sluggy

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Since the engine is apart, heads have gone to Marsh, there was .018" difference in seat heights so this is all being sorted. Changing the cam, decided I might as well maximise the potential, the heads are good for around 300hp NA based on the flow numbers, so biggy upsized to 280 @ .050" lifting .611" at the valve. Potentially good for 600 + ish hp at the flywheel. So will remove boost to make it tractable.

The 10th December is now a distant memory unfortunately. The pushrods I need (7/16 tapered) have to be cut to length in the US (the only way they will sell them to me), so need to get cam, set up geometry (currently miles out) then order pushrods. Also down speccing on valve spring size as they were way overkill triple K900's.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Have been doing a bit on this. Tinware is just about done barring a couple of naca duct holes then out for powdercoat , fire system is in. Have ordered pushrods, springs, retainers, keepers, spare bearings, new rod bolts and have sorted rocker geometry, friends with mills are good friends to have. Wiring is sorted to the engine plug, really just the plug to engine to do, its a short run so shouldn't be long. 4mm steel plate welded in pedal area - floor pan was super flexi. Getting all the flexi brake/clutch lines remade as they have been in the car a while. 

Really not that far away... famous nearly last words.... March 2017.

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

Just in case anyone has been thinking.... I wonder what happened to this. I have hit a major curve. The holes in the heads that the pushrods pass through are making contact with the pushrods at about 3/4 lift... File it out I hear you say, but alas, these need to seal against the pushrod tube seal, and they have already been moved so they are hard against the valve cover rail. And welding and machining opens a whole new can of worms.

So to "fix" the interference issue, I will be reassembling, trying the set up with the old smaller cam and maybe go to a different ratio rocker if the adjusting screw centreline is closer to the pivot point, and hopefully I can find enough clearance to make it work. I can probably sort it and have crappy rocker arm geometry, Ill go there if I have too. Pushrods are 1/2" diameter and tapered at the ends.

Because this engine is not exactly off the shelf, Pauter (the manufacturers) were contacted, they no longer have castings made and all their current heads are billet at the amazing price of $8k usd a pair (holy fuck is the correct expletive here). Unfortunately if plan A fails this is where I am at, which is why I have mothballed it for a while. This week, next weekend Ill get it together and start trying shit. 

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

Bit of a break between drinks.... Basically shelved it due to the above, and a chev takeover situation. So I have finally started looking at this again and I have a long winded plan, the heads that I could have bought 18 months ago are no longer available, so with the guidance of Dr Gouk racing engines, we will be getting the existing heads scanned, and another set of pauter heads scanned, and amalgamating the rocker box from the pauter heads onto my heads, once the design is all finalised they will be milled out of aluminium billet. Time frame.... 12 plus a bit months, but hey why hurry right !!

It was either the above, or try and sell what I have and buy another engine. The Pauter blocks now have a spread bore so you can run up to 108mm bores, so the crank/cam and everything is different to what I have.

• Like 5

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...