My Mitsubishi Galant GE !978 Evo Conversion and full interior conversion

• 2 weeks later...

STRIPPED DOWN THE 4G63 FOUND NO.2 BEARING WITH DEEP GOUGES AS PER PIC ALSO BIG ENDS LOOK SWEET AS BUT GOING TO REPLACE ANYWAY NO OTHER PROBLEMS FOUND AND ONLY DONE 124000KM OTHER MAINS LOOK NEW LOL BALANCE SHAFTS REMOVED ASWELL AS BELT WAS BROKEN N DONT NEED THEM TO BRAKE MY ENGINE

OLD BEARINGS
rkkzgor3.p2e.jpg
NEW BEARINGS
fcbqiqh0.m4y.jpg

OLD BEARINGS OUT IN WITH THE NEW
ychw3ajc.44u.jpg
k3deu5hk.wll.jpg
iqppvjvu.1hm.jpg

MAINS ALL TORQUED DOWN 28NM THEN 55NM FROM AUTODATA
gx0ne2hx.vc5.jpg

HEAD DISMANTLED NEED NEW EXHAUST VALVES UNLESS THESE A WAY TO MAKE THE OLD ONES LOOK LIKE NEW
whn5sjgs.aak.jpg
ehk5qshg.ryh.jpg
mwj2adq2.1j2.jpg
zij350ad.oet.jpg
j20u4bur.5tm.jpg

A LITTLE (HUGE) FRIEND VISITED
ncs3vhhe.nqe.jpg
eicji0b2.j4w.jpg
jpokt3td.oto.jpg

BIG END BEARING CONDITION
hpb1uweq.x4l.jpg
gcaol2xd.rhh.jpg
hgiarx2o.wog.jpg
xxljj4wu.ej4.jpg
koxmpd0s.zz2.jpg
iqomi2e4.arr.jpg
pejffai5.a1m.jpg
z3qa5z34.1xh.jpg

PISTON HEAD CONDITION NOTICE THE PITTING UNKNOWN WHERE THAT CAME FROM BUT TOOK TO RECON PLACE TO SEE IF THEY WERE ALL GOOD AND HE SAID TO JUST FILE THE HIGH POINTS OFF AND THEY WILL BE SWEET SO I HAVE DONE THAT IN THE PIC
acujy4is.0p5.jpg
d2e44r2m.i21.jpg
jcxo5vmv.huq.jpg
z5sidjnz.3ii.jpg

CRANK CONDITION BEFORE IT WAS CLEANED SO HAS LITTLE DUST BITS IN THE OIL IT CAME UP VERY CLEAN AFTER
orba2tmt.tss.jpg
ovd4skit.dcy.jpg
cyvl3odu.v3q.jpg
em24laqc.2qg.jpg
xr0d104y.g1o.jpg
yqcymnex.v11.jpg
jcdinpjf.mtu.jpg
2bbzx3kk.2p2.jpg
fxnegqv1.wl0.jpg

took all the bearings back out and gave the block a full cleanup dont like old oil in my new engine looks very nice the wet patches in the pic is just the oil for installing bearings
b4tibr2j.1qh.jpg

Tightened up main caps for the last time

5yf0tyuf.km0.jpg

new big end bearings are all in with pistons etc

j2dds3qk.nrb.jpg

spun the balance shaft bearings 180 degrees to remove shafts

dpgc2hd3.54v.jpg

blocked up main balance shaft hole with cold weld metal putty stuff my
cousin used it with his and said works very well no leaks ever

5qxcotlm.mms.jpg

inner of the oil pump showing the cold weld very nice and clean

nomucn10.y3m.jpg

outside with cold weld looks all good but does the job :)

2xx4lw4i.tyt.jpg

picking up oil pump gasket in morning from Mitsubishi dealer so that will be the bottom end done n need to find the original oil filter housing lol then just need to get the exhaust valves all cleaned up and new valve stem seals n that the head done then just save for cambelt and cosmetic head gasket to handle the turbo and lower the compression a little....maybe or might keen it standard compression then engine mount rubbers put engine in do the interior wiring part of the loom in get flywheel and clutch kit modify my drive-shaft and we are away then it will be time to do the interior and exterior (keeping the same color :) will keep the thread updated in each part with all the details that i do so keep tuned

Bottom end is now all reconditioned looks very nice indeed

dxogw1r4.o4w.jpg

Now up to the head reassembly have just finished doing the valve lapping as replaced 2 valves as they had minor pitting and had some better spares so used them the only parts i need for the head is the head gasket and the valve stem seals

wpxy3yso.kwd.jpg
psd0nvz1.fj1.jpg
3t0py253.hxi.jpg
j1sob1wz.5a2.jpg
haz4uwqh.l2i.jpg
351ivex2.vnx.jpg
k2gy3txw.mkx.jpg
oanc4lp5.01g.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

update time got my new 4g63t head gasket 30 bucks :) nice discount at repco

just mocked up the engine to get pics as head is all together now all ready to go on just sussed a evo 5 intake plenum $91 delivered so its front facing so i will be modding that to suit my engine

rjgas3vu.j5g.jpg
554vimoq.anq.jpg
mhmu2qnp.1sp.jpg

i have put the engine in the galant to see how space is between the firewall and thermostat housing and there was absolutely none but there was a space between the cam angle sensor so all i need to do is make the thermostat housing less protrusive than the cam angle sensor

t3lazlmn.saw.jpg
wmkigf4q.m0j.jpg
fakwqipf.non.jpg

i thought and thought n thought again then tried a few ideas none worked that wouldn't involve a lot of welding so i slept on the thought the next day i came up with a brilliant plan :) and i will tell u all next time when its all done with pics to explain :) update soon

Ok here are the pics of what i have done used steel putty to extend the mounting surface drilled and tapped the hole and bolted on to head so now i just make the radiator hose piece go to the side piping witch will have the thermostat housing welded onto it then it will have the radiator hose going from the thermostat housing to the top radiator hose

4ud2tk4g.ev5.jpg
h3tei432.ebj.jpg
tvuhoi5h.hpd.jpg
oyrmp5nd.rb4.jpg
fo34jlij.5ih.jpg
1qwt4vzg.0mq.jpg
4qchmjox.xyq.jpg
31hivxie.3bi.jpg
1hso1u0f.mrl.jpg
ihfrrylq.xhd.jpg
gptir2yu.jgr.jpg
25i0220p.ncj.jpg
abnxmrwc.afn.jpg

will upload pics of when its complete

The Rear Coolant pipes I've made and welded myself blew a few holes or else would of been alot better looking

qx02egi1.x3u.jpg
e0pzhsbi.lh1.jpg
z4qorxw5.eqb.jpg
tcu3cwg3.d1m.jpg
bfiecd0p.ucn.jpg
2bkc4f3o.14d.jpg

Heads back together just mocking it up with the stock front facing plenum no welding needed

wax5lr2t.jmy.jpg
rwyjpkuv.jr1.jpg
zvtbh5ka.z1u.jpg
301w5mrw.3ze.jpg
205lihxd.m0l.jpg
q0zqdhmk.u3j.jpg
022vcchf.enl.jpg

Radiator hose connecting the thermostat housing and head now just need the radiator hoses to the radiator and need to get a 180 degree bent pipe or try mock up another piece to sort the water pump sides of things but at the moment ive just found a 4g63t full package so buying that for the full forged setup later on also couldn't get any cheap engine mounts so making my own one piece solid mounts for it should be done tomorrow

14veknua.fgy.jpg

• 5 years later...
On 6/17/2013 at 16:18, comando_man said:

update time got my new 4g63t head gasket 30 bucks :) nice discount at repco

just mocked up the engine to get pics as head is all together now all ready to go on just sussed a evo 5 intake plenum $91 delivered so its front facing so i will be modding that to suit my engine

rjgas3vu.j5g.jpg
554vimoq.anq.jpg
mhmu2qnp.1sp.jpg

i have put the engine in the galant to see how space is between the firewall and thermostat housing and there was absolutely none but there was a space between the cam angle sensor so all i need to do is make the thermostat housing less protrusive than the cam angle sensor

t3lazlmn.saw.jpg
wmkigf4q.m0j.jpg
fakwqipf.non.jpg

i thought and thought n thought again then tried a few ideas none worked that wouldn't involve a lot of welding so i slept on the thought the next day i came up with a brilliant plan :) and i will tell u all next time when its all done with pics to explain :) update soon

how did you end up with so much clearance between cas and firewall? ive done exact same swap but only have 5mm clearance haha