Matt_spitfire's TA22 Daily Driver build/resto

Cant believe i haven't commented before,

I smile greatly when i see an update for this build! Awesome stuff going on within.

Cheers EURON8 i find having a build thread motivates me to get shit done on the car so ive got something to update haha.

Dude, thanks for the excellent amount of detail with those photos!

Excellent thread! :D

Thanks man, probably get a bit trigger happy with the old camera but i try to show in as much detail what ive done and how ive done it, i find it easier to work something out by looking at it or drawing it up as opposed to doing a shit load of reading!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

looks good rolling again Matt love your work good stuff!

Cheers Ben! hows the 1500 coming along, are you still at Prestons out stoke?

Plan was too have this done for the 1st drag meet/4s and rota south island champs out mot, probably wont happen at this rate but its something to aim for, definitely want to have it on the road for summer.

its looking good man nice work on the strut towers very cool, 1500 is coming along good mate not far off finishing chassis and starting on the body and yeah still down stoke mech with preston, yeah good things take time don't they! 

Yeah man time and money! bit of a mish on nelson wages haha, have to come check out the 1500 sometime

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone converted a diff to disc brake in a car that was originally running drums?

Just curious about how i should go about plumbing it up?

Ive gone a got the pajero master cylinder which is a common upgrade for a ta22 running discs but can i get away with just fitting an adjustable brake bias valve and adjust the rear brakes accordingly?

• 4 months later...

Hey Matt- loving how this is going.

For your brake question- Disc calipers take more fluid movement from the master so you usually need a larger diameter master to go from rear drums to discs. Otherwise you will end up with excessive if not slightly soft feeling pedal travel. If you can select a master cylinder bore size off a car that has discs all round then do that. Is your dad a machinist? Another option would be to bore out current cylinder. It might only need a couple of mm to work- so long as the casting is thick enough to allow.

On those window clips- did you try scotts old rubber in OZ? He normally has them and a lot cheaper. Check him out for other bits you might need.

Are you in Nelson or Blenheim. Id love to check this car out.  After seeing a sweet as satin black one lowered in Wales, UK I have always liked these. That engine too - is such a cool classic twink shape.

Alex.

Hey Matt- loving how this is going.

For your brake question- Disc calipers take more fluid movement from the master so you usually need a larger diameter master to go from rear drums to discs. Otherwise you will end up with excessive if not slightly soft feeling pedal travel. If you can select a master cylinder bore size off a car that has discs all round then do that. Is your dad a machinist? Another option would be to bore out current cylinder. It might only need a couple of mm to work- so long as the casting is thick enough to allow.

On those window clips- did you try scotts old rubber in OZ? He normally has them and a lot cheaper. Check him out for other bits you might need.

Are you in Nelson or Blenheim. Id love to check this car out.  After seeing a sweet as satin black one lowered in Wales, UK I have always liked these. That engine too - is such a cool classic twink shape.

Alex.

Cheers Alex, might have to check out scotts rubber ive got genuine toyota weather seals but still after a few bits and pieces and got the clips for a discounted price as i placed a big order.

Im in Nelson, car is located out wakefield ways but will be bringing it in to town to get glass put in, wheel alignments etc over the next few weeks/months youre more than welcome to come check it out.

Im running a pajero M/C which seems to be a fairly common upgrade for ta22s in aus. never converted drum to disc and would rather get it right first time round instead of having the brakes fail while test driving it haha.

My old man is the foreman of the cnc shop at Topliss Engineering and i worked there for a number of years so its pretty handy.

Cheers

Matt

Oh yeah. Topliss. Classy! I know tony the pom who works part time there. I think my old boss gordon dacombe is friends with the topliss family. I bet there are many nice machines there. Very bloody handy !!!!

Yeah man, not going to lie its pretty handy when i do get the chance to go in there, i worked there in the arvos after school, every school holidays and for a couple of years full time so they know me in there well enough. makes me wish id done an apprenticeship while i was there haha 

yep that master will be fine.

what clips are you after?

Sweet cheers for the info man! Might just buy one of those wildwood adjustable brake bias valves off trademe.

All sorted for clips now I think, they're just the ones that hold the chrome trim around the frot and rear windows, got 40 of the for half price but might still need to get some rubber trim that goes around the the doors/side windows.

Cheers

Matt

also you can get the door seals, belt line seals and roof line seals off the ebay without to much drama.

Basis in Blenheim have the rear quarter vertical glass seals. LH torana or something but i think their website lists them as celica too. 

Cheers man, good to know! I think I've got pretty much everything sorted by I'll find out when time comes to reassemble it, got to notch the back of the driveshaft tunnel when it meets to boot floor as there's going to be clearance issues with the hilux diff head. Also waiting on front end panels to arrive from japan

• 2 months later...

Hey guys

my ta22 frp panels have just landed from japan! currently theyre located in Auckland, i need to get them to Nelson..

2 packages:

1x bonnet diemensions 142x145x15 8kg

2x front guards (packaged together) 94x32x156 20kg

Mainfrieght quoted me $350..

Anyone know anyone that can help (cash job) or any recommendations?

Ive already spent close to a couple of grand buying these panels and getting them to nz..

Cheers

Matt