Slugs strip beetle

flyingbrick

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn’t know there were LSD centres available?  please elaborate....

The one in this box is a peloquin diff, but this is a hybrid 091/bus box set up.

For a type one box I have run both Quaiffe and ZF. My favorite is the ZF, awesome lock up, great for donuts ... nuff said !

The Quaiffes Im not sure on availability anymore, but the ZF's there is a guy in Canada, Bruce Tweddle, and he does a trip every 12 months down to Mexico and pulls ZFs out of dead cars down there (they were stock issue in some cars sold to sandy and snowy areas... especially the things), takes them home and rebuilds them...  Mostly IRS, the swingaxle ZFs are pretty hard to come by and spendy.

Awesome to find this on here!

I've been meaning to spend more time on the forum, but life and stuff gets in the way.  My family and I are due to emigrate in 4 weeks to NZ from the UK.  With us we are bringing my missus' 52/56 VW Beetle drag car.
It was last raced in about '06 but should see the light of day again on a strip in NZ.

Anyway, I'm friends with Steve and Adele who you bought your bug from.  She's a peach, I absolutely love that car.  Some awesome people have been involved over the years including Chris Isaacs and Wayne Allman (google 'mental breakdown vw bus' if you don't know it), and it took a top 20 award when it was first debuted at the VolksWorld show. 

Then again, its your car now, i'm sure you know all this!

Cannot wait to see what you do with the car :-)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Looking for a bit of advice on where to buy silicone hose for the inlet tract, and how much to use... From the turbo to the intercooler inlet will be less than 10", do I use two collars and a bit of alloy or one bit of silicone hose. The run out and back to the intercooler is a bit tricky so that will be alloy mostly.

And where to get it from, looking for good quality chit in the ak.

The stuff on the engine now is all turbosmart, might just grab some more of that to make it work.

Anyone looking for any AN fittings ? A mate in Aus buys wholesale from XRP in the US. He has offered to give me his pricing, so Im making a long list now. Can price stuff if anyone wants any.

• 2 months later...

Rims to mount some radials on, they weigh 5 kgs each.

A08BAAA0-E6E1-4882-B3EB-B4A7C381A929-629

Bogarts?

where did you get them from? direct? I've been umming and ahinng about various wheels for a while - they have some designs I'm keen on but had not got as far as sending them an email to work out how to buy them/how many moonbeams they are compared to welds or billet specialties/just getting some cheap D windows that weigh 300kg each :lol:

• 1 month later...

And progress is slooowwww... Although I did pick up a pre turbo water/meth injection set up from Green Brothers racing in Tauranga, I figure if they can make 800 + hp on 98 and a 13b turbo, they must be doing a lot right. Should be on loom making wiring in a couple of weeks after stripping down to short block to get bits coated etc... Running by August. I'd advise not holding breath on this though.

Bits surplus to requirements, 20l fuel cell and turbosmart eboost2. Give us a yell if either tickles your fancy.

The wheels above are Erco star cuts, super duper light.

• 1 month later...

Nah its not a lock in the heat deal, the stuff on the cylinders helps heat transfer. The reality is compared to stock there is bugger all fin area so it will run hotter regardless, especially at the head end. Water jackets at the head would be the answer. This is all assuming I can make the thing street legal and it actually gets hot enough to care !

• 2 weeks later...