Threeonthetree's Two Stroke Motorcycles etc

UTERUS

OK so heaps of work was done to this before I left Napier.

Pulled carbs apart and gave them a good clean out.

New clutch, completely disassembled gearbox and cleaned out and filled with new fluid. New front brake switch.

Rode around for awhile but now I'm moving again and I don't feel like taking it with me.

It runs great and you should buy it.

• Like 1

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

The other night I decided to quickly polish the brightwork, give the tank some wax and clean all the electrical connections.

It came up looking a bit more presentable than before. The stickers are peeling and some of the covers are very faded, but eventually it will receive a repaint and new decals. But for now I'm not spending money on anything other than getting it road legal:

30173367116_20c7ffc3fe_b.jpgIMG_7518 by Neal OnTheTree, on Flickr

30173341746_4bc0cb7171_b.jpgIMG_7522 by Neal OnTheTree, on Flickr

29578512463_d2526d57d4_b.jpgIMG_7524 by Neal OnTheTree, on Flickr

29911919940_077ab2c9c6_b.jpgIMG_7527 by Neal OnTheTree, on Flickr

The front brakes are terrible so I whipped the pads out and the caliper apart. The seals are okay for now, I'd usually replace them at this point but money's too tight to mention so it will just be a clean up, new brake fluid and some fresh brake pads. The brake hose is also fine.  Managed to track down the last two Genuine Suzuki sets of pads in the country for next to nothing so they're on their way to Auckland right now.

• Like 6

I was having a browse on the innernet and discovered that Suzuki UK makes brand new genuine parts for the GT250 X7. And most of them are cheap.

https://www.suzuki-gb.co.uk/motorcycles/my-suzuki/vintage-parts/vintage-bikes/vintage-bikes/gt250ex-x7/

I don't want to cafe racer-ise or really modify this bike much. It's pretty sweet in all its late 70's/early 80's glory. 

They sell stuff for other older Suzuki bikes too if anyone was interested:

https://www.suzuki-gb.co.uk/motorcycles/my-suzuki/vintage-parts/vintage-bikes/vintage-bikes/1/

This is a beautiful bike.

Did it ever get revined?

Not quite. I'm fixing the last few basic issues before I take it in to be tested.

The brake pads that came out were more glazed than my eyes after reading one of Roman's efficiency graphs. So they didn't really work.

It's only really poor front brakes, a potentially insecure taillight assembly and maybe the crack on the gearbox casing that I think is really worth addressing.

I'll fix the brakes and post a photo of the crack to see if it's worth worrying about.

• Like 1

The old pads had plenty of meat left on them, but they were glazed and hardened and effectively well... ineffective.

30211144771_3712fa30ff_b.jpgIMG_7534 by Neal OnTheTree, on Flickr

So I collected my new brake pads which are a much better compound, softer and not just because they're not crusty with age. They also have the groove down the centre for better heat dissipation and what not. The old pads had a heap of that horrible anti-squeal orange goo all over them. Which meant that it was all over the caliper too. So I spent quite a while scraping it all off before re-assembling the caliper and slotting in the new pads

29666137023_c7e32f6d35_b.jpgIMG_7535 by Neal OnTheTree, on Flickr

The minimum runout on the front disc is 4.5mm so I whipped out my calipers and measured the thickness. Thankfully this came in at just under 6mm.

The old brake fluid came out and in went the new fluid. And after a proper brake bleed and then a 'cable tie' bleed for almost 10 hours the lever feel is firmer than before.

I took it out for a hoon around the neighbourhood with plenty of stopping tests and the difference is night and day.

30181232902_cb20107530_b.jpgIMG_7536 by Neal OnTheTree, on Flickr

My friend Holly bought me this sweet ghetto blaster keytag from Real Groovy which I think suits the bike quite well.

30000239780_8bcc59ea0e_b.jpgIMG_7537 by Neal OnTheTree, on Flickr

After parking the bike back in the garage following the brake bedding-in ride, I decided to remove the cracked gearbox cover.

30296761465_bb834408d8_b.jpgIMG_7542 by Neal OnTheTree, on Flickr

30261843806_6869d392ab_b.jpgIMG_7581 by Neal OnTheTree, on Flickr

30261834866_9012d56e73_b.jpgIMG_7582 by Neal OnTheTree, on Flickr

30261826276_d8e9f09d44_b.jpgIMG_7583 by Neal OnTheTree, on Flickr

I want to weld up the crack now that I have the cover off and cleaned up.

It probably won't be an issue for the re-vin but it's probably an easy fix for someone with some TIG skills.

You might be surprised how sympathetic the Vin man is with an old classic bike in factory looking form. The fella that did my most recent revins certainly was.

Looks great. I bet it goes a lot better than my old GT185 too

I hope so. I visited Red Baron Cycles today and spoke to their Vin man. He seemed firm but fair and definitely had a soft spot for older bikes.

I've heard that Red Baron are quite a good place for re-vinning but I'm open to other suggestions. I'm going to sort out the paperwork for the bike now. The numberplate still comes up on Carjam.co.nz as being assigned to this bike and the numbers all match up. I need to provide some form of ownership. I think I need to read the two wheeled discussion section and learn what to do here.

I bought my NSR from Red Baron, they were nice then. (late 90's)

They more recently had an SP NSR for sale which I enquired about and they never had the courtesy to reply to any of my attempts for more information. They can get fucked. It's probably still for sale too. I know it was for months afterward.