus coughs when it is cold because the fuel doesn't atomise properly, and it runs a bit lean. The only way to tune them properly is with a wideband. Also doesn't lowering the needle make it leaner?

Does it only spit at idle? maybe wind the idle screw out a bit more to richen it up (or what ever way is richer lol).

And have you tried going bigger again on the jets? Ive heard the rule of thumb 1/1000th of engine size (ie 2mm for you) as a starting point.

Yea, it sounds lean, are you confident with the seal on the manifold? and was that with it warm? Because my Lotus coughs when it is cold because the fuel doesn't atomise properly, and it runs a bit lean. The only way to tune them properly is with a wideband. Also doesn't lowering the needle make it leaner?

im not 100% sure it vac leak free, probably never will be 100%, however it starts really easy, idles smooth, and revs cleanly, so im not sure if that makes a vac leak likly or not. 

the engine was run for around 5mins at a time, because i always got too concerned with what the issue might be that i shut it off. so it would have been warm ish, 

wideband is on the cards, im just still not sure if i want to spend the 300 required. i have the o2 sensor from an ae101 levin, anything that could be done with this? those o2 sensor kits they sell at jaycar?

also might be worth metioning that i dont have the throttle hooked up yet, so have not actually applied load/driven it

i have stipped and cleaned them, everything looked pretty tidy, came off a running bike, not a bad ideal to throw a rebuild kit at it, just at this stage it seems unnecessary as nothing leaks. 

and since i need filters anyway, it seems better to just buy those and see if it clears is up

i got home from work, and i wanted to see how it would start, dead cold, in freezing conditions. 

started great, and idles smooth after a minute or so on choke. still spiting every now and again. but i did notice someone important that i wasn't seeing in the light. 

and that was on one of the spits, i saw a glow around the intake flange -> head join. so it looks like its probably vac leaks causing this. i might need to shim the intake and exhaust flanges since they fit together in some parts and may not be exactly the same thickness. 

does this sound likely? i know rookie mentioned vac leaks, just last experience i had with leaks has been much different.