Matt_spitfire's TA22 Daily Driver build/resto

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Arachetype.

Yeah there was a fair of rust but it was all in the sills and spare tyre well the rest of underbody was basically all surface rust,  before seeing the car in person i thought i could get away with just patching the sills but on closer inspection they were about 60% bog/rust as the drainage holes had been filled over so water just sat in the sills  and rusted them away so got some new ones folded up.

Yeah luckily that was the spare "better condition bonnet" i have athe other one there stripped bad to bare metal so i might part with some $$$ and get it prefessionally panel beaten.

Its been a fair bit of work but its slowly coming together, i want to try have it on the road for the beginning of summer.

Cheers

Matt

Hey man, I stripped all the old underseal/surface rust off with a wire wheel on a drill and paint stripper.

I got a product called gold seal, theres a guy up north who makes it especially for heavy duty applications (farm equipment etc).

Once it was all stripped to bare metal i used cold seal which is an under coat that this guy sells it etches into the metal and leaves a protective layer prevent rust resurfacing (similar consistancy to honey when applied and you just thin it as required)

once that had dried i sprayed gold seal underseal with an air gun, thinned it down with thinners and applied plenty of coats to ensure good coverage.

I think all up i got 1L of cold seal for $20 and $60 5L of underseal shipped to nelson for $15 and comes with application instructions.

It took a while to set but i think thats because my ta hasnt seen any direct daylight/fresh air and i didnt really give it a chance to dry between coats.

I can give you the guys email, hes more than happy to answer questions and help out where he can.

Cheers

• Like 1

hey man, duno what your budget is for a new bumper is but theres a NOS one, still in its box, for sale in Japan at the moment here: http://page9.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k161791878

theres actually a whole heap of NOS stuff on there at the moment:

http://auctions.search.yahoo.co.jp/search?p=ta22&auccat=2084005255&f=0x2&slider=0&tab_ex=commerce&ei=UTF-8&b=1

these cars a very cool, a friend of mine has a ra23 and another one used to have a ta22.

EDIT: Ive just seen your wanted ad, that links been sent to you already haha

Cheers, the ta22 will be going a real straight bullet silver like what you see on the new rav 4s or mazda atenzas, i wanted to go matador red mica like on the new lexus but that paint cost rediculous money.

the impul meshies will be getting widened to 9.5" on the rear and will stay original size on the front for the time being untill i can find some facelift  front guards that have more of a pumped lip on them.

this ta22 is a pre facelift so the front guards arent able to be rolled/pumped to fit wider wheels (they still have 30-35mm of dish as they are, but the rears will have about 115-120mm of dish once widened) and will be getting painted or plasti dipped satin black or anthracite which is a real dark metallic gray. adjusties all round so want to run the minimum 100mm ground clearance.

The RA23 will be going a satin gunmetal/bronze and will also be running meshies but bigger and wider, will be going down the same route as sheepers ra28 with cut and shut r32 skyline irs along with s13 hubs disks calipers up front and s13 adjusties all round and most likely mini tubbed in the rear :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good man!

adjusties all round so want to run the minimum 100mm ground clearance.

Unless things have changed, i'm pretty sure you can go lower than 100mm when certed, which I assume you'll be doing.

Cheers, I thought it was 100mm ground clearance to the chassis rails? do you know what the minimum is? 

It'll be going as low and the adjusties will allow haha

100mm with no cert.

Theres been at least a couple cars certed at like 40mm, it's all about how much travel you have I believe, ask in here for details: //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/17433-for-questions-regarding-wofscertsnumber-plates/page-106

Salutations fellow noble celica owner, Might I enquire as to where thou didst purchase thine replacement sills?

Mine are in a most putrescent state!

Hey mate, always good to talk to a fellow celica owner.

I got my new sills from a guy called Dave at Auto & General Sheetmetal based in Invercargill, he makes all kinds of custom sheet metal panels i just sent him a template of the sill, they were $150-160 each 1800mm from memory so you just cut them to the suit.

Top bloke and easy to deal with, from memory i think it was about a week turn around shipped to my door.

This is his profile on trademe: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Profile.aspx?member=133964

I have a couple of small offcuts from the new sills which you can use as a template if need be, they werent an absolute perfect fit but pretty damn close!

I definitely recommened him to anyone who wants custom steel and fibre glass panels at a resonable price and good turn around time.

Hope this helps!

Cheers

Matt

100mm with no cert.

Theres been at least a couple cars certed at like 40mm, it's all about how much travel you have I believe, ask in here for details: //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/17433-for-questions-regarding-wofscertsnumber-plates/page-106

Cheers Raizer, Ill definitely look into it and ill have a talk to my certifier at the next nzdra meet.